hard,or rubber edge?

• Baller

Modern skis are typically hard edged. Rubber edges are still made but have not proven as good all around as the hard edges. Rubber edges tend to wear significantly over time which adds to the drag and restricts how easily the ski gets air so even the best rubber edges deteriorate with time.

The modern skis have other improvements. The weight, stiffness and strength are improved with the latest engineering. Design advances have happened with trick skis.

Your old D3 needs replacement. You will improve with a new ski.

Eric

• Baller

Some of the best trickers use a different ski for toes. This is more a factor of optimizing binding placement than ski characteristics. There was a time when the rubber D3 was often the toe ski but that may be just keeping the old ski for the low impact tricks. Nowadays I see hardedge skis for both passes - with the older ski set up for toes.

A lot of people find an advantage with hardedge skis for toes.

Eric

• Members
@elr thanks for the suggestions. I don't do toes, because I had a bad experience with them. I hope to start flips, but I'm probably going to go back to the basics and build back up from there. @eleeski again, it's not that old. It's basically the same as the xt from last year. It works good for the tricks I currently do in my runs. Thanks again guys for the suggestions.

• Members
@Chef23 I'm not sure about starting them again. No offence, but I do a lot of school sports, and I don't want to jeopardize my season(coaches wouldn't be too happy). Last time I did toes, I pulled my hamstring pretty severely a week or two before nationals(when it was at San Marcos). I ended up being okay, but I still have problems with it sometimes, and I think it didn't heal properly. Thanks again for the suggestions

From what I understand, I think your ski is still perfectly fine for basic tricks, but if you want to change it and start learning flips, I think hard edges is a great choice. I find these skis more reactive and I believe it is easier to keep speed and direction when you are edging for your tricks. It will be more reactive. I am not one of the best trickers in the world but I have tricked over 7600 points, I used to ski on a rubber edge ski for a long time and it was great for tricks like 540s and steps but for flips, hard edge skis are definitely the way to go. I now use a D3 hard edges for my hand pass (43') and a rubber edge for toes (41').

• Baller

@texas_slalom_trick my son does a lot of school sports and frankly skiing has taken a back seat as he is focused on lacrosse. That said he still does toes and with the right release and release person they are as safe as anything else. My son also jumps and the only time he has been seriously hurt skiing was slaloming.

You can get hurt doing anything. I don't think toes are any more dangerous than flips.

If your hamstring is still bothering you after a year and a half you should see someone about it though.

• Baller
You might as well start trying flips now because they can take a long time to learn. There are plenty of people that can do flips on a rubber edge ski. No reason going out and blowing a bunch of money being a student. I bet the pros could throw them on a 2x12. Yeah someday when you progress you may wanna switch but for now just go throw some you ski will work for that.