2008 SN 196 Oil Leak

Cypresskier

My EX343 with 962 hours started up today and had very little oil pressure. Upon opening the engine cover we saw oil in the bilge and when I pulled the stick it was mostly dry. I check the oil pretty regular and always watch the gauges. This was if it happened quickly. Oil filter was tight with no leaks, oil pressure sending unit tight with no oil residue. Nothing noted on top side with oil. Initial thought was rear main seal or maybe the oil drain line that runs from the bottom of the pan got a nick in it or rubbed a hole. Anyone had this issue? thoughts?

• Baller
An 07 and 08 196 had the oil pans rust through on our lakes. No clearance between hull and pan causes problems with water in bilge. If this is your problem , would replace with a plated pan that is more rust resistant. Good luck.

I've taken mine out, ground out the rusted area, took it to a muffler shop, and had them weld in some plate material. I think I gave the welder @ $40. Repainted the pan. So far, so good. I did the removal and installation myself.

• Baller
Jeff, now that I think about it the pan does seem like a viable suspect. Easy enough to pour oil into the engine and see if a new stream comes out. It's not like your packing doesn't leak like a rusty bucket. With Munn's lift, we could unbolt the engine and motor mounts lift it up and replace it the pan in no time. Wouldn't even have to disconnect lines or anything. We need to fix that packing while we're at it.

My 08 196 had the same problem last year. I replaced with an OEM pan. I replaced the drain hose with just a plug. This provides a little more clearance between the hull and the pan. Mine was rotted up through the drain hole threads. I fixed mine myself using a fork lift and lifting the motor 4 feet straight up above the boat and then changed the pan. The dip stick tube is held it with sealer so you may have to pull the windage tray and oil pump to get the new gasket in place. The prop shaft alignment needed to be reset after. Not a hard job just took two days.

Mike SN196

Thanks to all for the feedback. The boat is out of the water and at Munns shop where he has a forklift for the motor lift. Jody_Seal, I will email you about getting a pan. ShaneH, it sure would be nice if you and Munn had this fixed by the time I get back from Cabo! HA!!