NEVER AGAIN!!!

skihard

• Baller

I made the single biggest mistake in my skiing career this past weekend. After purchasing a new ski early this year on the advice from a pro and someone who I respect and trust 100%. I improved to the point of where I went out and ski'd a PB with him last weekend. Everything was going great, a simple fin adjustment took me to that PB, and then on the dock he says to me "Damn man you're skiing great I think we need to get you on a 67 for your next ski"

So in my idiodic state I get to thinking - it might take a while to sell this ski so I better list it before I'm stuck with two skis and an unhappy wife wondering why so much money is sitting on a rack beside our boat just collecting dust. I list it on SIA for what I paid for it thinking there's no way. BANG SOLD in 5 1/2 hours and shipped out the next morning to another state far away!

I was so happy it was crazy! However the happiness has gone to sh*t based on the fact that a) the new replacement ski in my size is a couple weeks away on order from where I buy my skis (I'm faithful customer) b) I sold my old skis earlier in the spring, leaving me with nothing to ski on.

Step up a buddy who lends me a different top quality ski. The problem is - complete night and day from my other ski that I just shipped out earlier this morning.

On the water last night my PB was just a pillow and a dream away as I struggled just to run a pass at 22 off.

Came off the water and called my friend/coach/pro to discuss my disappointment in myself. SO good of him to help bring me back to reality and try to help ease my pain.

Of course I will go out and try/use the loaner again and again until my next ski gets to my shop of choice but take a word of advice from this idiot - NEVER SELL YOUR AWESOME SKI UNTIL THE NEWER MORE AWESOMER SKI SHOWS UP!!!!!!!!

Happy buoy chasing friends!!! :)

• Baller

68" Just dropping an inch. But the difference in what I was riding and what I am riding currently is night and day. The two skis react and ride like night and day against each other.

As stated I will get this one working but just so shocked in the difference in both.

• Baller
Same thing happen to me last year. I didn't think I would sell the old ski that quick. Sold it in a day at the full asking price. Then come to find out 2014 were sold out and I had to wait a couple of months to get a 2015 model. It all worked out in the end though.

Hope it shows up sooner then expected and you can get back to PB's! BTW your friend/coach/pro was on the dock watching when that ski bucked me at Regionals on my opener so I can guess what he told you...."It is all the skis fault it is evil."

• Baller

I made the mistake in a fit of boredom over the winter a couple of years ago of trading my ski I had a PB on for what seemed like an upgrade (Goode 9960 Mid for a Nano 1). I never liked the Nano 1 and wasted all last summer trying to figure things out. Got a new ski this summer then got hurt.

Lesson, never get rid of a ski until you know you like something else better. By know you like something else better I mean you need to ski better on the new ski than you did on the old ski over multiple sets.

• Baller
I still have my Fischer yellow # 1 in my closet as my back up. Even with 7 seasons on it, it was still as quick and fast as my new Mapple 6.0 when I made the switch 3 seasons ago. I won't ever let the Fischer go. Those RTM skis don't seem to break down.

• Baller

@jhughes - 28 and a goal of 32 by the end of summer. FWIW - that goal went away with the FedEx van! :(

Oh well fortunately for me I ski year round so might not get it by the end of summer but it will come.

@JGray - that is not what he said however............................ :)

• Baller

@Bill22 It was a nice new Radar Lithium Vapor! Yes the blue and yellow one. I miss it so much already.

@JGray - for me it's almost always summer down here so agreed I have time to get that goal. I was speaking in terms of the general populations summer season.

• Baller
@MS the other day I had a friend stop at my place to pick up my ski so we could ski after I got off work. He showed up with my black Monza (05?). I had it set up for my nephew's use with XL Vector bindings. I have size 8-1/2 feet. That was a fun couple of sets.

• Baller_

At one time, I had my Goode 9960, a 9500, a 9300, a 9600, and 2 9100s. I'm down to just the 9960, 9500, and 9300. I still ski all 3. The 9300 is great in cold water and at 36 mph (it's a 9336). The others are better for warm water, the 9500 is also good at 36 mph.

I don't get rid of any until I am convinced I have something better and at least one solid backup.

