How Important Are Bindings?

Shortstack

Obviously, I know that bindings are extremely important, but I want to know just how important. Essentially, I want to know how big of a difference bindings can make when running a course/if bindings can seriously impede your skiing.

The reason I'm asking is because the only "competition" bindings that I have used are HO Apex bindings. At the tournaments that I've gone to, I've never seen another skier using Apexes, with Reflex bindings and Powershells typically being what everyone else uses. I know that bindings are all down to personal preference, but do the extra $200 for Reflex bindings make a $200 difference over my Apexes?

Also, I've read many reviews about new skis, but I don't know if I've ever seen a review on new bindings being released, which caused me to wonder more just how important bindings are.

One of the best amateur skiers I know uses Apex's. There is not one binding better than another, its totally personal. Another I know uses Double Wileys. Sure there are lots on reflex's, some feel safer with their release, but I know as many injuries with one type as another. So if they are comfortable and you have no problems, stick with them. Try something new when you get the opportunity; if you want to, but don't think its the Apex's holding you back. If anything new boots take a while to get used to and may or may not improve your game.

• Baller
Both my kids love their Apexes for both the comfort and the performance (mid 32 and mid 35 at 36mph), FWIW. I've skied in them and thought the lateral response was better than my Animals with much better comfort.

• Baller

Totally personal...BUT...some bindings will suit various personalities better than others which can potentially allow for greater performance. Most hardshells allows a great degree of tweaking for those of us into that. Security is another one of those aspects that isn't really quantifiable. If you feel unsafe on a binding, you won't push as hard as you do on a binding that you trust will keep you safe.

Regardless of what you decide is best, there will likely be a learning curve going from one binding to another so you can't just take a single ride and base your opinion on that.

• Baller

Bindings make a huge difference, but mostly in regard to changing them. Much easier to change ski's than changing bindings, so just keep in mind you'll need to take multiple sets before you get comfortable on the new bindings and back to your normal skiing/scores. It's a major investment in time to try new bindings, so patience is necessary.

I personally ride a front hardshell and rear kick in. Front binding clamp system broke and I replaced it with a slightly different system, but same boot. Couldn't make my opening pass and verified it was set up with about 1/16" of my previous system.

As far as performance, I don't think you can draw any conclusions on what system is better. Generally, the firmer the boot the more responsive the ski...which isn't necessarily a good thing.

• Members
I just made a switch from my old tfactors to the vapors, and I lightened my ski up so much. Not to mention the d3 t factors come up so much higher than the radar vapors which really messed up my edging with the higher boots. Also, the vapors are a lot more responsive than the d3s, because the radars are a hybrid, so basically a soft shell mixed with a hard shell. With the d3s I had to physically do the edging and cutting my self, but if I barley turn my ankle, the ski will turn. It's all personal performance though. If your doing good on the boots your on now, stay on them, unless it's after nationals which is the time of year to make any equipment changes.