All new 2016 Vapor

• Replies 998
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members
@Chris Rossi Admittedly I didn't read this whole thread but can you tell me what size you would recommend for me? 195lbs, 34mph, 35 / 38' off skier. I'm ready to retire the Nano One! Thanks

• Baller
From what I see of skiers on the Vapor, I think the recommendation would be to go up a size if you are a "tweener". The ski will turn so that's not an issue. Why not go for more forgiveness and less work?? (Of course I defer to the actual Radar guys on here who designed and build the thing!)

• Baller
@Zog I pm'd you directly but thought I would post here. At 195, you fall into the 68 size range. But because you ski at a high level, your technique is solid enough to run a 67. My gut is saying 67 for you especially coming off a Nano One which is rumored to be a slow ski that requires a lot of work (I have never skied it so have so clue). Sorry I can't give you a definitive answer....

• Baller

FWIW

Here what i wrote to Chris yesterday and his answer as of this morning...YMMV!

Hi Chris

Thinking of a 16 Vapor lithium.Not sure about ski sizing,i seems to be in between sizes.

Was on a 67 2010 Strada for he last 5 years (great ski!) now skiing a rental Mapple 6.0 from a friend.

52 years young,34 mph mid 35 off on a good day,6'1.5'' ,195 lbs but should finish the season around 188 lbs.

Not a very technical skier, more of a hack... :)

Should i go 67 or 68'' ?

T.I.A.

André

My gut says 67. More turntable at your hardest passes and this ski is pretty quick.

Edit:(Ooops,posted this before seing Chris's reply...)

My ski finish in 16.95 but my ass is out of tolerance!

Yesterday I tried a 68" (first time ever on a Radar) - I have been on a Quest 67 (2013) - I'm 6' 180-185 lbs. usually I ski 2-3@35 off (34 mph)- The ski felt a bit loose in the begining (higher in the water) and I had to run it a lot different from the quest.... after a few passes I learned to initiate the turn a bit later - and be a lot more on the front (easy on this ski) - the ski turns ultra fast - almost to fast - I really had to koncentrate on getting quickly in "stack position" after the turn and the ski feels a bit "loose" into the wake..... should I try the 67 to get a deeper riding ski/feeling (as I have always preferred) or should I try to get used to the bigger ski which has no problem turning. I'm asking because its quite difficult to get a 67' demo here (I have to buy one).

I'm 5'10 , 208 and am on a 68". I've tried The Rossi #,s and they were ok,,tried Horton,s (.748)dft great on side, bad offside for me. I then tried the new Rossi #,s (.755) dft. The ski felt unstable and turney to me. Last night I tried the Rini #'s and really liked them, I had a lot of space before the balls on both sides.

• Baller
To each his own. I have tried to go forward with the fin/bindings and longer 3x now mainly because that's where others seem to be. I just feel better a little farther back and shorter. I don't know why I keep confusing myself. It's not like it doesn't work where I've had it. Need to stop messing around and just SKI!!

• Baller
That's great data @OB1. Would you, or someone, happen to have the same equivalent settings for a 66"? That is Rini, Rossi old, and Rossi new. I'm sure they are buried in one of the Vapor threads (which I've tried to follow), but my forum searching skills are limited. Thanks in advance.

• Baller

First set last night on Rossi new numbers and it felt pretty good.

Offside turn was too much for me.

I'm going to try boots forward 1/8 today and then I'll try rini numbers.

I ran right up to my PB on the first set and I had some big mistakes at 2 ball every pass but still ran the pass.

If I can clean up the offside, I think I will love it.

@PSM

2016 Vapor 66"

Rossi Original - 29", 2.465, 6.940, 0.733, 9

Rossi Alternate 29", 2.460, 6.960, 0.735, 9

Rossi PM'd these to me after I told him I felt like the ski was sticking at the finish of my onside turn - 29.25", 2.455, 6.975, 0.745, 9

Rini - 29.25", 2.45, 7, 0.72, 9

I'm currently running these numbers, close to @SkiJay's numbers:

29 3/8", 2.455, 6.975, 0.732, 9

I rode my first vapor about 5 passes 1 22 and 3 at 28. 68 new rossi numbers .little to snappy on on side but it was managable. and no finish or angle off 1( off side )I get to 3 and can't get it to finish with angle. We thought maybe need move bindings forward .at first it seemed like it was on top and seeking at pullout and in the coast for gate.

