Steering cable or wheel?

swc5150

• Baller
The steering on my '06 196 was kind of sloppy and would "catch" once in a while. I followed @6balls advice and found the loose Allen screw on the steering column. Now since I've tightened my steering wheel down, all slop is gone, but steering is pretty tight now. It loosens up when I back off the steering wheel nut, so am I over tightening the wheel on the shaft?

• Baller

I have a similar problem. Took steering off along with several other components. There were two allen screw that were loose. Everything else seemed ok. Put it all back together and tightened the allen screws. Still had slop in the wheel and was still a bit hard to turn. Took at look at rudder stuffing box and connection of shaft to rudder, which had some hard residue on it. Cleaned and greased shaft. Greased stuffing box and went for test drive. Steering much easier now but still has too much slop for our liking. Also adjusted the trim tab on rudder and went from neutral to all the way to the right... made no difference. Our guess now is that the coupler (for lack of the proper term) that connects the tilt wheel spindle to the rack n pinion shaft is worn and needs replaced or possible shimmed.

Any other suggestions or guesses? @Jody_Seal

Didn't mean to hi-jack thread, but I'm hearing/reading more of these similar issues and looks like several of use could use some help.

• Baller

I found on our 2000 SN, over tightening the allen screws in the tilt mechanism can make the steering stiff. I don't remember if over tightening the main steering wheel nut made a difference or not though.

I didn't play with it long enough to truly understand what was going on but it seems like all those bolts and screws have a happy place.

• Baller
Will be interesting to see what people say about this, I have some free play in the steering on our 196 as well but it seems to be at the wheel rather than the cable. My first step will be to replace the cable because it is 10 years old - and then look at what else needs fixing or replacing.

• Baller

@sw5150 my guess is your cable. I had a new cable and rudder packing done and my steering was seriously fingertip like operating in butter. This was for years.

The catching issue then developed and as you know we snugged the screws. I now have slightly more steering effort, no on-center play...really nice.

• Baller
The odd thing about it, that kind of makes me to believe it's not the cable, is if I back off the steering wheel nut a turn, I can turn the wheel with a finger. They're such a pain in the @ss to replace, that I want to rule out this nut thing first.

• Baller_

One very common issue with the Teleflex rack steering system and one that can mask making owners thing their cable is shot is the rubber boot that covers the tilt assembly can ride up out of it's grove and start rubbing against the under side of the steering wheel hub. once the boot is re-worked over the tilt assembly and back in it's groove the wheel will feel more free.

Another item to look at is make sure the rudder port packing nut is tight against the locking nut and not turning with the tiller arm. when this happens turning one way seems good but binds when turning the other.

• Baller

@Jody_Seal I understand how the rubber boot could cause the steering to be tight/stiff, but what can be done about the slop in the steering wheel?

After we took off the wheel, we eliminated the cable as the primary issue as the the base helm assembly was tight and had no slop. We believe the issue is in the tilt wheel assembly, even after we tightened the allen screws.

Thanks for your help.

• Baller
@swc5150 Check the cable where it connects to the rudder. Will need to turn the wheel all the way to one side to ensure you have most of the cable exposed. Ours had a calcification on it. We used a scotch brite pad to clean it up, added some grease and the wheel turns much, much easier now. Still has some slop, but not nearly as bad.