Water Skiing mourns one of its greatest champions – Andy Mapple 1962 - 2015

Horton

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Baller
I never met "THE MAN" but he has been mine and our small ski groups hero since forever. We are of same age and out there flailing but his inspiring, non stop passion has kept us and many more going. so many great posts and stories. Wish I had met and skied with "THE MAN"!!!

• Baller
Like a lot of us, I grew up watching Andy ski. I miss those years watching Andy and Wade battle it out. As a kid I'd follow him around at tournaments, asking stupid questions about skis, or advise on technique. Andy would be trying to concentrate, getting ready to ski in the finals, and my friends and I would be getting his autograph, and asking to hold his ski. Over the past 20 years Andy gave me a lot of helpful advise. My entire family will miss him enormously!!

• Baller

My wife and I will be there to celebrate the life of my all time idol! I also have decals made for our skis to hand out at the service to honor him each time we ski. I am so lucky to have all of my memories with him inside my heart! I am a better person for knowing Andy Mapple!r92oi03yoqzy.jpg

• Baller

I'd take a Mapple sticker for the window of my boat (it is a Nautique after all), and I'd gladly slap one on my slalom even though it's not a Mapple. Getting a reminder of Andy as I get out of the hole each time would be fitting on my way to the course.

Long live the toe loop, too, by the way. I get some grief from time to time and I'm like; "Listen, Andy Mapple skis a toe loop. If it's ok for the greatest slalom skier of all time it's ok for me."

I was asked to share my post from social media on this thread so here it goes....

I still don’t want to believe the news the water ski community received about the passing of Andy Mapple. Andy was the Michael Jordan (basketball), Tony Hawk (skate boarding), Tiger Woods (golf) or Kelly Slater (surfing) of water skiing. The man that dominated slalom water skiing for nearly two decades and one who everyone in the sport idolized and admired. Andy wasn’t just an athlete, he was an ambassador and leader of our sport, a mentor, innovator and tester of skis, boats and speed control systems, a coach and someone who would do anything to help others. It was never about him, it was about helping someone else whether it was a new ski, coaching tips or advice. He will be deeply missed by everyone in our community as well as the other communities he was involved with including cycling. Please keep the entire Mapple family in your thoughts and prayers.

Here are a few memories I had with Andy that stand out. As a child I remember having the opportunity of watching Andy ski at the Malibu Open’s at Bell Acqua Lakes in Sacramento, CA and at the U.S. Open when it was part of the U.S. National Championships. I first had the opportunity to meet Andy and his family when they came to ski in a Western Regional Championships one year. His son Mike was around close to my age and I hung out with him and the other junior skiers for the week. I remember thinking it was really cool that I was hanging out with one of my idol’s son! Over the last few years I had the opportunity to get to know Andy and talk with him. Last year I had the opportunity to ski against Andy for the first time at the 2014 Moomba Masters. I never imagined that I would have that opportunity. After the first round, I asked if I could have a picture with him to remember that moment. One of my greatest memories with Andy came a few days after that. I advanced to the finals and ran 2 ½ at 39off taking a big hit trying to hold on for the full three but moving into the lead. Next thing I knew, Andy and Nate Smith, who were both knocked out in the semi-finals, were in the safety boat picking me up on the Yarra River. Here was Andy, the greatest slalom water skier of all time, and the current world champ, my friend who has been kicking all of our butts the last few years picking me up. Andy talked about my skiing and congratulated me on a great event. Even though it was only a short ride to the dock, the conversation the three of us had seemed like 20+ minutes. It is like time froze and it was just us; even though there were thousands of people on shore. It was an amazing experience to have one of my idols compliment and congratulate me on my skiing.

1waryxq0rgj2.jpg

s15ad8vdg09t.jpg

Later in 2014, Andy put on an event at his site, the Mapple Challenge Cup. I wanted to support the first year event and take part in this unique formatted ProAm event. Unfortunately the condition were horrible with 25+ mph wind straight down the lake but it was fun to still battle it out. I had an opportunity to talk with Andy a lot during the event about different formats and how to grow an event from my event planning experience. All he wanted to do was continue to help promote the sport and help the current pro skiers have more events like he had back in the day. I was able to win the inaugural Mapple Challenge Cup. Looking back at it, I am sooooo glad I took the opportunity to go to the event.

0qaw2uhlhvi8.jpg

Just recently (a week before his passing), I spoke with Andy and Deena at the U.S. National Championships in West Palm. I saw Andy from a far and went out of my way to say hello. We talked for a few minutes about skiing and the Mapple Challenge Cup event that he was planning on having again this year. I'm glad I took the opportunity to say hello because little did I know it would be the last time I would see him.

