Best all around V drive ski boat?

rodecon

• Baller

Hello ballers, looking for some advice for a friend of mine that is in the market for a ski boat. His wife has already laid down the law that it has to be a v drive for the open space and he is not a hard core slalom dude, but does like to ski/ wakeboard etc.

His budget is $20-30k and I am suggesting one of the models with a tournament ski hull, but the v drive layout. I know the Sport Nautique is one option, what are the malibu and master craft versions of this? Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Look at a Sanger v210 or v215, we absolutely love our v215. Can be found in that price range, handles freakin amazing, very very well built, and don't look like some sort of funky spaceship like a lot of the v-drives. Ours skiis well, no tournament wake by any means, but better than 90% of most non dd ski boats IMO. My wife says it throws a good wakeboard wake too with the factory ballast. (I'm terrible on a board so I can't critique that part). The v210 is a little smaller than the v215 so I would assume it's wake will probably be even softer, we just went with the bigger v215 to help survive afternoon chop.

• Baller
Not sure if you can find one in that budget but Malibu used to offer the VTX as a Sunscape 20 LSV or just a 20 LSV. It's missing all the ballast, tower and bling but as a good skiing V-drive you might get one in your budget. I will warn you they are rare.

• Baller
If you look at Malibu confirm which hull it's on, if the word "diamond" is not mentioned it's a wake hull and will be pretty rough for skiing (other than just staying next to the wake and just following the boat). Most of the Sunscape line will be on the diamond hull unless it was special ordered with the wake hull. Easiest check is look at the transom. At the bottom outside edge, if it has a little downward turn it's a diamond, if it's perfectly straight it's a wake hull.

• Baller

@BMG73 my friend has an inboard MasterCraft with the xstar hull (maybe a 205) it's a 2009-10. It has a tower and ballast. Even with all the ballasts tanks empty the slalom wake was larger than I expected.

I guess it is still an ok all around boat.

• Baller

Thanks for all the great input guys, I agree that if he could cough up the extra $$ the Malibu Vtx or sport nautique would be the best bet. I think the Sunscape LSV looks like a viable option for his price range.

He is also looking at a Moomba Ou

• Baller
I own a 2010 vtx, and had an 08, and I can vouch for it being a good ski boat but it is essential that it has to have the diamond hull, I have skied behind one without and there is an extremely noticeable difference. I recently skied behind a 2004 X2 and it was terrible in comparison. The tige 20v wasn't too bad.

I regularly ski behind a 2008 Moomba OBV when I'm able to escape the buoys for open water. It's an adjustment compared with the nautique but it's still fun to ski. Before I skied behind a true slalom boat I thought it was great. The 2009 and newer models are a little shorter and a bit heavier than 2008 and earlier. Most of them have an adjustable wake plate feature which makes a big difference in shaping the wake for skiing.

• Baller

I may get some off topics on this but I've noticed a lot of the same mindsets from non boat owners. Everyone thinks the V drives have all this spectacular room because of the open seating arrangement. They definitely can carry more people and are more comfortable for a pleasure cruise. However, once you get 4+ people in the boat, only one person can stand up in the middle at one time or you'll be doing the tango. Then you start plopping life vests, coolers, ropes, and other crap in the middle of the floor and you can't walk anywhere without stepping on stuff or crawling over people. Yes, V drives have more storage so you shouldn't have to put stuff in the floor but it takes a very OCD family to actually make that happen in my experience. Also, V drives are typically very difficult to work on compared to direct drives so must owners I know have given up and pay the shop to do their maintenance which also means a couple weeks mid season where they can't use their boat. Obviously there are people who have skied behind V drives with success but I haven't been on any V drives where the owners like the ski wake behind their boat.

Not trying to be anti V drive but I feel like people fall in love with one feature and compromise on the rest. Then when the one feature doesn't work the way they thought it would, they become unhappy boat owners.

• Baller

@Waternut can't say that we ever throw anything in the middle of the floor, and there is room for 7 to easily sit in the main cabin area without getting on top of each other unless they are big fat people. Skis and boards go in the rack so that you are not filling the inside of the boat with your skis like you do in a DD. Jackets and cooler are in the rear compartments and our ropes are all in the handy tray above the motor. Not to mention 2 inflatable paddleboards in the rear compartment and 2 paddles and a slalom ski under the long side bench.

As for the ease of working on - the only task that is a pain is the impeller. Everything else is very easy to get to. I'd much rather work on my v-drive than the 04 Response that I care for - you have to remove the doghouse to get the same level of access that I get by just opening my hatches and popping out the divider panels. Rudder access is much easier on the v-drive, my trans and v drive dipsticks are accessible by lifting a seat cushion. Working under the dash on the Response is a painful contortion unless you completely remove the drivers seat.

