Anyone got an opinion on the Ski Centurion Carbon pro?

Wal

Our Club is looking at a Ski Centurion Carbon Pro as a possible upgrade to our existing Malibu Response. Over the years we have run all of the usual brands including a series of Mastercraft Pro Star 190's, a Nautique and a number of Malibu's. On paper, the Carbon Pro looks like a decent boat and it appears to be well priced in our market. But its hard to get any solid feedback around long-term reliability. All of the boats look great when shiny & new but the real question is how will it wear over the course of say 2 or 3 seasons? Realistically we would expect to accumulate between 400 and 600 hours per season. Generally we aim to change boats every 3 seasons. Our club is primarily focused on Slalom & Jump. We need a solid reliable workhorse that will get the job done. Anyone got any genuine user feedback?

• Baller

I've had 3 Carbon Pro's to date. No issues with them. Current boat has 200+ hours on it. It's a PCM 6.0L , same engine used in the Correct Craft boats, so there should be no concerns for reliability from that perspective.

Yes, they are priced considerably less, mostly because they don't have all the bells and whistles of the other boats...a workhorse as you say. No compromises on the pull. I get the most positive feedback from the skiers at longer line and slower speeds regarding wake characteristics. Anything inside of 32 off and they're all very similar.

The other great thing is the floor being all SeaDek...can't beat it for daily use and ease of cleaning.

I'm the promo rep in South Florida and have one available to drive/ski if you're interested.

• Administrators

@Wal

Centurion is an advertiser here on BallOfSpray and I am extremely happy to promote their product.

There is always someone who as something pro or con to say about one brand or another. At this point I think the 4 brands are equal in terms of build quality. The overall construction of the Centurion is pretty much industry standard.

As stated above all 4 boats now use PCM engines.

Nautique, Malibu and Centurion all use PCM engines.

The 2014 and earlier Carbon Pro used a transmission that made a noise that freaked out some people. There was not a problem with the way that transmission worked but it made a "cluck" noise when you put it into gear. The naysayers all complained about the noise. Whatever. My 2016 is quiet.

My neighbor at the lake was the first guy on the promo team and had one of the very first Carbon Pros (2011?). It skied good. It drove ok. The next year's boat was a bit better. Hard to define what as different but it was better. Fast forward to today. I have had 3 Carbon Pros myself. The first one was very good and I think each one is slightly better. My 2016 is just lovely. I do not know what is different from my 2015 but it just feels tighter. I think it is quieter. It drives freak'n awesome.

In the wakeboard and wakesurf industries Centurion is a premium brand in the West. Centurion and Supreme are owned by Fineline Industries and now Fineline is owned by Correct Craft. Correct Craft also owns Nautique so Centurion and Nautique are sister companies.

In terms of price I would want to get a 2016 because I think (not 100% sure) that the 5.7 liter engine will not be available for the 2017. When the 5.7 goes away for good the basic boat will cost about 5k more. From what I understand the other 3 brands have already made the jump to the 5.3L for 2016 so their prices will reflect the more expensive engine.

• Baller

As on owner of a 2014 that I just purchased this year I can tell you I LOVE IT!!!

I have previously owned 3 other 3 event boats the most recent being a SN 196LE.

This boat may not have the bells and whistles that my 196LE had but I didn't buy it for bells and whistles. I bought it to ski and it's a SWEET SWEET machine. Love the wakes, the pull, the interior, etc.

Highly recommend the tug!

• Baller
Fineline and Centurion have been at this game a long time. One of my boats is a '91 Centurion and it's still very solid after 24 years so I sure wouldn't sweat their quality today...I'm sure it's top notch just a matter of what you want in a boat.

• Baller
The Texas State ski team has a 2014 6.0L that has been a solid boat. Drives and skis great for slalom and jump. For tricks, it leaves something to be desired. By the way, Manon Costard set the Collegiate Womens Slalom record of 3@39off behind this boat last year.

• Baller

Our club puts 600hrs per year on a Carbon Pro. Current boat has 1,200 hrs and is holding up great. Interior and exterior show typical wear but looks damn good for as much as we use it. We don't baby it either. It's a water tractor. We have had one PCM warrantee issue and otherwise standard stuff like impellers.

We test drove everything and chose this boat for both performance and cost. I expect we will run this boat to nearly 2k hrs and get another.

• Baller
@bishop8950 - the other thing you need to remember is that boat prices going up each year keeps used boat values high. I could easily sell my 2012 for at least what I paid for it 2 years ago since the price of a new one has skyrocketed. Now whether this is true for a CP which starts out pretty cheap I don't know but for the expensive boats they definitely hold their value once you get past the initial new to used depreciation hit.

• Baller
Maybe it's been said elsewhere on other threads or maybe I'm only in a small group that thinks this, but the CarbonPro gives me the best pull by far of all the tournament boats. I can move the boat a bit and the driver has to drive the boat and work with the skier more than the other boats. Don't get me wrong, I like ALL of the tournament boats, and train behind Nautique 200s, which I love. It's just so noticeable when I get a CP in a tournament. Feels like PP instead of ZO. If I was buying a boat, I'd get a CP based on price and skiability.

