Looking for fin / ski protector for the plane

Jdubs

I am mighty scared of the baggage handlers. Anyone have a good method of traveling on the plane with you slalom stick? I am thinking packing it back up in bubble wrap and the original box unless someone has a better solution.

• Supporting Member

SportTube hard-case is a pretty good option, although there's a slight risk of TSA failing to put it back together correctly after an inspection.

For example: https://www.sportube.com/Series-3-Sportube-p/31brdez.htm

I know many who swear by a Fin Firkin for further protection.

http://shortline-sports.com/

Also, many have said that UPS does a better job than any airlines, if shipping is a practical option.

• Baller

I have used a sport tube for many years now. Albeit not more than a few trips a year and it's never let me down. Another positive for it is when you get your rental car you can remove the ski and colapse the box into itself and even put stuff in it.

Fin firkin fer sure wrap the ski in your gear/towels. Most airlines do have policy that covers hard cases if it ever came to that. I do think the instances of the tubes getting crushed is they get caught in conveyors that they should never had gone through.

At oversized checkin I always ask if I can help and then wait for them to inspect it and put the box back together. Some airports have conveyors that are big enough to handle the box though.

I use a caribeaner on a bungee as well as the D ring clip for the sport tube & either will hold the box together if 1 is not installed. The D ring is much harder to line up than just clipping a caribeaner

• Baller

the very best fin protector you can buy is extremely cheap and they carry them at home depot. its a phillips head screwdriver. take off the wing then take the fin block off the ski along with the fin and duct tape it to the ski or stick it inside a binding. take along your calipers and check the settings after you re install it.

second best is to remove just the fin but then you have to re set it each time. with care you can remove and replace a fin block and still retain your settings.

• Baller

Bought a couple of these so that I can toss my skis in the truck bed without worrying about the fin. Gave one to my father inlaw and he likes it too. Does require that your bag be a little big, mine won't zip all the way. You could use it inside whatever your main protection is ( tube or big padded bag)

http://theskidoc.com/ski-doc-fin-protector.htm