fin help

dropski

• Baller
I've never messed around with my fin and think I may start dabbling in it. If anything I'd at least like to have a way to periodically make sure its at stock settings. I have a 67' V Type, any suggestions on what kind of calipers to buy? I really have no idea. Also, any links to articles dealing with how to measure fin would be greatly appreciated

• Baller_

I think Horton will suggest that as a 22 off skier, you should get someone that knows what they are doing with a set of calipers to check your fin, unless you are a mechanic or an engineer and are good with them already. There really are a lot of variables (especially measuring the distance from tail) and unless you know what you are doing, you are more likely to be wrong than right.

I'm neither a mechanic nor an engineer, so I largely leave my fin alone. If I feel the need to tinker, I borrow my friend's ski...

Lpskier

I've been using a digi $30 caliper form Harbor Freight for the past 5 years. Seems to work just fine :) I measure using the tips. Measuring the distance from tail has always been the hardest measurement. Some skis are very flat and square which makes it easy while others are rounded and angled. I've always used an average when measuring DFT.

• Baller
Thanks for the advice, the link was pretty informative and I really liked D3's problem and solution chart. I think I remember Goode had a pretty good one too. Being in N Wisconsin I don't think I'll have much luck finding someone who knows what they are doing but if I get a caliper I'll make sure I watch plenty of tutorials

• Baller

@dropski it is good to learn how to measure and adjust a fin. I would start with the measuring part. Watch the videos, take your time and be very patient. Measure many times until you get a measurement you can repeat. If you fin has never been set by anyone it may be off they do not always come out of the factory at the manufacturer's recommended settings.

When it comes to adjustments I am not good at understanding how changes in the fin impact performance (I ski mid 35 off). I generally rely on someone else to help me with suggestions. I have posted video here before of me skiing including the ski I am on and the fin settings and made some adjustments based on that.

• Baller_
@dropski: I suggest marking you fin setting with a pencil, scribe along the ski bottom so you know where it is relative to Length and depth, then mark the front and back location of the fin on the ski bottom to know DFT and length. That way, if you change it to something you don't like, you can reset to what you marked. Mark the wing angle also.