Show us your tug

Horton

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Baller_
@Murrski - wrap looks great, can you provide more details? You mention its going on 8 years, have you had any issues, would you do it again (assume you would). Is it installer sensitive and did an experienced installer do yours or was it a DIY install. What was total cost? Thx, DW

• Baller
Appreciate it @DW! A couple of minor issues with the wrap. The pro installer wrapped it right up to the rub rail. Everything above the rub rail is stock. Had one issue with the water from the trunk lid that tried to escape down through the stock drainage (just underneath the rub rail on the transom) it created a bubble so just had to poke a hole for it to drain out and squeegee the trapped water out. Other minor issues just with trailering on/off where the wife came in pretty slanted and hit the runners on the trailer pretty good. The wrap just goes to the side edge of the bottom so the wrap will shred little slivers off but I just apply a clear 3M vinyl coating the pro installer recommended to prevent those slivers from turning into a major peel or rip. Color quality of the wrap has sustained really well. They put a clear, transparent coating over the wrap. Water spot removal is also way easier to manage as the wrap isn't pourous and spots don't penetrate. The installer told me if I took good care of it and waxed it - should last 7-years or so. So I've made it beyond that and I think I've got another 5-years. And yes, I'd do it again when the time comes. I paid cash $1600 for print and install. They used Terry's graphics file and just tweaked a little for edging and streching they anticipated. This wrap and install company was recommended by Sunset Lakes (previous owners) from Galt, CA. They had their new promo wrapped each year. Guessing the costs are up quite a bit from then but I'd definitely do it again if I were to keep this boat for another 5-10 years.

• Baller

tcert6lea2e1.jpg

2017 Malibu VTX 20 we bought last spring... Doesn't quite ski like the old 200 did, but we wanted something we could also surf behind and we needed more room too. Pretty cool being able to load my ski profile in the morning, then when I'm done, hit a button to fill the ballast and reset the speed for surfing the rest of the day.

• Baller

Here's our new (to us) boat, a 1999 Malibu Response LX that I got a month ago. Has the Monsoon with EFI, shower and heater, but it was ridden hard and put away wet. Lots of minor things to fix & repair, but it was certainly priced right, and I worked them down more. Mechanically it is sound, and it is great to ski behind with PPSG 9.2 with Zbox.

Kevina0uw1ywaywo3.jpg

• Baller
@Andre I'm not sure, haven't looked into that yet. Is that the black rectangle cover with all the screws on it? Been planning to peek at that, haven't had the time yet. I do get a little bit of water in the bilge, but not much. It will be in the water for a week on vacation so I will be checking it often. I knew my '89 Prostar quite well, just starting to learn about the Malibu.

• Baller

@Kevin89MC if you're just getting a little water in, the HDS is probably fine. Your water is probably from the shaft packing and/or a little leaking out of the back of your raw water pump. Both of these are pretty obvious and don't leak a ton. If you're getting lots of water, then the HDS might be worth cracking open.

I love that era Response. Great boats, easy to work on, and parts are rather plentiful if you do have to work on them.

• Baller

@Sethro I'm generally not a fan of the current era TXi but that one looks really really sharp. It seems like with that boat, the good ones look really good but the majority look really bad.

How's it ski, and did you pick up his previous boat? :smile:

• Baller

I agree that the right gel color combinations really make or break that boat. This boat looks even better in person than the pictures. I pretty much agree with your assessment over the years of the cosmetics of the new TXi, but this gel pattern really hides the "ugliness" so to speak. :p It skis and drives phenomenally...I really like the boat and my opinion of the 17+ TXi in general has pretty much done a complete 180. I've learned the book most definitely can't be judged by the cover...and in my case just pictures of the cover, as I'd never even seen one in person.

I unfortunately couldn't get myself to purchase his 2012 even though the price was right. Even had the green light from my wife, although the green light had a long list attached.