Best board shorts

aupatking

• Baller

Not to plug a certain brand, or do so if you like, but in the past I've almost blown my back out several times in several different board shorts. I've found the Patagonia Stretch Planing Board Shorts to be the best, by a considerable margin. The bottom of the leg is tapered just enough that they don't balloon on me when pulling up. I suggest you try a pair.

What have you guys found?

• Baller_
Skier on a budget as always. So I've had the same problem in the past. Have actually altered shorts to taper. What I have found is the shorts that 4 way stretch simply do not have issues with this. I bought 6 different brands (all stretchy) from a store closing several years back. Not only have they lasted and never do this, none were high end name brands. So to me it's the material that matters. The 4 way dry fit stretch kind dry fast, never fill up with water and last. What is nice is that in the last year or so, Walmart is carrying this type of material in board shorts in several brands at 1/3 the cost.

• Baller
I have used Billabong for the past few years, but last summer I found the Hurley Phantom's on sale and couldn't pass them up for the price. They are tighter in the leg and balloon much less than other I have tried. If I were to buy more at the moment it would be the Hurleys.

• Baller
The best I've found is Oneil Jordy Freaks. Thin, light, stretch, don't hold water. I currently have a pair of Quicksilvers that are a close 2nd. I've learned sticking with a real water sports brand for board shorts is a must. Wifey used to but me ones like Old Navy, American Eagle, etc.... Those will put you in the hospital if you ski.

• Baller

65htjxiedmzm.jpg

I bought this this season and it's really great, very light but not thin, durable, it does not catches water when getting up and it does not turn to parasuit in head wind like the ones I had before.

And for a change I realy like the simple looks, grey with a touch of Orange.

It's an Alpinestars Archetype, it also comes in black but it looks like any black boardshorts.

• Baller

Hurley Phantom, if you can find Phanton 'Hyperweaves' they are even a tick better.

Similar to what @MISkier likes --- I used to have some jet-pilot neoprene lined "Crown Jewels" board shorts but I believe they discontinued them a few years ago.

• Baller
Birdwell 808. Made from their SurfStretch 4-way stretch fabric in USA. Trim leg fit, dries quickly and super durable. Not the cheapest board short around but extremely well made. And reminds me of my young days hanging out in the original Birdwells...that were a couple sizes smaller:)

• Baller
Its a good day when you spend it in Board Shorts. I have no affiliation with but really like the quality and style of Virus Apparel. I just picked these up these are awesome. Virus should start sponsoring 3 Event Pull Sport athletes and advertise on Ball Of Spray. The O'Neil and Hurley leg holes are a little too tube like and straight where the Virus stuff fits my legs and butt great. https://virusintl.com/collections/mens-shorts/products/active-airflex-short