PerfectPass Resetting

schafer

• Baller

most days i wish i had a ZO boat. but these days its multiple times a day i wish i had ZO. PerfectPass sometimes will startup ok when i turn the key on. and sometimes it comes to the welcome screen, then goes blank, and beeps and then repeats. for up to minutes at a time. other times it will work fine til mid pass and then shut off and do the startup, blank, beep and repeat thing. sometimes its at full throttle, sometimes its at idle. nothing consitent about it. at first i thought it was a faulty ground, but i redid the ground and took it right to the negative post on the battery. anyone ever experienced this?

thanks in advance

• Baller
Bad ground? If you've checked voltage, that's where I'd go, at least before I throw an alternator at it. I run a 98 196 too, and my stereo guy told me last week that a lot of our Nautiques share grounds. May need real Nautique guy input, but the issue I was having was very clearly explained by what he said.

• Baller
I've seen several people tighten down their displays too much on a curved dash. After a while the internal wiring ad or connectors loose good connection. Same thing happens when people try to straighten the display by twisting them when they are too tight. You can take it apart and plug the connectors in again or re-solder if necessary.

I've had an occasion where I've pulled my display apart because of a problem

Found the 4 screws that sandwiched the display to the circuit board were loose & making the connection poor.

Tightened them up & now all Ok.

That must have been 5 or 6 years back now.

Mentioned it in this thread.

ballofspray.com/forum#/discussion/11525/perfect-pass-display-not-working

Cheers.

• Baller
@tfriess your saying I'm not the only one????? Thank goodness. I thought I was alone. So I'm two weeks into my troubleshooting. Numerous calls to multiple experts. Tonight I'm now wondering if my alternator isn't quite putting out enough voltage to keep it powered all the time. But I'm not super confident in that idea. I tried a new master module the past two days that Perfectpass sent me to try. And still doing it.

@Schafer,

It is a graphic display.

Simply an LCD panel sandwiched to a circuit board with a conductive rubber strip.

From memory the press buttons were also malfunctioning before I tightened the screw.

Was a very simple process to dismantle & assemble again.

Cheers.

• Baller
So my troubleshooting is complete. My alternator is just a little bit weak. Being original I guess it's a little tired. I've had the Perfectpass wired directly to the battery to try and eliminate a few more variables. And it has worked seamlessly. So I'm gonna change the alternator. And go back to having it wired to the key switch. I was gaining about .6-.7 volts more at the Perfectpass with it connected straight to the battery.

• Baller

@schafer Google "ignition switched relay" The relay uses your ignition switch to activate the wire direct to the battery. Like this image but your power source comes direct from the battery and the switch wire from the ignition.

6s4ysvpsia0t.jpg