2015 Prostar - Anyone Grinding the Rudder?

skibug

• Baller
3 light swipes with a file, and it's much better. Boat is finally dialed in, only took 3 nylon washers, a new tiller connection point and a shave off the rudder. You'd think it would come that way from the factory?! I wouldn't trade the wake for any boat, but who at MC didn't drive a 200 and realize that's how boats should come out of the box?! Rant over, still love the boat!!

• Baller
True, but 200's still don't require washers and a tiller attachment point change. I'm not saying CC builds everything perfectly, but they seem to have handling down to a science. I love how my PS drives now, I just don't like how it was up to me and advice on BOS to dial in the steering.

• Baller
For what it's worth, many people find that having a fair amount of rudder torque is helpful in giving proper feedback to the driver, and keeping a nice straight line. Having said that, I don't feel that way, a small amount of torque seems to be enough, and after changing the rudder adjustment on my Prostar, I love the way it drives. Could I grind it and get a little less torque, sure. But its a heck of a nice driving boat and the best boat I've owned to date. To each their own, but I don't see it as a major issue

• Baller

@MuskokaKy That makes 2 of us, although an Escalade is a bad example (from my experience anyway). :)

Honestly, I didn't NEED to tweak the steering as much as I did (or at all), I just want a very nimble and responsive boat. Now that I have it where I want it, I couldn't be happier with our purchase. Sounds like most buyers are happy with the stock settings.

• Baller

I don't find it so sad - I think really some of this is more an impeachment of the boat set up for local delivery. I had a marina job in my younger years and that was a big part of what we did on new boats, often they shipped with the interiors partially disassembled, or not on trailers. Outboards shipped separately and needed to be put right before the owner took delivery.

Huge issue was at the time we were providing lots of ez loader trailers and those had to be set up for the boat - sometimes the axles were way forwards and the tongue would barely have enough weight to keep the jack on the ground - you had to fix these things before the customer found them and since owners didn't want to grab their new toy with 20 hours on the gauge some of the "run in" type stuff got overlooked.

We had an aztec ski boat sitting there for a year - sold and its maiden voyage the thing was taking on water like crazy - no packing in the stuffing box! It luckily didn't get very far since the owner cracked the lid when he heard the bilge running - but you didn't find this running it on a hose.

Point being Cadillac sells 40k Escalades per year and has a consumer affairs rating <2/5 - meaning there are PLENTY of Cadillac owners with problems - and the people complaining about them are doing so because the customer service they received from the brand (dealership) did not bring them satisfaction on their 80,000$ car.

• Baller

@DW I won't speak for Chuck, but I did it this way due to simplicity. There's not much work space down there, so it's much easier to just take off the lock nut a pop on the washers.

It really surprised me how a little play at the cable connection point (with no washers) makes such a difference in handling.

• Baller
Ours is on the inner hole of the tiller arm and I prefer it there over the outside hole. You should run it both ways and decide for yourself which you prefer. I pull 39 off skiers everyday, some heavier, some lighter and I think it helps dampen the wheel input needed for the heavier guys.