Edge Change/Transition

Stevie Boy

• Administrators
@Stevie Boy yes yes yes that is the goal. You need to make enough speed before the wakes and the switch early. See how centered / forward Wim is? That is a lot of how he makes speed.

• Baller

You can definitely do that at 34 mph and slower and longer line lengths. It does require outstanding technique. There is video around of Seth Stisher and I think Terry Winter skiing 30 mph 15 off and they change edges early.

From my perspective this is a bit of a Catch 22 though. Those guys can change edges early because they have awesome technique, a great stack and great lots of angle and speed. All skiers struggling to run 34/15 need to improve their basic position on the ski and generally need to work from white water to white water to ensure they get enough width.

Someone here (I forget who it is) has advocated trying to learn to ski the course by working on an early edge change. I have never coached anyone to do that and am not sure how/if it would work. I fear that the skier would struggle to get to 2 ball and be very frustrated.

• Baller

@Chef23 - Yep. The ability to have an early edge change is the result of excellent stack and acceleration. I think skiers with less than ideal stack/acceleration should still think about the timing of their edge change. As the skier's stack/acceleration improves, they have to recognize the opportunity for earlier edge changes. Therefore, an improving skier might have a prior technique of waiting too long to edge change due to prior poor stack/acceleration, and that skier may now need to edge change earlier to match the improved stack/acceleration.

This is sort of like @TFIN's article about counter rotation being a result vs. an action. He suggested that when stack/acceleration is improved, handle control improves and leads to counter rotation. Some skiers may actively engage in counter rotation, but ideally any active, subtle action to counter rotate is a resulting reward of improved stack/acceleration.