Why does it take me more than 3 months / plus 70 runs to get close to last season level?

gsm_peter

• Baller

I get frustrated!

Why does it take me more than 3 months / ~70 runs to get close to last season level?

Ok I guess I ski a slightly bit better now compared to same date last year but far from PB.

Started ski already in April and have approx 70 sets SL and type 30 trick this year.

Have been in Italy for 8 days and also in Gävle 2 days with coaches (29 of those sets).

Staring to make 6 back to back passes at approx 30 mph (48,49,50 km/h).

Make some 31 but no 32 yet...

Have upgrade to Senate instead of Theory last 15 sets.

This is 50 Km/h 15 off on the Senate.

Any obvious errors prohibit me to run 32 or maybe even 34 (at my level)?

• Baller_

The most obvious issues I see are that your arms are bent. Also, the handle is out in front of you, away from your body and not on your hip as it should be. Both of these are pulling you up into a standing position with a more flat ski rather than on edge. You are losing some angle against the boat that you must have to run the higher speeds.

Straighten your arms and get the handle closer to your hip. Maybe also think about bringing your hips up a bit. You are slightly bent with your rear end behind you a little. It all relates to getting the handle and the hips closer together.

I like your leg positions, though. Just the right amount of knee bend and you are getting somewhat balanced and tall over the ski. Good work there.

Actually, I think you have made a lot of progress. Fine tune your hip and handle position and then you will be ready to start talking about really getting a good stack.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller
In watching your video, it appears you are skiing buoy to buoy due to not allowing the ski to finish the turn. Observe the angle of the ski when you put your outside hand back on the handle. As soon as the outside hand gets back on the handle, that is the end of the turn...no more angle and the ski direction is straight to the next buoy. Additional angle will allow you to be earlier to the next buoy, ski outbound and establish more angle coming out of the buoy. Let the ski establish more angle and ski to the handle. With your basic technique, you can run 34 mph -15 easily. Good luck. MWN

@gsm_peter, I hear ya. I have only been able to make baby step progress, for the last 2 years, skiing 12 months per year. At least I have been generally making forward progress, but not always. Winters are kind of slight negative progress/ maintainance, until it starts warming up again. This spring I had good success, using the zerro off free ski mode, and adding .2 or .3 m.p.h. For each pass. That way, I can work on body position, and the increased speed per pass is not a problem. Until about 3 wheels ago, when I abandoned the increment skiing, and started at 30, -15, 32,-15, then got a p.b. 6 @ 34, -15, and crashed at 6 ball, and stretched and tore some ligaments. I have been kind of depressed, because the doctor told me no skiing until sept. 1. I will then start again, and ski, ski, ski., but try to be more careful. I don't know what to say, other than keep skiing, and do the best you can. Good luck.

• Baller
It is all about body position and your stack. You don't have nearly good enough body position on your off side pull. This leaves you without enough angle or speed. I am not certain where to find it in the site but find Horton's article on body position. Without improving those fundamentals you will never run 34 mph.

• Baller

Body position is definitely an issue and you aren't getting very much angle out of the buoy. When I was at your level, I read every article imaginable on body position but none of it really made any sense to me. Something worth trying one day is after your run your 30mph pass at 15off, trying shortening the rope to 22off, and maybe even 28off if you can make that. Body position really didn't start clicking for me until I was forced into correcting it and honestly 15off does not reward good technique like the shorter line lengths do. Once you start shortening the rope, it's easier to see what works and what clearly isn't cutting the mustard.

Don't get me wrong, I completely support going up in speed but every so often, it helps to shorten the rope to give yourself perspective...especially if you're in a rut.