Arms sore at elbows?

DefectiveDave

• Baller

I'm talking about the soreness which occurs after you have skied. It is generally most obvious when you try to straighten your arms or flex your bicep the day after skiing.

I know this is a really common soreness which generally passes as we ski more, but right now I'm struggling with it every time after I ski due to lack of time on the water. Does anyone know the root cause? I want to add some work at the gym to keep this from happening the next time I hit the water.

Currently my gym work is purely focused on skiing and consists of deadlifts, squats, planks, pull-ups, and deadhangs (for hand strength).

It seems to me it's either from bicep activation during the pre-turn or due to load on the arms during the pull. Thanks!

• Baller
Soreness in the bicep muscle itself (not tennis or golfers elbow) is most likely the results of deep water starts. The amount of load required to get out of the water, especially for heavier skiers with 2 feet in, is probably greater than the load when you are behind the boat. I have not seen any load data tests comparing the two, but that is what I feel. I concentrate on my get-ups every time. They can sap a lot of energy if you don't focus on technique.

• Baller

@Texas6, @andjules, @Marco,

It's not really tendinitis. It feels like delayed onset muscle soreness right where the bicep and forarm meet the elbow joint. The soreness appears to be in the muscles themselves. However, the soreness of the muscles is localized close to the joint. So it might be where the tendon meets the muscle.

It generally clears up in a couple of days, but it makes it difficult to ski for at least a few days if I get the chance. Today I actually had a rare opportunity to ski for the second time in 3 days, but by my 4th pass I was barely able to get up from my deep-water start due to the soreness/exhaustion in those muscles (I'm a skinny guy at around 160 lbs).

@tc,

So you're saying it's a bicep activation thing? I can definitely give them a shot, couldn't hurt.

• Baller

• Baller
Soreness at the base of the bicep is more from pulling with bent elbows. I know what you mean and I had it last night. It typically happens when I'm skiing more defensively due to rough water. It's not a soreness I get often when I ski on smooth water.

• Baller
Hey all, looks like the consensus is that I'm not keeping my arms straight enough, which is a distinct possibility. So that's something I'll need to add to the already very long "fix it" list. In the meantime I can probably add more intense and isolated bicep work to try to keep the soreness to a minimum. Thanks Ballers!

• Baller
If you strengthen your biceps, the next weak link is your elbows and that doesn't heal as fast. If you grip the handle in your fingertips rather than your palms, it's harder to roll your hands in and bend your elbows when you load up the rope. If you don't have the strength to do that in the course, at least do it before and after the course.