RTP Slipping Around?

• Baller

I have a Wylie RTP which I have grown to appreciate, but recently the darn thing seems to keep slipping around on the ski. Not like every time I make a turn, but I have to check it after each set to make sure it hasn't wandered. It's probably something I've started doing in my skiing that's causing it, but I want it to hold position regardless as it's throwing me off for the rest of the set.

I've got the sucker bolted down as tight as I can without feeling like I'm going to strip the inserts, anyone else have similar issues or solutions?

• Baller
Use some star washers on top or thin rubber strips underneath so that it wants to stay put. Pretty sure that my Radar ARTP came from the factory with some rubber under the plate so that it doesn't want to slide around.

• Baller
if the bottom of the plate is not already covered, go to an art supply store and buy a sheet of black foam. It is about the size of an 8x11 sheet of paper. I prefer to use the stuff that has adhesive on one side. It will cost you no more than $2. Adhere it to the bottom the plate. It should provide enough friction to stop the plate from shifting.

• Baller

All,

The RTP does have EVA foam on the bottom, but there is no foam where the screws insert. This could potentially be the issue as the aluminum just floats free at these points with only the metal-on-metal contact available to prevent slipping. It also causes a kind of bowing effect in the middle of the RTP which prevents a large portion of the EVA from making contact with the ski. I've always wondered if this was maybe a design flaw but didn't think much of it.

I can drop by hobby lobby this evening and pick up some foam to put directly under the screws to see if this helps out. Thanks guys.

• Baller

I use stainless steel Grover washers between the flat washer and the plate. They keep the screws tight for many sets and there is no need to over tighten. No need to use in every screw, only on the rear binding and the rear two screws of the front binding.

Alex,

• Baller
Mine rear boot has the foam on it and still twisted. I put a small strip of double sided tape on the front and back and seemed to fix it. Not sure what it was. Just some I found laying around. I was thinking of cutting out some of the foam to put velcro strips in so it would be about the same thickness.

• Baller

Sounds like you've made the inserts sloppy by allowing the binding to get too loose too many times and now the problem is spiraling out of control. Blue loctite may help but I'm guessing it won't last long. The first time you try to torque them a little tighter, you'll break the loctite bond making it almost useless and it will require reapplying it.

Before replacing any inserts, I'd try loctite and some double sided foam tape to help hold the RTP in place.

• Baller
All, thanks for the further advice. I have since inserted some more eva foam underneath the screws Wednesday evening. I can't say with certainty yet that this has fixed the problem, but the back plate didn't budge when I skied yesterday. The screws did loosen again, but the fact that the RTP stayed put seems promising.