Drove a 5.3 Liter Nautique Sunday

Roger

• Baller
I drove 2 hours of practice on Sunday for Nationals and had a 5.3 liter Nautique for the 1st hour. It seemed to have similar power to the 6 liter boats I've been driving lately and the skiers all said it felt great. Changed to a 6 liter and felt about the same with the only real difference being the exhaust note. Haven't driven the 6.2 liter boat yet, but I'm driving practice several more times this week, so hopefully I'll get one.

@webbdawg99 Interesting. I can't gather why they would use AFM in a marine application. I don't see cylinder DE-activation as a good idea in boats. Especially in tow boats. Not to mention the lifters used in AFM engines do not have the best track record.

@GMC sure there is. Do like they used to do for the marine industry.... Actually swap engine comments when setting up a engine for marine use. Now, a lot just swap electrical comments and fuel comments and that's it. I have already helped swap lifters and de-activate AFM in trucks and the DoD G8. Also know of a few that the lifters sheet the bed per say with low miles. Also, AFM is a joke. All real world driving of the AFM vs no AFM cars and trucks do NOT see any notable decrease in MPG. Also, while DI can make a more powerful and more efficient system, have you seen a DI engine after 100k miles? Yikes. I have seen VW and BMW DI engines. I'm not sold on the long term use of DI and AFM/DoD etc.

• Baller

Well of course hardware change is an option but they obviously don't think it's worth it to redesign the valvetrain for a market of this size despite the mark up. AFM (just like Ecoboost, start/stop, etc) works where it has to... on the fuel economy tests for the window sticker.

Given the fixed timing of the intake vs. exhaust valves I would expect thsee engines to do better than a twin cam/dual independent setup like the VWs with respect to carbon buildup on the intake valves. Time will tell.