Nautique 206 or 216

Chris Taylor

• Baller
I owned a 196 and then a 206. The 206 is a great boat and skis just as great. A buddy bought a 216. The 216 was an attempt at a good crossover boat and the wake wasn't big enough for wake boarding and too big for slalom. That being said I could free ski the 216 at 28 off but the wake was a bit of a concern. No way I'd want to ski it at longer lines or slower than 34mph. If you're serious about skiing in the course, get the 206 instead of the 216.

• Baller
I have a 2003 206 and love it. The slalom wake is fine for me (34 mph) although the wake is a little big for my kids and wife who are slower speed slalom skiers (17-28 mph). With enough weight, it provides enough wake for a beginner to intermediate wakeboarder or kneeboarder. Frankly, I think newer wakeboarders benefit from the smaller and narrow wake (as compared to most v-drives) anyway. I am in the middle of a job installing aftermarket ballast for boarding purposes as well. If interested, I can send pics when done. It also barefoots adequately for our purposes. We have found it to be a perfect overall family boat.