Vest Recommendation (weird requirements)

DefectiveDave

• Baller

I've been using a loose fitting CGA vest for the past several years. It works its way up, doesn't quite fit right, and in general has kind of sucked. I've tried to upgrade several times to a slim non-CGA, but have never quite found anything that fit well because I have an unusual body shape. Recently the vest has started rashing up my arms really badly and I definitely need to find a replacement this time.

My main problem with slim non-CGA vests is that they tend to compress my stomach. I have a narrow chest, and distended lungs due to a chest disorder (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pectus_excavatum), so my stomach expands much more than normal to make room for my lungs. I am not able to breath very well when wearing those vests. Also I tend to sink almost below water level when wearing a non-CGA vest, but I can deal with that part. Really my only two hard requirements would be:

-Doesn't rash arms near triceps

-Doesn't compress stomach when wearing

It may even fit loose and work it's way up, so long as it fits those requirements it would be a great improvement. Is there anything available either CGA or non-CGA which might work? There are no real water sports stores around here where I can try stuff on. Thanks in advance!

• Baller

I don't really have an issue with any vest material giving me rashes until I wear it for a long time....3 or more sets in a single day. Typically after the first rash day, I haven't had much trouble.

Could always wear a rash guard shirt if that's a big concern for you though.

• Baller

@Waternut,

Are you referring to the friction rash where the arms meet the vest?

I only get to ski once a week right now, so I ski as much as I can every time I go out. These past few excursions I've skied 5 sets/day. Skiing only once a week, I don't seem to build a tolerance to anything. I've even been getting spray leg again!

• Baller

http://mormaii.ru/sites/default/files/styles/product-page-lage/public/s001san_royal_0.jpg?itok=c40fRhAQ

Mormaii sail line vest is very short (designed for sailing, in reality is shorter than on the picture) and generally stay above the stomach area.

It is very thick - enough to keep you high in the water.

Holes are big so vest do not touch arms.

• Baller
Using a loose fitting neoprene heater (Mine are from World Barefoot Center) shirt under a custom shaped comp vest like @GOODEskier suggested may provide the comfort and enough buoyancy. If the structure of your ribs makes you more prone to injury, it's also an extra layer of protection. Although, if you are down south, it could get pretty warm.

• Baller

@skialex, @GOODESkier, @Fatroll ,

haha, I would love to send Eagle my measurements just to see what they would say. I'm a tube with chest=34" and waist=32". I don't know if there's a way to make a vest that would actually fit me, but maybe they would accept it as a challenge? I have really liked the Eagle vests when I tried them on, but I'm definitely not a standard fit.

@Chef23,

I'm liking this Gooru idea. I don't expect any vest to actually fit, but if it has some mechanism to attach it to my shorts then that at least somewhat negates the issue. Do the Gooru vests have at least as much buoyancy as say the Eagle Platinum?

@OldboyII ,

That is one cool looking vest, but I don't think I'm worthy. Also, is it just me or is it only sold on Russian websites?

• Baller

@DefectiveDave my son has the same issue and "breathes with his belly". It runs in my family (uncles on both sides have it but it skipped me some how). I have a jet skiing vest from the early 2000s and I'm trying to find it online. It's either a jet pilot or a slippery vest. It is CGA and rides high with the straps (2 of them) mainly around your rib cage. The arm openings are huge but it has no side flotation, everything is in the chest and back area. So it will leave your ribs a little vulnerable. It was designed for chest impacts to the handle bars on a jet ski and to protect your upper spine from getting hit by another jetski.

The other option would be a kayak vest. The better ones ride very high and have a lot of arm clearance but again no protection for the sides of your ribs.

I will look at my jetski vest to see if I can pull a brand/model off it to see if it's still available.

On edit it's a slippery when wet brand vest and the model is called octane. I don't see it available anymore. I can't even find a picture of it.

• Baller

Kayak vests are cool and I used one for many many years. Huge arm holes and tons of padding in the front and back and it rides way up. Mine was roughly 2 inches above my belly button. Once I started getting into more aggressive skiing, I broke ribs with it twice in 2 years and decided the kayak vest was finished for skiing.

Gotta breath though so may have to pick your poison...

• Baller

I'll second, third and fourth going the custom route with Eagle. I've done it twice and both vests fit absolutely perfect. If I recall correctly it's an extra $25 for a custom size and if you want you can have them add extra flotation as well.

Mike

If a custom vest from Eagle doesn't work out I would find a NRS dealer near you and try on some of their rescue kayak life jackets. They sit up on your chest and some of them have some side padding for rib protection. They will have tons of extras that you do not need but they probably will be able to tighten up around your chest. Here is one for example http://www.nrs.com/product/2161/nrs-zen-rescue-pfd .

• Baller

@DefectiveDave

it is just a vest )

Made in Brazil by Mormaii company. Not expensive & comfy.

I use this when I am few kilos down and my "hill of fame" is not that big because it is so visible with this vest ))

It also have mesh stretch front kangaroo pocket where I keep gloves between sets.

Picture is taked from site of their Russian dealer.

Oheil Slasher is also very good, but as I understand you are looking for something shorter which not making any presure around belt area.

So you may look into vests for sailing, they are short by definition.

• Baller

@Wayne,

Haha, I've actually have that exact vest. I keep it in the boat as a backup or for others to use. It is perfectly functional and doesn't compress my stomach, but I just don't find it as comfortable skiing as my current vest.

@mlange,

So you can really add extra padding? I'll call eagle later today to see if my dimensions are even feasible. Those vest are super comfy and I know if I go up to a size large then the stomach compression is not an issue in the eagle vests (though it is a very sloppy fit). Adding just a little extra flotation with a good custom fit could really seal the deal.

@DefectiveDave I'd definitely go the Eagle custom route.

This wasn't from Eagle but I've had "off the shelf" jump suits and had one custom made (same price just needed to send in the measurements). And the difference in how it fit was incredible. Point is I can't over over state the importance of a properly fitted vest.

• Baller
Yep. You can have them add extra floatation. They have already added a bit more floatation then they used to 5-6 years ago. Not sure when they made that change, but you can get even more added if you'd like. Of course, it will cost ya. :)