Injured hand at nationals. Surgery tomorrow.

MarkM

• Baller

After missing last season because of my neck injury my season is over once again. During my run off with Darin Montgomery for the M3 National title Thursday (Big congratulations to Darin!!) I popped the handle around 3 ball at 39 and broke my middle finger and tore the tendon, similar to what is called "jersey finger". The break is an avulsion where the bone breaks completely off. I had a dream start at 39. 1 and 2 felt perfect. I was heading to 3 early when out of nowhere the tip of my ski jumps up in the air and takes me off edge. Holy #$ what happened?? Somehow i still managed to get around 3 awkwardly and when i tried to hang on the handle pops. I still can't figure out what happened.

I'm scheduled for surgery tomorrow at the Mayo clinic. They tell me it's a 12 week recovery. Tough sport!

• Baller
Sorry to hear it! Finger injuries suck. The worst injury I've ever had was in a bike crash where I partially tore one of the ligaments in my left ring finger. That made me miserable every single day for 4 months and still isn't 100% after 7 months. The good thing is you'll be all better in half that amount of time.

• Baller

@markm the neck is pretty good. If I'm folding clothes, I can't pinch 'em between my chin and chest but other than that not bad at all.

Back crapped out a number of weeks ago after mostly behaving on the water following a season of no skiing due to neck surgery. MRI Friday was L4-5 severe spinal stenosis and severe bilateral neuroforaminal stenosis, left worse than right which fits symptoms.

Strangely since MRI I've actually felt a bit better. Was able to ski 16 passes over two sets yesterday conservative at 28 and 32. Today down the line to 4@38 after a pair of 35's...funny thing was rounded 4 at 38, did the wiggle and was going to wake before next gates until the "what the hell are you thinking?" thought entered my brain and tossed the handle...slack hit not worth it. Not big slack could have easily held it but gotta remember my back right now.

Thinking bilateral epidural injections for now get rid of the lightning bolts and would really like to be able to effectively ski the skiwatch fall double late Sept. Thankful MRI didn't show multi-level problems as I was fearful it would. Worst case definitive surgery at some point a one level fusion and bilat foraminotomy...which I understand is ski-able from others on the forum.

Nice skiing at Nat's you were apparently in it to win it. Sorry about the finger and best wishes for your recovery.

• Baller
My dad did that on his little finger about 10 yrs ago sailing. I'm not sure of the severity of his. He was retired and figured he could do without the use of his little finger so he didn't do the surgery and he still doesn't have much use of the finger. I'm thinking since its avulsed you don't have any options if you want the full use of your finger.

• Baller
Surgery went well. Apparently the bone that broke off was large enough for 2 screws and the tendon attached to the broken piece was OK. My surgeon was happy. I'll be in hand therapy for a while. They say it's 12 weeks for a full recovery. But I'm not sure if that means i can pull on a rope. I'm counting the days.....

• Baller
Glad it went well for you. Odd things happen when skiing. Years ago, my friend who was a 38 off skier and prided himself by not letting go of anything, somehow got his middle finger under the handle when grabbing the handle after a typical body slam, but still clamped down with his other fingers and broke his middle finger. Stuff happens.