These are just some of the memories that I had with Andy that I’ll always remember. Andy, thank you for everything you did for our sport. I hope you knew how much everyone idolized you and loved you. May you rest in peace my friend!

Andy Mapple was my childhood hero. I never had the opportunity to meet him but read about him in waterski magazine growing up. I even sold my go-cart to buy an Obrien ski just like his when I was 14. All the stories have been great to read and I have been bummed for days thinking about his passing.

I count myself lucky as one of the few New Zealand water skiers who were able to meet Andy, even if was for just a few minutes on my way to Orlando airport last January. I am fortunate to know Aiden through his family from our local club in Cambridge NZ and his effort in picking me up and taking me to the airport via the lake to meet The Legend Andy Mapple will never be forgotten by this skier. Andy was busy and on a mission, but he took the time to say Hi. From little old NZ in my circle of water skiing friends Andy Mapple has always been the one we idolised during my 30 years+ on the water. Andys accomplishments never went unnoticed and his recent innovation and success has only contributed to providing more motivation on the water. Like many of you I cant explain the sadness I personally feel for the loss to his family, staff and close friends, but also the wider water skiing community. There are thousands of us from all around the world just shocked, stunned & saddened at what happened last weekend, yet we didn't personally know Andy. How do you explain that, except for the fact Andy Mapple gave so much to the sport we love, you could not help but feel a connection to him.

Summer is nearly here in NZ and this Kiwi will be wearing his Mapple Skis TShirt remembering a true icon of our beloved sport on the water.

• Baller
This is tragic and sorrowful news, I met Andy in the late 90's and was honored to stand next to him at Kris and Jennifer's wedding. He truly was an unforgettable and great person and ambassador of the sport. Heartfelt condolences to his family and all he touched.

• Baller
Well, another reminder not to procrastinate. I have followed Andy for years, bought his videos and said that I would schedule lessons when I was in Orlando. My opportunity has sadly passed and who knows how many balls I could have added to the count! My thoughts are with his family. RIP

• Baller_
Just a reminder to anyone who would like to attend the service. (I hate calling it that) but it is very casual, I will be in shorts and tshirts as that's how my dad knew me, and he was not one for dressing up he loved the lake, so I encourage anyone to wear what they please, but I won't have shoes on.

Performance Ski and Surf 

Mike@perfski.com

👾

• Baller

I met Andy once, and I can say as a result of our short time together he had both a profound and long lasting impact on my life.

The story actually begins long before I met Andy. I had taken a relatively long 7 year break from skiing. Kids, home life, and work kept me from being able to ski competitively so I sold my boat, put the ski away and forgot about the sport for 7 years. I got way out of shape and was fast approaching 50 when an old ski buddy called me up out of the blue and invited me out to ski with him. So I dusted off the ski and tried to fit in my ski vest that apparently shrunk two sizes. I managed to get up and then as I was going around 1 ball my rope broke from dry rot.

Despite the rocky start I really missed skiing and decided it was time to get back in shape. As I started skiing again I kept hearing voices (some in my head and many from friends and family) saying "Are you crazy? You're too old to ski!" I was really doubting that I could actually ski competitively again.

Then I met Andy. I was in Orlando on business and was able to talk OB1 into flying down and meeting me at Andy's lake for a lesson. I had followed Andy's career over the years and was just in awe when I got to meet the GOAT in person. He came across as an incredibly warm and genuine person. Even though I had just met him for the first time he felt like an old friend.

As we're talking Andy asks if I mind riding in the boat while Deena drives and he skis a quick set. How is anybody going to answer that?!.....Hmmm, ride in the boat and watch the greatest skier of all time?? Sure. So here I am, a guy approaching 50 and thinking I'm too old to get back into skiing, and watching a guy that's 2 years older than me run 28', skip 32' and 35', and then run 38', 39' and deep into 41'. If I was in awe by just meeting Andy, I don't have the words to describe watching him from the boat ski on such a short line that only a handful of skiers (at any age) would ever see.

The humorous part is when Andy finishes and gets in the boat and says to me "You're up!" I felt like saying "No thank you, I'm good". But I got in the water and ran some 28' offs with some great coaching and insights from Andy.

But what Andy really taught me was age is not a factor in skiing. He was two years my senior but was truly a much younger person at heart and an incrediblly gifted athlete. I had been thinking I'm too old to ski while he's continuing to ski at a world class level. If Andy Mapple can get deep into 41', then surely I can work my ass off and get into 35' and even 38' off.

So after a year of hard work, training, and countless passes I set a PB last year of 2.5@38'. Every time I ran 35' in a tournament or practice I always thought of Andy's inspiration on me. I have no doubt that I wouldn't be skiing today if I hadn't met Andy for a brief afternoon a year and a half ago.

You'll be missed Andy, but rest assured not forgotten.

