Lake Dye - Sapphire Bay?

LakeOneSkier

• Baller

Our lake is considering using a new dye that I'm not familiar with: Sapphire Bay. Has anybody here used this product? Any feedback?

https://www.lakerestoration.com/p-39-sapphire-bay.aspx

Historically we've used AquaShade, 9 gallons has done a good job. The rep pushing Sapphire Bay is saying we'll need 16 gallons. Total cost of 16 gallons of Sapphire Bay is a bit less than 9 of AquaShade.

• Baller
@MS - about $80. Depending on a person's color desire - one, two, or three would be great for a private ski site. (Other factors like depth, length, width affect how much is needed) Our lake is an average of 8 feet deep, 2000 feet long and 240 feet wide.

• Baller_
We have about 19 million gallons of water in a 2250 X 300. That would appear to be cheaper then what it took to do ours a few years back. We bought 14 one gallon jugs from Tractor supply for 35 ea. It was good color but not close to what you need for algae/weed control. We would just be adding it for looks at this point.

• Baller
It comes down to solid content in a gallon and price per gallon. Both consist of acid blue and acid yellow, which is pretty common. Typically in a 10:1 ratio, blue to yellow, or close if I remember right. So get the solid contents and divide into the cost per gallon, whichever is cheaper, probably the way to go. Doesn't sound like enough to block weeds and algae though. I guess we found that our lake needs to be deep blue to knock out algae. My two friends who each have lakes with weed problems also keep their lakes very blue. just my 2c.

Sensient Blue should be about 100.00 .It is a dry granule so there is 4.4 lbs in a gallon. 16 oz/1 lb covers about 6 surface acres 4 feet deep. If your seroius about blocking the sun for Weeds and Algea use 3 gallons of the Blue and a gallon of the Black. It also takes away the fake blue color and Naturalizes the lake.

• Baller

Yellow blocks the higher sun rays, blue blocks lower. Think Treble and Bass for frequency.

We used blue only for years and still had good results, and now periodically throw yellow in. It makes it more blue greenish in appearance. I buy 15 gallon totes of blue liquid and it comes out like syrup, so solid content is very high. I can only find yellow in powder form, and it can get messy.

The Sensient product is very neat and easy to use, just not as cost effective as the syrup. It's through a friend of a friend sort of thing, and when I can no longer get it, I will probably go to Sensient.