Yellowing of hull

6balls

• Baller

The swamp this year is particularly swampy...and as some know my 196 is nearly all white. All the wetted surface is white...but is staining from the water despite wipe downs etc. For the most part it's in the water long enough for 2 guys to run two sets then back on the lift. What's the best product to whiten her back up with the least effort? Anything other than wax to slow the recurrence?

THX

• Baller

As far as I'm concerned, Starbrite Instant Hull Cleaner is the best there is.

The wetted surfaces on my boat as nearly all white... just like yours. I've always been very meticulous about keeping the boat clean (or so I thought). Last year, on a whim, I tried this stuff and was astonished as to the difference it makes. It was like night and day.

Apply it on a calm day when it won't blow back into your eyes. Also, you're going to want to wear gloves.

http://www.starbrite.com/item/instant-hull-cleaner?category_id=566

• Baller_

There were a couple of summers where I had to leave my old boat in the water for a couple days and it was long enough to stain it. My full treatment in the fall was:

StarBrite Instant Hull cleaner + rinse boat

CLR wiped on full strength to remove water spots with immediate rinse and towel dry

3M Marine Cleaner and Wax for light oxidation

Meguiars Premium Flagship Marine Wax

Once I had the boat cleaned, I wiped it down after each use and didn't have to repeat the procedure unless I had left it in the water overnight. When I sold that boat, it looked great.

For my current boat, I have not left it in the water and wipe down after each use. I have not had to do any cleaning other than wash and wax with the Meguiars. Looks like new still.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller
Don't forget the rubber gloves. Lysol toilet bowl cleaner is what I use as well. Will remove the wax. Put on the Nu Finish car polish today after cleaning the brown muck off. People on this sight recommended it.

Another Vote for Oxalic Acid.

Commercially sold in Aus as Rust & Stain remover.

I mix a lid full with a cup of Truck Wash in about 5 litres of water & just spray it on with a garden sprayer.

Watch the stains disappear in a matter of minutes & then hose it all down.

Never had any problems doing it on my lawn, but am always generous with the rinse down as it can cause a little rust if you let the solution remain.

• Baller

Ah.... I like to ski, but when a lot of the posts above involve toilet cleaner.... makes me wonder about your swamp? Any somehow makes my swamp all that much cleaner.... Thanks for the pick me up!

I would add, like above posts, get a good solid coat of wax on there after you get it clean again. That will definitely help!

• Baller
This weekend's project is going to be to clean and then polish the hull. My normal favourite Starbrite Instant Hull Cleaner (noted above) wasn't available. So I picked up some Spray Nine Boat Bottom Cleaner. I'll be interested to see how it is similar/different.

• Baller
Update: Starbrite hull cleaner worked great. On with sponge and no scrubbing the discoloration just begins disappearing til gone. Very impressed. No time to wax and may have to use it prior to having time but if have to do another quick application before wax no biggie.

• Baller
I've been doing this trick just this year to try to keep hard water spots off my boat, 50/50 plain white vinegar and spray wax, i've got a wide black stripe down the hull and waves would spray it whenever the wind comes up, this has worked really well for me just doing once a week, might help with yellowing? really cheap and simple to try.

• Baller
Best thing I ever use was Tarn X jewelry cleaner. Just a small amount in the bottom of a spray bottle and fill the rest with water. Spray on wipe around and quickly spray off. then hit it with soapy water. I grew up on the Chester river on the Chesapeake and it is known as a body of water leaves brown stains. The pro boat detailers used this trick. Don't leave it on long. The brown will run right off.