Why do jumpers use Wileys?

ozski

• Baller
Ok so I can take an educated guess at this but its a bit odd that in slalom we have plenty of healthy debate around binding choice for various reasons. Safety, performance, comfort. Jumpers almost always use Wiley boots so they must offer the best performance and safety for jumping which is fine but i could imagine snow skiers looking at water ski jumpers and wondering about our setups..

• Baller
Yeah sure but my question is why still rubber? As far as slalom goes there seems to be a consensus that you can get better performance from other types of boot systems so why not jumping? I just look at the way ski's have advanced and boats, ropes, speed control... And then we have the Wiley design hanging in from the 70's...

• Baller
OB4s? I agree- Wileys are a very well-crafted 1970s design. WIleys are super high quality and their wrap options allow pretty good customization, but it's still an old design. What percentage of jumpers use anything else, though- 10%? Less? In my jumping days, I used Connelly HPs, then HO Animals, but I wasn't any good and I was an oddball using those. D3s seem like they'd be a pretty good option.

• Baller
I seem to recall Jon Travers jumped pretty far on some Fluid Motions back when he was a jumper but I agree with @eleeski on the issue around pre-release. There is less risk for a mechanical failure with rubber than with the newer bindings and there is much greater stress on jump bindings than slalom or trick. For jumpers that go far Wiley's has bindings with extra support built in to them and I am not aware of any other manufacturer that offers that.

• Baller
D3 would never recommend their slalom bindings for jump. They actually sell Wiley's for that application. Wiley's has a dual wrap system that completely locks the jumpers foot in place. Of course, it also squeezes every Ml of blood out of your foot and into your forehead. But you're foot is NOT moving. And it's more than just about pre-release. A jumper can't have any movement once they roll in for the ramp.

• Baller_

Cause that is what works the best! Sometimes old tech is better..

Way Back when at one of the last superstars on lake David I watched one of the McCormick boys that utilized the ARC binding loose the left in front of the jump.................................

• Baller

@Jody_Seal the McCormick boys were not known for taking care of their equipment, maintenance is required. Equipment failure is most often operator error.

I have jumped for the past twenty years with the ARC, now OB4 system and never had a pre release. Both my kids grew up jumping with the system. I have jumped 140' on 5 foot and 165' on 5.5 foot ramp with this system.

Rubber never pre releases and causes all kinds of injuries because it does not release in a safe manner during crashes.

My jump bindings flex forward better than rubber.

Those giant planks can create quite a bit of leverage around your knees and ankles. My binding system has saved both my knees and ankles numerous times.

While I am not jumping world record distances, neither are most of the jumpers out there. But knee and ankle injuries happen more to that amateur group of skiers while learning to jump and trying to progress.

@ozski No binding system is perfect, injuries happen. Each skier has to determine what works best for himself. Any jumpers that are interested in trying the OB4 system can do so safely. Mis-information is rampant when people are not actually using the product.

Do snow ski slopes allow non releasable bindings on snow skis?

Mike's Overall Binding

USA Water Ski  Senior Judge   Senior Driver   Senior Tech Controller

• Baller

Way back in the day when Freddie first started he was sponsored by Obrien. They had those crappy, soft, plastic based "Advantage" bindings. I remember him trying to keep those things pieced together with screws all over and extra wraps.

Besides the pre release issue, I would have to say that the reason is that Wiley's have a super solid base and attachment method that securely holds everything together. As vertical wall attachment of the rubber became the norm after HO came out with their boot, the attachment in most all bindings became plastic to plastic instead of to metal. Not very solid or safe.

Other boots worked back in the day. My wife was sponsored by Connelly and we used HP plates. Nothing worse than being a slalom guy who has to cram double high wraps onto rubber bindings that you don't even use... Not a fun way to spend the evening.

• Supporting Member

I wonder if I were 18 again and OB4s had already been invented if I might consider jumping?

Nah, probably not.

But anyhow, I think this is a really interesting topic, because a properly maintained and set up OB4 system seems to me would have huge advantages over rubber. Look at those huge lever-arms (aka skis) and oh-btw you start out with only one foot in! So I would desperately want to be able to eject in rotation. BUT with pre-releases having such potential danger, there is more responsibility on the user to be sure he/she never jumps with it set up incorrectly.

Interesting tradeoff.

I used to work at Wileys - way longer ago than I would like to admit - building bindings.

The jump bindings are great for a number of reasons.

1) They are customizable - thickness and number of wraps, and thickness of rubber allows for a boot as stiff or flexible as desired.

2) The foot bed is padded. We played around with all kinds of options from just a piece of foam to multiple levels of rubber, especially in the heel, to custom foot beds on top of rubber for cushion. You can specify your level of padding.

3) Easy on and off. These bindings release extremely predictably.

4) Easy to rebuild. If a wrap or finger hole tear it is a cheap five minute job rather than needing another binding.

• Baller

@Mike Gile

4) Easy to rebuild. If a wrap or finger hole tear it is a cheap five minute job rather than needing another binding.

Easy for someone who worked there... Give me some vice grips and an half an hour and I can get them as good as new. Might have to stop for a beer half way through.

• Baller
It's been a long time since I jumped, but I couldn't imaging using anything but rubber. It seems to me that sit back landings would also be really rough on your legs if in a rigid binding that didn't give backwards.

• Baller

@Cumby85 properly setup hard shell boots must flex forward and backwards for jumping, not be too rigid. Mine do.

@ozski comfort is one huge advantage. Increased lateral control is another. Safe releases in a rough landing also lead to better performances...

Mike's Overall Binding

USA Water Ski  Senior Judge   Senior Driver   Senior Tech Controller