• Baller
I started with Rini numbers that came from PerfSki, and they worked well. While I was skiing with Stisher, I let Rini know what I was working on with Seth. Rossi helped me get dialed in a bit better. Dang, this ski rocks. #Radarlove

My daughter PB'ed in all 3 tournament rounds on Saturday. Her previous best was 5.5 @32mph 15 off. Round 1 she went 1@34 Rnd 2 2@34 and finally Rnd 3 3@34. She is loving her new Vapor I have never seen her more confident! I howeverzc9wwyrxu7sl.jpg

am stuck at 2 and 3 ball -35 so for now lets just focus on her success!!!

I'm thinking about getting a new Vapor, this is the seventh season on my D3 Z7ST and the hubby thinks it's about time for a change. I love my D3! I am 56, 155, max speed of 32. Would I notice the difference between the Lithium and Graphite?

• Baller
I asked the same question a few pages back for my wife. She went Lithium and is happy with the choice. She tried a friend's graphite senate and did not see it as enough of a boost over her Lyric. She has already improved her buoy count in the past two weeks. She really loved it once we took the wing off the ski. My son tried it, he is on a 2015 alloy vapor, and he knows the ski he wants after he outgrows the 2015.

• Baller
Ran a tournament set yesterday morn on my 16 Vapor. Went right up the line into 38 for the first time in my life. Having been stuck at 35 off for longer than I care to admit (2 full seasons), at least a half dozen Ricos and even a few 6nc's. This was a breakthrough day. The ski does nothing I don't expect it to, yet does everything well. A quick set with Chet Raley last week, one minor tweak to my gate, and bam....

• Baller
Skied with a new friend today who was skiing on an old HO ski. He was struggling to get 3@15', 30mph and I told him not to beat himself too much because the ski he was skiing on was holding him back. I offered him up my 66" Vapor with Radar bindings, he happened to be right foot forward and same weight as me. He immediately ran two back to back full 15' off passes 30 mph....:) Needless to say he loved my Vapor ;)

got my 67 - tried Rossi # - the ski felt to lively - turned to quickly (tight arc) - Comming from a d3 Quest, this ski takes some time to get used to... tried the rinni # which makes the ski more controlled - however now Im having trouble getting space (34 mph 32 off) Im running almost same @count as on the Quest (3@ 35) - but with much less space. Only had 4 sets, so I need another 6-8 sets to determine if this is my future ski - however at the moment its not - it shall not be harder to run usual @counts. The ski is a top performance ski - no doubt - but we all ski a bit different ...

• Baller

I'm in !

Got it just in time for my birthday today (thanks skidawg!) and skied right up to my average ,1.5@35,with out of the box setting.

Feel that the ski is faster cross course and way less work that my old Strada wich is 800 sets old.

Feeling some good things coming up!

186g9diruc6c.jpg

My ski finish in 16.95 but my ass is out of tolerance!

• Baller

I have tried lots of setting

the Rossi setting are great when I'm great fast tight turns,

stock # with boots at 29.5 and 29.75 like boot at 29.5 on the stock setting but at my hardest pass -35 I was running 3-4 and running the pass 40%

I have not missed a -35 with these setting on a 67" ski fb 29 3/4 73 2,450 6.990 these setting are more controllable for me and the ski stays with me when I make mistakes. I'm 195 6'1" -35 51yrs young

now I need to figure out how to get the 2 ball at -38

Awesome practice ride yesterday!!! Moved bindings forward to 29 and 15/16ths and boom ran my first full speed -35 of the season!! Thinking about going .755 and see if things get better. Supper happy with getting through 35 guess I should leave it alone lol!!!!! Water is around 74

67"

29 15/16