Reflex Surprise Release Issuse Help

KcSwerver

• Baller

hey ballers, it's been a while since i've posted here. good to be back!

I have been running a reflex 500 release on my syndicate A3 for almost 3 years now. Recently I am struggling a lot with the binding releasing for no reason as I cross the wake. I believe the impact of the wakes is tripping the system. (happened 5 times over the course of 6 sets this weekend)

Since this started happening, I have inspected the system. The release is set at the same tension as I have always had it (about 5) but there is some play in the boot. I think some parts of the system have shifted over time enough to let the boot slide a little in the system.

to be quite honest, I have about a month left of skiing this year before I go to school, and I do not feel safe skiing as it is right now. in a perfect world I would just buy a new reflex but I want to get back out a few times before I leave, and limited time and money say that won't work...

I think my immediate option is to move the release mechanism's mounting assembly closer to the horse shoe one set of holes to tighten the boot in the system.

-OR-

I could take the 404 reflex off of my trick ski and hope I can get the binding placement close (although I doubt I can position it well because the mounting plate is very screwy)

I just want to make the most out of this last month of skiing

Any suggestions, warnings or thoughts?

Thanks so much

-Bryan

• Baller

Typically the arms on the silveretta and/or the screws start to wear out. The original screws are fully threaded and way undersized for the hole in the silveretta arm so they wear out even faster. Remove the screws, clean up the holes to the closest size, and put in new hardware....preferably with a smooth shank on the screws and not fully threaded but that may be hard to find outside of aviation hardware. Also make sure you put them in loosely so the arms move smoothly but with loctite or a self locking nut.

i39oad71rwcw.jpg

• Baller

Thanks everyone for the suggestions! I took apart my release mechanism and inspected it all. spring is not broken, horseshoe is not loose.

I decided to drill holes on my 404 plate to fit my A3 hole pattern for the rest of my summer. I will probably send an email to reflex and see what they say about it (although I think I might have the masterline boot on the 500.) I am sure it is the Silvretta release/Metal arms that have become compromised.

Again, Thanks so much. It's great to have such a helpful community active in this sport.

• Baller
Kcswerver-- move the heel release forward the boot wears after time in the toe area giving the system more distance from toe to heel. you have the blocks with two sets of holes easy just move the heel release forward. the heel should be not be able to be pulled off the block when the heel is up and locked.

• Baller

How old is the boot itself? I've been using my Reflex boot a lot, but only for a few months now. What I have noticed is obvious "impressions" in the boot at the horseshoe and heel positioners. If you've used the boot a long time, You may try a newer boot to see if the issue still occurs. That's just me, and I do not have long term experience. So pure conjecture.

It's more plausible than my normal sarcasm