Transitioning from cool/faster to warm/slower water. Wing Change? Any ideas??

MikeT

Skiing up here in the Boston area. I've got a Goode NanoXT. Been skiing solid into 38. Over the last couple of weeks it seems like it's taking a little more effort to get the same width as I was getting before. The turn follow through seems slightly restricted. I've got stock setting for sure. My wing is set at 10. On all prior skis in past years my wing was always set at 8 degrees. I started with 9 last year when I got the Nano and then went to 10 towards the middle of the summer. Skied good with 10 into the fall getting to 5@38 on some sets. Any ideas? I don't want to touch the fin settings if I don't have to. Does anyone else commonly make wing changes when the water heats up and slows. I'm wondering about going to 9.5 or 9.0 on the wing. I feel the ski is just not quite as responsive and quick as it was just a few weeks ago.

• Administrators

Unless the water temp change is RADICAL I am not a fan of tweaking for water temp. Lots of guys do it but I think it does more harm then good.

On the flip side of that a few degrees of wing is a harmless thing to try

I wonder about this idea. My binding was set at 29" last year. I moved to 28 7/8" last fall which is where it is now. 29 is stock It was skiing good with it in this spot until recently so I kept it the same. Typically Binding forward does what?? I'm under the impression that forward puts more ski in the water and should speed it up a bit.

• Baller
Not necessarily so. More ski in the water once you change edges is gonna go slower. At least I feels that way to me. I've heard lots of guys mention moving the bindings back a bit to "free the ski up".

• Baller
I would keep the wing on stock setting for the speed you go most of the time. Less angle at 34 MPH verses 36 MPH. I had a different setting for my wing angle depending on the ski I was on. My last ski I kept it at 5 degrees, my current one 7 degrees. You may have to experiment to see what works best. My ski is pretty much on stock setting for everything. I moved the fin back from .80 from the tail to .76 from the tail. I had a ski a long time ago where I took the wings off because it did not respond the way I liked it.