HO Syndicate V-Type Short Review

Horton

• Administrators

Unfortunately, this review & my season were cut short by an injury. I rode the Ho V-Type for about 10 of the allotted 25 rides. I will tell you what I do know and what I do not know.

Overall: Before I got hurt, I strongly suspected that this ski would make my short list of personal favorites. With only half of the allotted rides, I feel that I have to be a little inconclusive, but I am telling you that this is one hell of a ski.

As I have stated previously in other posts, I believe there is a trend toward softer flex skis. The V-Type is the first mass production ski that I am aware of with tip flex numbers in the low 130s. The flex numbers on my V-Type are 72/98/118/131. In years past soft skis were thought to be slow or finicky at the ball. The V-Type displays neither of these attributes.

Turns: Ridden aggressively or ridden with more finesse, this ski turns very consistently and creates a lot of angle. The sweet spot at shorter line lengths is maybe smaller than some other skis but not by much. I am unsure about this as I did not have enough rides. I am not sure I found the right spot to stand on this ski – 10 rides is not enough. The next thing I was going to try was to ride the ski extra neutral – equal weight on both feet and much less total body movement.

At the time of my injury I was searching for the right stance for an even better On Side. I found that I had to be careful to not fall to the inside approaching On Side. I can only speculate why but the V-Type requires a skier to be more vigilant about keeping their inside shoulder up when approaching the ball.

I also noticed that when I brought the handle slightly forward all the way from the edge change to the apex the ski turned extremely well. I assume it was simply a matter of maintaining a little extra rope tension but I am not sure.

From the Ball to the Wakes: (I am guilty of saying this about most skis in the last year) The V-Type is best when the skier does not apply too much extra effort through the wakes. If you set your angle and just hold it you will have more than enough speed before the centerline. Past HO Skis like the A1 and A2 encouraged the skier to work harder. The V-Type is not that kind of HO.

The ski is fast and makes a lot of space in front of the ball. There are skis that may make more space but I am not sure if any ski makes more space and turns as well as the V-Type. As with most modern high end skis, the V-Type is not nearly as fast if the skier’s weight is back.

From the Wakes to the Ball: The V-Type is stable enough from the wakes to the ball to make the skier feel comfortable moving forward approaching the apex. Simply put the ski feels comfortable before the ball.

Conclusion: Based on the 10 rides I had, the V-Type is the best HO since the A1.

• Baller
What do you mean by handle "slightly forward"? You don't mean to disconnect your elbows from your vest do you? Also, did you ever feel like the ski was running down course when it should have been hooking up? I just was at a ski clinic and that was what they saw but said they don't know what kind of adjustment to make for that. It almost looked like "it was too stiff of a ski and it was not flexing when it should have been"

• Administrators

@Ilivetoski No not more separated. As the handle gets pulled off your hips on the way to the ball you can push it forward instead of just feeding it to the boat. It is a very subtle move.

As for trouble getting the ski to turn and having it run down course? Not event a little. I do not relate to that at all.

• Baller

My 67" V-Type sticker shows flex #s of 70/96/113/123. I'm getting no sensation of slow or finicky at all. I'm 190 lbs and have a tendency to load the line more than I need or should out of the turn so I'm really putting the flex to the test. Right now, I wouldn't change a thing. I'm curious if my sticker numbers are accurate....123#....Wow! I wonder if they meant to write 132? If not, no wonder the V-Type needs the chatter dampener on the front of the ski.

• Baller
@Horton what bindings were you running on the V-type? I ask because I have nixed the idea to go with a SL CX and am now leaning towards the V-type. And, likely sticking with my Animal boots. Unless there are some strong reviews for the new HO VMax boots.

• Baller
@ALPJr I used the V-Max bindings at first but trying the ski along with new bindings just didn't work out right. The V-Max bindings are super light and comfortable. They really accentuate the "superlight" construction of the V-Type. The mounting philosophy is interesting too. I don't really like that they don't have a removable liner....I think removable is safer. I'd stick with the binding you're used too until you're used to the ski. After that the V-Max boots are worth trying.

• Baller

@Horton I did my first session on my V-Type with OB4 front binding & RTP. All my fears vanished of the ski being to advanced for my level (6 month novice) It glided like butter on a pancake and the stability was amazing compared to the nervousness of my free ride. I also felt in control this i think in great part to the OB4 binding. I still have along way to go in improving my technique, i got a lot of spray in my face which I blame mostly for being to flat crossing the wakes and a loose line for lack of angle, but the handling and control that I felt was an amazing confidence booster.

• Baller
@Steveo one guy in my state was asking what I thought about it. He was coming off the S2. I know he got it after the tournament that day and the next time I saw him I asked how it was. He said "well there's something wrong with that ski. Its like cheating."

• Baller
I was able to get in a few passes before an early morning T-storm cut my ride short. On the pull up I sensed this ski is going to be special as it felt very light under foot. I immediately felt very comfortable on this ski. Very user friendly. Normally I like to free ski a new ski to get a feel for it but went straight to the course instead. My my my, I was able to get wide and early with very little effort. I think this is going to be my next ski!

• Baller

been playing around a bit with the ski some more and am starting to really like it. I have about 20 sets on it now.

I'm at now, just took a little length away and added some depth:

29 11/16 and my rear boot (Strada) is no longer touching my front heal, but back 1 hole on the sequence plate. this has tightened up my turns and made the ski more stable.

Would be cool to see slow motion video of newer "soft" skis compared with older generation "stiff" skis and compare tip chatter at short line speeds. Not close to the level for noticible tip chatter on my ski. Alpine skiing I have experienced tip chatter on some larger powder skis I've used and it is a bothersome sensation. Especially when initiating a turn at high speeds. For you more experienced ballers does tip chatter have a positive/negative impact or no effect on your skiing?

• Baller

I was lucky to get a private demo vtr 67"with Will Asher who set set up the ski and coached me and gave great feedback. I'm on an A2 67.5",which I love, but is tough on my body.

Off the dock the ski was very quick the began to push it and wow, mowed through tough passes for me. I am 213lbs but felt the ski was so much less strain on my body. My question is, since they didn't have a 68 for demo should I purchase a 67 or 68? Comments welcome