Trick Ski Length

Sethro

• Baller

I'm thinking about buying a new trick ski. My late 90's 44inch Obrien still works, and I don't need a ski, but I have to think a bigger ski would help me. I see that D3 will custom make a ski, and if I'm buying a new one I might as well get it made for me. I am 6'5" and weigh around 250lbs, and ski at 19.8 mph. I wouldn't mind being able to slow down a bit, but it's not comfortable on my ski to do so. I'm certainly not advanced, and could score around 1000pts I guess according to my talented trick skiing neighbors. I can do toe back/front and toe wake back/front, but that's it for toe tricks at this point.

So what do you think...what would be the optimum length for a ski custom made for me???

Optimum length is "long as possible". When I asked all the manufacturers 45" was the max to get it inside their molds. Some had a bit more flexibility with the ski width. But generally speaking the more surface area the better.

For the record I'm 6'-6" and currently weigh 225.

• Baller
Back a few years ago some friends had bought a boat and ask me to teach them how to ski and wakeboard. I hadn't touch a trick in years and jump on their wakeboard. I couldn't believe how easy the basic tricks were. It really got me thinking about the size of trick skis.

• Baller

I built the biggest ski I could mold, a 46in proportionately wide ski. It was a poor trick ski but a fantastic wakeboard. The length seems to help performance in many of the commercial trick skis. Extra width does not.

I'm excited to someday try the new Quantum. Ed's D3 would be a good ski as well. The new skis are worth the upgrade.

Eric