Fin settings on my T2

Razorskier1

• Baller

So I haven't felt quite right all year. Finally decided to check with some folks on fin measurements. Checked with Jeff Rodgers through @OB, and with Andy. It seemed DFT was the one odd measurement. To test the theory and better understand the impact of DFT, I moved it back from over 0.80 to 0.74. Big move I know, and you fin purists would probably never do it, but I really wanted to feel change. BTW, Jeff suggested 0.79 as did Andy. Wow! First, I really like it. The ski gets more angle and holds more angle, and just feels more balanced to me. It gave me tons more space before the ball.

Checked with Andy. He told me that making it longer would put the ski more in front of me, whereas making it shorter would bring it back under my feet. Too far back and the tip engages too much, too soon, and the ski will tend to get behind, then the tip will rise at the finish as you react to the tip going down. Adjusted perfectly, the ski stays with you and turns with lots of angle.

I'm not sure this is perfect, because it seems longer than anyone's I know. However, the ski is now doing what I want it to do and has felt awesome through my first four sets. Truth will come out when I have time to dive into -38.

Lots of you probably a.ready understood the impact of DFT. I didn't, but now I do.

• Baller
@Razorskier1, just to be clear, was the "wow" for .790 or .740? Also, when you say longer do you really mean further back as in DFT? Your length, 6.829 ,is actually within normal range for this particular ski. Just a clarification. Thx

• Baller
@gmut -- it surprised me. I always thought that less DFT (making the ski longer) would make it have a bigger turning radius, while increasing DFT (making ski shorter) would make it turn quicker. I have not found that to be the case. If anything, I develop more angle with less DFT (longer ski) than I was getting before, and it feels more like natural angle rather than forced angle. I am looking forward to my next opportunity to ski in the course (probably over the weekend) to push down the line and see how it feels when the rope gets to my current limits.

• Baller
@Razorskier please let us know. I have been running a .740 to .750 for awhile now. The gate shot is awsome. The acceleration of the ski cross course is great with much more space before the next bouy.

• Baller
@gmut -- first thing I noticed was more angle and more space. Second thing was that the ski never got "stuck" in the preturn. Third thing was that it was turning better all the way down the course, both generating more angle, and holding more angle. Sounds like we are feeling the same things.

• Baller
@Razorskier I have a friend who is on a 67.5 T2 and he is skeptical that these settings work at 38 off. I told him" try it you might like it". He thinks that the turn might be to slow but trying is believing. I hope to convince him to at least give it a shot but maybe too close to Regionals.His current settings are close to yours with the exception of DFT .782