• Baller

Big head tail tonight that was not predicted...was supposed to be light south but was stiff SE. We looked at each other and said "Andy would ski it" so we did. The guy I skied with was at Drew Ross' place many years ago and Andy showed up and he was able to watch him from the boat. He went back to the hotel giddy like a school girl his wife figured he had downed a few drinks cuz he's usually so mellow...watching the GOAT from the boat was so cool for him.

Tonight I ran two 35 head winds and two 35 tailwinds with some errors but some nice stuff, too...Greg ran 35 for maybe the second time this season. Fist pump in the air to Andy Mapple...we took care of that wind in his honor.

I never met Andy, and maybe never would have. Still, this news saddened my family, deeply. One of my proudest moments as a parent was about a year ago when I found out that my son and daughter's favorite "movie" is "Skiing with Andy Mapple". I didn't know they had even seen that video, but I find out they watch it all the time. The photo is of them skiing this summer on their O'Brien skis that would have been from Andy's O'Brien days.

44nh20waevdz.jpg

• Baller
Your comment rings true with me. Probably the most sadden I've been for some one I never met. My daughter commented that one of her most memorable times with me was skiing early in the morning on the glassy lake and watching the Mapple video to get better. We are praying for the Mapple family

• Baller
Got out to ski with a good friend who I had not had a chance to ski yet this summer. Right before he said "hit it" he yelled out "this one is for Mapple!!" We are in a public lake and I am sure half the lake heard him!

• Baller

eti210w3s05t.jpg

Remembering and skiing for Andy this weekend in Bossier City, Louisiana. I felt Andy skiing with me and telling me what to do as I tied my all time personal best in a tournament. I owe it all to him!! I am thankful for Andy's contribution to me and everyone in this photo! He is my inspiration and my hero!!!

Andy will always be my waterskiing idol. In 2011 I went to Nautique to check out my new boat after having some issues with my 2010. Ron Nace customer service rep at Nautique arranged a tour and viewing of my new 2011 boat. On the phone before I was to fly down , I said half joking " Ron what would really make me happy if you could arrange for me to meet my waterskiing idol Andy Mapple" He kind said ...well not likely but good idea with zero assurance to me that this would ever happen. I flew down with my wife, met Ron and toured the factory. Ron told us to walk out back of the factory to the test lake and your boat is now being water tested. We take the walk and reach the lake just as my boat comes flying up to the dock from the far end of the lake ...OMG theres a guy driving my 200 with a big smile on his face .. It's Andy !!! I was like a little kid all giddy and in shock.....Andy took me for a ride in my new boat and also drove me skiing and gave me tips. he was so laid back, and in no hurry to spend time with us and make sure I was happy to have this amazing day. Such a kind generous man (hero,idol) He gave so much to my favorite sport and will be soooo missed but never forgotten. I wish all the best to his family and many days of calm water in heaven.

Doug Clark

• Baller

I've got a pair of trunks I call my Andy Mapple trunks cuz I saw him wearing a similar pair...@razorskier1 has a similar set of boardies as well. When I put 'em on I think "Yep, today's gonna be a good set". I always wear them at tourneys channeling a little of the GOAT.

Had 'em on today in a head/tail. Funny thing is where I started...would have set up a 35 head but skier before me is 32 mph and PP wasn't changed by accident so on gate pull out 28 off I know it's slow.

Run that and now it's 28/34 tail, 32/34 head and set up the tail 35. Ya know I got my GOAT shorts on so what the hell...6 balls in a stiff tail...PP time 16.91. It had to be the Andy Mapple shorts.

• Baller
I live in the eastern most part of Canada , Labor Day is usually close to being our official end of season , well this weekend was HOT but VERY windy, wind gusts @ 35 kph or 22 mph hitting the side of our ski site. Well ... I sucked it up and looked up , thanks Andy for inspiring me to not only be the best skier I can be but to ski when NOBODY else is on the water.

Gosh, hearing this news totally floored me. Just was talking about giving it a try as I've retired from skiing due to broken down knees (over labor day). I am going to make good next summer to get behind the boat on my old O'Brien slalom. Just can't say how much I looked up to Andy as he fought his way up the food chain on the circuit. Back in the day, 1980's I used to ski 4-5 sets a day and his method I tried to emulate even down to his ski. I tried to keep up with the World Records and am happy he reached his goal and even then some. His passing is so hard to take. He was more than a water ski star, he was an ambassador of the sport and a super human being. A true legend. I never got to meet him however, but reading all the wonderful stories and remembrances of him on these pages is so awesome. My sincere heartfelt condolances to Deena, Mike and Elyssa.

I have some old digitized videos to share with the community. I'll start a thread for them as I think many will enjoy them. I'll leave one here for starters.