I donated the 9600 to Spray it Forward and gave both 9100s to my cousin (which also means I could probably use them again in a pinch).

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller

@Chef23 I'm coming off a 68" 2015 Lithium Vapor. I'm taking the advice of someone who is considered to be a great coach in this game.

My skiing improved immensely just going from my old ski onto the Radar ski. I started with a Graphite Vapor before trying the Lithium Vapor and once I got them dialed in for myself I started getting better results.

I borrowed the exact ski I sold prior to switching to Radar as I don't have a ski currently and feel so lost. I'm short line skier by any means compared to the skilled skiers on this site. But in saying that I've also improved a ton and reached PB after PB on the Radar ski.

Right now I feel like I'm at the start of summer 2014 and very frustrated. Hence the "NEVER AGAIN" thread title.

My neighbor is going to let me try his new D3 H2 that he isn't liking very much right now either compared to his Quest. He went back to his old ski.

All I can do is try and do my best not to get down. But it sucks having come off my best weekend ever and feeling like I went a year and a half backwards!

• Baller

@skihard how big are you? not trying to second guess, but understand for myself on ski sizing.

also, please share what ski you are "borrowing" now & size...

I may have read your thread too late, as this is good advice. I just sold my awesome ski the other day. I was inconsistent on it, but that was probably the indian not the arrow. I wasn't planning on selling it so soon, without getting a set on my newer awesomer ski :smile: but like you I sold it for what I paid in a deal I couldn't pass up, so I"m happy with that. Hope my new ski is awesomer!!

• Baller

Long head pounding process but after I talked to Trent F and Rossi - I ordered a 68" ski. My weight fluctuates right around or just under 200 pounds. I will have my new 2016 near the end of Sept if all goes well with production at Radar.

Currently riding a borrowed new 2015 D3 H2 67" that was hard work getting dialed in. Last night I had my best night on the water with it as far as success and feeling right go. Ironically the guy I borrowed the ski from is selling it on SIA if anyone is looking for a 2015 D3 H2 (SIA33829)

I bought a used 68" 2014 Lithium Vapor to get me through until the new one arrives. This ski should be here tomorrow. Can whip bindings off the D3, mount them on the Vapor, set fin to preferable settings and get back into my groove if all goes well? :)

Simple point of original thread was never will I sell a ski until I have a replacement ski and the replacement is dialed in!

• Baller

I'm interested to hear how the 16 compares!

Just ran my 4th set on my new to me green 67 vapor and I'm glad I picked it up, even though I had already sold my old ski.... Stock settings (6.882 2.475 .765 8. 29 15/16 FB..) and I ran my best set in 2 years, it keeps getting better. HO OWES ME 3/4 OF A SEASON!!! :lol: My early passes are easy, I'm kicking myself for not being on one earlier.

• Baller_
Spray It Forward, mentioned above, is a great idea. If you have used gear you'd like to donate to college skiers (otherwise known as potential life long skiers) contact Jodi Fisher. He collects them and the divies them out to teams.

Lpskier

• Baller

I did the exact same thing this year. I listed my Nano OneXT on SIA this Spring and it sold very quick. My flextail was weeks out at best, since it had not been released to the general public when I got confirmation I could get one if I wanted one. I had faith the new ski would be more awesome than my XT, and I LOVED my XT! GOODE has yet to disappoint me.

I actually skied on my wife's XT that is pretty small for me during the first 3 tournaments this season. Not my best scores of the year, but I got it dialed in to run a few balls at 38' OFF. Did this for about 2-3 weeks until the new ski arrived.

New ski came, and I was off and running to set a new tournament PB by 3 balls and ran a pass I had not yet run in a tournament!

I would do it again in a heart beat. There is always something better lurking somewhere for you. If you never abandon a ski for a better one and make sure you have no way to go back, you haven't lived! 3rd time I have done something like this!

• Baller

@GOODESkier - agree totally there will always be something better in the future. Water skis are like electronics as soon as you buy one it seems the next best thing comes out and you wished you would have waited.

Like a lot of others I enjoy purchasing new things but lesson learned on not waiting to sell before the new purchase arrives! :)