• Baller

Don't rule out the '01 Sunsetter VLX or '02-'04 Sunscape 21 LSVs from Malibu. Fantastic wakes for 21' Vs, especially at or above 32 MPH. Those and the VTX/Sunscape 20 on Diamond are known for their outstanding V drive slalom wakes above about anything else out there.

Also, if like you say, he's not hardcore, these boats have lots of versatility with Wedges and a little bit of ballast.

• Baller

I have a 211. It's a great boat, awesome wakeboard wake, good surf wake with a bag in the transom walkthrough, and passable ski wake. It is actually rated to pull C tournaments, but I consider that more of a marketing gimmick than anything else.

It skis good at 15 off from 30-36, pretty hard hump at 22, and good again at 28. Size wise, it comfortably holds 4 adults and two kids, it gets a little more crowded after that.

Given the choice of a pull behind any modern direct drive (say 1993 and newer) and my SV211, I'd take the direct drive every time, but if you're just free skiing and want to get out there and enjoy the water, it'll get the job done just fine.

That said, you're going to have a tough time finding even a 2005 (first model year) in that price range unless it has a ton of hours.

I'm going off the OPs line of thought a little (hijacking the thread, to be honest), but I have a similar situation and the advice seems to be the same. Difference is, I've got friends on the same lake with DD boats, so if we decide to run the course (will happen rarely), I have access to those. So we're looking to get a little bit of diversity in the circle of friends' boats. I don't want to go wake/surf specific though, because we still like to ski primarily (open water) but also like to surf, and to a lesser extent, board. And although we have "access" to more pure ski boats, most of our time will be spent on ours, so it needs to be good at open water slalom and passable-to-good for wake and surf. Our budget is a bit higher, probably topping out in the $45k range (but with wiggle room for the right boat). Research so far has appeared to render the following ranking:

1) Malibu VTX Diamond hull (not excluding other Diamond Hull V Drives)

2) Nautique SV 211

3) Sanger V210

4) Centurion Enzo SV 216

5) Malibu Sunscape 23 LSV (Diamond - the size concerns me more than a little, but if someone has had good experience with this, I'm open to it, since I know of a good deal on one)

Also considered (though not preferred by my wife due to DD):

Malibu Response FXi

Master Craft X14

So many boats to ski behind, so little summer time to do it... The real answer is to win the lottery and buy one for each sport, but until I get A LOT luckier, we'll have to stick with a Jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none boat.

• Baller
The the OP: I can't drag my boat to NY to give you a ride behind my boat to try it out, but any MN peeps are welcome to come for a pull if you're trying to decide and one of the boats on your list is a 211. You'll have to bring a wetsuit for the rest of this year though, it's getting kinda brisk in the water (57 degrees Sunday, and it's probably dropped another 1-2 in the last couple days).

• Baller
I love my 10 vtx, fit and finish is exceptional, great storage, just a solid all around boat. I ski the course at 15/22 off at 34mph and I will admit that it's not great but I have skied behind worse. For someone who hasn't skied behind any of the top 5 direct drives they would be amazed how good the wake is, so if you spoil yourself behind too many good direct drives like I have it makes it tough to enjoy a set behind a v drive.

I worked renting boats to people last summer and I have to say direct drives have more room than v drives. We rented out stern drives, which are like v drives and it is difficult to fit skis and cooler in them, where as on my direct drive I put my skis in the locker behind the rear bench and in the hull ski locker and I put my cooler behind the drivers seat. I would look for a large dd before I would look at a vd. Looks can be deceiving.

I have a 2006 Sanger V210. Bought it for $21K in April this year. Good budget V-drive. I free ski 32-34mph at 15off. It's no direct drive but it's pretty good at that speed and length. It only weighs 2,900 lbs. which is light for a V-drive these days. Also has a narrow beam at 90" so it's not a wide table. Handles rough water well. Really happy with it so far.

Wakeboard wake is great with only the center ballast filled.

• Baller

FWIW my buddy ended up buying a new 2015 Moomba Outback V, definitely a step down in quality, fit and finish compared to the big 3, but it seems like a good value for the dollar ( you get what you pay for)

I have not had a chance to ski it yet as he just got it broke in before he had to winterize it, have to wait till spring.

Sealed the deal on a 2014 VTX (diamond). A bit (as in waaaay the f*^#) outside the original budget, but it's brand new, and I got it for less than any used 2014 I could find with less than 150 hours. In fact, it was less than similarly equipped used 2013s. So I get full warranty and new boat smell for the used price. **What you've just read is the abbreviated version of how I talked myself into going $25k over budget.** Thanks for listening. Now to spend the next 6 months jonesing for the chance to get it on the water