Just for fun, help me buy my next boat...

Fast351

• Baller

I sure hope my wife never sees this :smile:

Anyway, I have a Nautique 211 now, which is a great surf/wakeboard boat, but honestly, even though it's rated for C tournaments, is a pretty rough ski boat. Problem is, she likes surfing (and I do too, to be honest, although if the water allows, I'd rather ski) and I have the crazy idea about getting an air chair one of these days too.

Anyhoo...

Assuming I don't trade the 211 off for a newish 200, give me some idea on what you think about the following things.

Let's just assume that I never plan on skiing faster/shorter than 34 @-28, and would probably like the ability to ski at 30 @-15. Don't care about open bow/creature comforts. The only two things I care about are slalom wake and driveability.

I'm kind of brand loyal, and really, Correct Craft seems to be the most popular ski boat, so I would like to at least veer that direction:

196 vs 200 hulls. At the speeds/line lengths that I'm talking about, is there a significant difference that would have you holding out for a couple more years for 200s to drop into the 25-30K range? Or is the difference so small that I'd be plenty happy with a 196?

If I went the 196 route, and stayed 1997 or newer, is there a significant difference between the TSC1, 2 and 3 hulls? I've read that the only real difference between the 2 and 3 is the hydrogate and that the 2 hull is identical to the 3 hull with the plate down.

How big of a deal is the Zero Off/Perfect Pass/Stargazer difference if we assume I'll be skiing 80% free ski 20% course? ZO locks me into 2008+ (I think that's when they switched over).

On the 196 side, I'd like to stay away from the teleflex gauges. Anything else I should look out for?

On the 200 side, is there anything to be aware of that was a problem or are they all basically the same as far as reliability/wake/driveability goes?

That's it for now. Thanks for your thoughts, it'll keep me dreaming about boats during the long winter ahead :smile:

• Baller

If you aren't skiing tournaments then ZO doesn't matter anything with PP will be just fine. That will save you a ton of money as it can get you into an older boat. I would look at a 196 or a Response LX. Both of those boats are a little smaller and lighter than the newer boats and have a better wake than the same vintage MC.

If all you are doing is slaloming, don't care about open bow or ZO and want to stay CC I would go with a bit older 196.

• Baller

25-30k for second boat is...nice!

Just don't forget about older MCs hulls from 91-94 and 95-97.

One of the nicest slalom wake,no costly extra bling,good chance of having PP already installed and you'll save 10k...or more!

I will respectfully disagree about any Response LX having a better wake then my 94 MC.

Not even close.I ski a 2000 LX often too.

My ski finish in 16.95 but my ass is out of tolerance!

I regularly ski behind a TSC 1 hull (mine) and TSC 2 hull (neighbor's). At -15 31-33 mph I cannot tell a real difference. Wake is not an issue at all with either boat. I've skied behind a 200 several times at other clubs and ski schools and the wake seems the same but the ZO takes a set or two to get used to. I don't ski tournaments yet and I prefer the feel of PP but probably just because that's what I'm used to.

• Baller

I'm not sure I understood your question correctly, but it sounds like you're thinking of running a second boat? If so, then your solution is obvious. Pick up a 196 newer than 1996 with preferably a GT-40 (or excalibur 330 if you find something really new I guess) and put PP on it if it isn't already there and learn to love skiing again now that you don't have a giant wake there. I would bet you could come in under $15k for a very decent boat that will make skiing even so much more enjoyable than it already is. If you still have the 211 around for surfing, you are all set.

Something like this is about what I would have in mind.

http://www.ski-it-again.com/php/skiitagain.php?endless=summer&topic=Search&category=Comp_Boat&postid=31913

• Baller
If your talking older 200 Vs a 196 with ZO in good nick then it comes down to the boat and the specific deal. All things being in good nick the 196 with ZO is one heck of a good setup, I drive and ski both and as nice as the 200 is the 196 is well in the game for 99% of skiers. Nautique need to revive the 196 hull and call it the entry level.. Or sell it to someone who will!

• Baller

I have a 99 Rlx and the wake is great. I ski behind a 93 prostar 205 regularly. I think the wakes are a little better on the Rlx and there is Zero spray issues. Another thing is the is Rlx is not very sensitive to weight distribution. We put a 100lb water sack in the 205 to level it out if we have no observer otherwise the spray is huge on the high side. The Rlx is also easier to drive. It has small wakes even down to 26 and 28 mph. I have beginner women skiing at 28mph and she like the Rlx over a 200 wake.

I love the old MCs. I was on the Promo team back in the 80s and early 90s and was a very loyal MC owner. But the Rlx is a better boat in my opinion. If I could afford it I'd be in a new MC right now.

I put an acme prop on mine I think a 515 but can't remember for sure. It made the wake slightly softer but it still was great before. I don't have a wedge on it either. No doubt the 196 are great boats. I if only needed a Tug I would strongly consider one. but I needed a boat I could take the kids to the lake with.

• Baller
I just bought a 2001 196 last week. Love the wake and handling. A fantastic boat. If it has PP look at the hours on there vs the teleflex gauges. Mine has some teleflex gauges - but I don't really use them. I believe this boat will be one of the biggest contributors to me being consistent next season (and end of this season).

• Baller

There are actually a handful of decent looking 196s here in the state. I'm not ready to pull the trigger yet and turn into a two towboat family, but thank you for confirming a couple things for me:

- 196 vs 200 hull isn't really worth the money unless you're going after records.

- Zero off is great if you're a serious competitor, but not required for a recreational skier.

(I have already decided after graduating from an I/O to a boat with PP that I will never again have a towboat without it, or as I refer to it, "The Marriage Saver").

It looks like the upgrade to non-Teleflex gauges is actually not that expensive, so it looks like the only thing to be aware of is the possible discrepancy in hours.

One last question, if given the choice, GT40 or Excalibur? I love the Excalibur in my 211, but then it just works. I am a Ford guy though so that makes me want a GT40.

• Baller

GT-40 is a great motor...very strong. You can't pull hours off of the ECU, though and with the gauges that tend to fail eventually hard to know how many hours in the end. I don't mind the gauges cuz I don't use 'em with PP as far as speed (wish I had hours). The volts/oil pressure etc are separate so no big deal they read fine.

Bottom line best budget slalom only tug is a 196. Cheapest will be a '97 with GT-40...my guess is you would be plenty happy with GT40 or Excal. Given your needs anything '97 or newer take best condition/price you can find...depends on what you want to spend.

I'm not ready to pull the trigger on upgrading my 2000 with GT40 just yet, and you are not ready for two boats yet. Keep each other in mind down the line lest we both get weak of mind and desire to be lighter of cash.

• Baller
My two cents - as I am now a two boat towboat family. We have a crossover boat that my sister in law uses because she wakeboards. My wife and father in law all ski and barefoot. The crossover boat is a 2007 Moomba Mobius LS. It has the Indmar Assault 325 HP. Going to the Gt-40 is a NIGHT and Day Difference. I love the sound and the torque. I don't notice the 15 less HP. Biggest thing is the wake - where did go - exactly what we skiers wanted. I also am a Ford guy so that makes the GT-40 even better!