Hello everyone !

I'm pretty new to this forum but it seems like there are a lot of nice and experienced people using this place.

I've been on the water for about 7 years now and tried everything from normal combo skiing over wakeboarding and finally also slalom skiing. I guess the slalom ski is what caught me in the end.

So basically I want to buy my first own slalom ski.

About me:

I'm about 6 feet tall ( a tiny bit over 6 feet ) and weight 165lbs. I feel pretty confident when I ride behind the boat and I'm mainly free skiing but always go for nice and aggressive turns to improve my ability ( so if you would ask me about my skill level my answer would probably be somewhere between intermediate+ and maybe even advanced ). When it comes to the speed I ski at it varies from about 26 mph to 32 mph ( depending on how I feel and what the driver of the boat is up to ) so the speed is not really consistent.

The ski should be suited for all those things stated above and should give me the opportunity to improve my skills more and more so that I will be ready to hit the course with it in the near future.

I'm happy about every advice I can get :)

• Supporting Member

WELCOME! So cool to see so many new posters lately!

I don't know a lot about ski choice for your level (or any other level), but I do know that aggressive turns are not the key to improving your ability at this stage -- on the assumption that your goal is to do well in a slalom course.

Far far more important is getting from side to side faster, which is all about efficient leverage against the rope. Read up on stack, relaxed body position, leverage position, etc. to find what you need to know.

@Than_Bogan Thanks I'm happy to be here :)

I'm sorry I'm not too good at expressing myself the right way ^^' when I said doing some aggressive turns I basically meant that I'm trying to do some deep slalom like turns with the right technique.

Guess I still need some advice for the ski choice ^^'

• Supporting Member

No, I knew exactly what you meant. Deep slalom turns are not the key to success in the slalom course. If your travel angle from one side to the other is not steep enough, no turn can compensate for that.

99.9% of open water skiers assume the turn is where the action is. The ones who quickly advance in the slalom course are the ones who learn to focus on what is happening on the way across.

• Baller

@RideTheWater

Similar to @Than_Bogan I don't know a lot about ski choice but know ways you can find out people who do. Not sure where you are located but check around for local ski clubs or pro shops. I would say the best advice for picking out a ski is getting one you like after you have ridden it, whether that be demo programs or borrowing a fellow ballers (if they have something and are willing to share). If you read around I know there are a lot of threads on this topic so that might be a good place to start....I know people have suggested the newer Radar skis for guys like yourself. Also your type of ski choice could change on if your interest is just free skiing or course skiing. Not to mention budget....

If course skiing is what your after and you are looking for some advice, even though I don't know @Than_Bogan personally, he is a good one to listen too among many others on here.

Happy Shopping!

Try the Radar P6, it's a great ski. Starts real easy, and has great performance for a new skier. I run mine at 34 mph, and just love it. Performance Ski and Surf is a great shop to purchase from and is a supporter of Ball of Spray, buy from those that support the forum.