The first ever Malibu Cup will take place this weekend in Alabama!

Horton

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Baller
Sorry @Bill22 it was coming down pretty good, and the Lightning was getting pretty close. We had to get on the road. 4 hour drive south. Most had taken off. I felt bad they had Trent run his -41 in the rain. Dude was rocking though

• Baller

Round 1

Smith 1@43

Asher 5.5@41

Parrish 5.5@41

Travers 4@41

Odvarko 3@41

Degasperi 3@41

McClintock 3@41

Detrick 3@41

Wilson 2.25@41

FWinter 2@41

TWinter 2@41

Neveu 2@41

Stadlbaur 2@41

Bartalsky 2@41

Vaughn 1.5@41

Yager 1@41

Allais 5@39

Adams 5@39

Brantley 3@39

Howley 2.5@39

Luzzeri 1.5@39

Warner 3@38

Efverstrom 1.5@32

Round 2

Smith 0@43

McClintock 3@41

Vaughn 3@41

FWinger 2.5@41

Odvarko 2@41

Detrick 2@41

Wilson 2@41

Allais 2@41

Nevu 2@41

Stadlbaur 2@41

Adams 2@41

Finlayson 2@41

Howley 1.5@41

Brantley 1@41

Yager 1@41

TWinter .5@41

Sedlmajer .5@41

Bartalsky .5@41

Degasperi 6@39

Luzzeri 1.5@39

Efverstrom .5@39

Warner .5@39

-39 was run 35 times.

• Baller

This event reminds me of the 2014 MC Shootout which was also held on a purpose built lake. I believe skiers needed to get 2.5@41 to make it to the big show. 16 different guys ran -39 that weekend and 5 of the guys were piled up at 3@41. The Shootout I believe "set a recored" for most -39s run but I think that was surpassed today on the water at @LLUSA.

The competition on the river tomorrow will be interesting. I'm hoping for moomba type conditions where the best of the best truly pullout all the stops to win. I did hear that the river will be closed to traffic and the damns will be powered down to proved the best possible conditions.

• Baller

Women Prelims

Round 1

Jaquess .5@41

McClintock 3.5@39

Krueger 2@39

Dodd 2@39

Costard 1.5@39

Arthur 1@39

Truelove .5@39

Baldwin 2@38

Adriaensen 1@38

Coble .5@38

Round 2

Jaquess 1@41

Costard 4@39

Truelove 1@39

Arthur 4@38

Coble 3@38

Baldwin 2.5@38

Adriaensen 3@35

• Baller

The top 4 women and 6 men from the first round will advance to Saturday. In the case of a tie, if there are no more than 2 tied for the last spot, both will advance. If there are more than two tied for the last spot, all tied skiers must ski second round and the highest score from this round advances. If there is still a tie, we will go to elite ranking list. These skiers will be numbered 1-4 and 1-6.

Round 2 will start immediately after round 1 and will be reseeded. The top 4 women and 6 men from round 2 will also advance to Saturday. These numbers may change if there are ties in the first round. Ties in the second round will be broken based off first round, then elite ranking list.. These skiers will be numbered 5-8 and 7- 12.

• Baller

Nice looking website, but when you go to find results on it, you can find results from 2014,

2013, and 2012. But no 2015 results so far, and yesterday's running order. See:

http://www.malibuopenfestival.com/results.html

http://www.malibuopenfestival.com/uploads/2/5/2/5/25259310/malibu_cup_running_order_-_friday.pdf

BTW: neat idea to set aside time yesterday for officials to ski. Back On The Tour, I might have

taken advantage of such an opportunity...to wreck myself on the ramp. Wonder if any of the

Lymanland officials did ski?

• Baller
I have to install a course and remove each time we ski. By myself, I can do it in 45 minutes because I am used to it. I am getting a kick out of these folks who ski on private lakes with surveyed courses install a portable course. :)

• Baller
Sorry, but this is unwatchable and it really looks like someone is going to get hurt on that water. There is no way they can ski in the manner they need to to be safe. That is way worse than Moomba. Furthermore, I don't think it does much to promote the sport of slalom in this setting.

• Baller
Watching April ski makes me wonder if we'll see any 39's run today - even with a 4-ball course. Like Regina said yesterday... "everyone's an underdog on the river!" It will be interesting to see what pans out. Gotta think strong skiing styles like Freddy, Will and CP will be favorites for the men or a scrap master like Tgas. My pick is Freddy for today! Regina for the ladies!

• Administrators

What is happening at the Malibu Cup finals?!?!?!

The short story is that the river has roughly 4 feet more water in it today that expected. Because of the current or whatever (I am unclear) that extra water is making a floating course impossible to keep in place. So as of 11:40 PST they are all heading back to LymanLand for the final. There will not be semi final => just one round of final.

Tune into the webcast at about 3:15 Alabama time (Central Time Zone)

http://livestream.com/accounts/50695/events/4152076

• Baller
Well unfortunately it appears the weather isn't going to cooperate. But I was able to watch quite a bit of the webcast yesterday and today and huge kudos to @Kelvin and crew for an amazing job with the webcast. Technically the signal was nearly flawless (probably all on my end) and the video was really well done. Easily the best quality webcast I've seen to date. Great job!!

• Baller

I believe the Bar has definitely been raised on Video Production of this event..Especially the DVR Aspect, which allowed us to go ski ourselves and come back and review it later with a Cold One in hand !!!!!

THANKS....GREAT JOB !!!!

• Baller

Having experienced many river site events back On The Tour, let me express my sympathy.

With few exceptions, the river sites were near-disasters at best. One positive is that they

weren't trying to hold jumping at Tuscaloosa.

The Tour kept attempting to put on an event on the river at Wichita, KS, the home of Coleman,

and ran into major difficulties 3 out of 4 years there. I remember that one Men SL was won

by a score of 1. Yup: 1 buoy at the starting speed, with Geoff Carrington the winner. At that

event, only one guy ran a full pass in earlier rounds (Mike Hazelwood).

• Baller
I bet a lot of the officals had to leave, skiers had travel plans. Boats could have been needed elsewhere. Agreement with lake owner. It is unfortunate that it didn't get completed but there are many reasons why it probably did not go off today.

• Administrators

Some skiers did have plane tickets in the morning and the forecast for this morning did not look good. Some skiers wanted to ski and some were happy to let prelim scores stand.

It is a shame all the way around considering the work that went into organizing the event.

• Baller
The top 6 from round 1 earned a bye into the finals. They had the option to ski round 2. Nate chose to ski round 2, the others opted out. Some were required to ski round 2 as a runoff for the ties for spots 4,5 and 6.

Hey guys, thanks to everyone who tuned in for the Malibu Cup. Kelvin as always did a great job with the web cast and raised the bar. As you guys were able to see, the skiing was next level. Performances were off the charts. The weather did not cooperate with us at all. As we were getting set up for the finals on the river, the corp of Engineers opened the flood locks and raised the river about 5 feet in less than an hour. Needless to say, the course on the river did not survive the current we were facing. For a few minutes, I thought we would have to finish the event in Mobile which is several hours south. Which is the direction the slalom course was headed. There was an agreement in place to keep the locks closed on Saturday, however with the amount of rain throughout the state, the corp had to open it up. We received no warning. I pulled Nate down and back, and between passes, the river rose about 4 inches. It was crazy. The skiers stepped up and went out and skied a down and back each because despite the weather, there were about 3500 spectators. I appreciate the skiers, getting out there and putting on a show. Surprisingly most of them returned to the dock with a smile because they enjoyed the challenge. Tuscaloosa want the event to return and we will have an alternative plan in place.