• Baller
@oldjeep - I think you are addressing my comment, so I'll respond. That is one way to put it, but stated that way it paints a negative picture of what I feel is a good thing when I drive or ski behind a CP. Tracking is a good thing of course, but to a point. When I drive a CP, I feel like I have to block the skier a little more actively on each side (other drivers should weigh in here). I actually like that. The 200s I drive feel like I can do that very slightly on one side, but because of tracking and rudder loading, can't/don't need to do it on the other side. I haven't been able to drive MCs or TXIs lately so can't comment on them. When I ski behind a CP, I consistently feel , regardless of the driver, that there is a little "give" when I get back on the handle and load. I get across wider and earlier because of it. I feel like I'm more in synch with the boat/driver. I don't get punished as bad for an overturn/overload, which is all too common with me.

• Baller

I like the centurion, have a fair bit of experience driving the 2014 and 2015 versions, but honestly couldn't buy one even if it was $20,000 less. While I am glad the clunk is gone for 2016, it is the tracking that would keep me from buying one. @jimbrake I disagree. Of my regular practice drivers on my river, I have 2 drivers out of 8 that I ski with regularly that I feel would give a really good ski ride with the centurion. My wife would drive it enough to get used to it, and @Deanoski would get it dialed in. Not to say the others are bad drivers, they just don't have as much experience and I rely on them just trying to drive straight. If I was on a private lake and had the same 1-2 guys driving me all the time, they would get used to the way it tracks, but my scenario puts all sorts of drivers behind the wheel, many that would only drive the boat a few sets a year. I would never get the same slalom ride. The other brands are just too far ahead in this one area and ensure me a better ski under less than ideal driving conditions.

I have not driven a 2016 yet, so when they fix the tracking, let me know................

I can't speak to durability but I got to ski behind @skihard 's 2014 and it's quite a boat. Plenty of power, good pull. Nothing to complain about. I think @kfennell has one that's a few years old with a decent amount of hours on it. Maybe he will chime in.

As far as skiability, great boat, almost non-existent wake even running at 15 off.

• Baller

@jhughes what don't you like about the looks? The boat for the most part is very nice with the exception of the ugly dash that even their high buck wake boats have.

I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder though. Current ugliest boat in my opinion is the nautique, and I'm not sure that could be fixed even with a lot of sticker removal.

• Baller
At the BroHo we are at the end of the 2nd year of our CP. Been great boat and no issues. We also have members with Malibu, SN and MC so I have a good bench mark. Our CP is a great work horse boat that just flat gets the job done. I have been so impressed I am in the process in buying another one for the club. OF

• Baller

I think it's a good looking boat. Never skied behind one. Really like how they windshield mounted the Bimini. Looks bitchin'. Only thing that looks a bit odd is the swim platform is very high up on the transom. Does it need to be that high to sit at the correct level in relation to the water?

Had a 1988 Centurion Tru Trac II way back...Cool boat.

Would definetly consider the CP if available as open bow.

• Baller

We have been using a 6.0L CarbonPro to tow lots of comps for more than a year now. Love the way it drives & skies. It has approx. 280 hours & has never missed a beat. At our first comp of the season we had countless PB's (including my own after just a handful of post-winter sets) & u10 boy exceeding Australian record.

If I was in a position to buy, I would have a CarbonPro in a heartbeat.

• Baller

@Wal I can't comment on @Goodeskier's comments because I don't know the characteristics of his site and can honestly say I have never driven a CP in a river and suspect that could be why he has experienced tracking issues. My promo is set up with some weight in the bow and good rudder/steering torque. Over the summer I turned this boat over to close to 2 dozen AWSA drivers at tournament sites and received very positive reviews on the performance, handling and tracking of the boat. Does it feel like it's "on rails" like the SN, no but does it hold a straight line easily for anyone with some driving skill....Yes. (There are area's for improvement like it's sensitivity to weight side-to-side which can be addressed with the standard ballast tank and the high platform which isn't really a performance issue) It get's up to speed quicker than any other boat so if you have a short set-up it this can be helpful.

• Baller
@RAWSki the CP's I have driven are all on private lakes. I am ok with driving one, I have gotten GREAT rides behind @robscholl-OF . If I lived on a private lake and had 1 or 2 guys that were going to be my ski buds, maybe. But, I don't have experienced enough drivers on a daily basis for me to buy a CP. I need the "on a rail" boat where I know even a limited experience driver can give a decent tow. My order of best to worst tracking is: Nautique, Malibu, Mastercraft, Centurion. I would likely choose one of the other brands based on my needs.

• Baller

I'm sure they all track well enough...I'd be making a wake decision. At my 28 opener and shorter no biggie they are all great but...my primary ski partner opens at 22 and watching him launch off the Txi wake at 22 with 2 guys and some gas in the boat was painful. Honestly didn't look like any fun and we are there to have fun.

So as much as I don't ski 22, I would look out for the guy I ski with most in my decision. I hear 22/34 is nice behind the CP...and it's nice behind my TSC1.

For our ski swamp if upgrading...it would be CP vs. newest/lowest hour/best priced 196 we could find. Maybe in the spring...

• Baller_
It would be interesting to get some data on ski platform height off water with boat at rest just to see if there are any significant differences across the brands. It can make a difference on effort required to hop on to the platform, not that it is critical for a vessel designed for a very athletic activity.

• Baller
Haven't been on a TXI, but there is a noticeable difference in platform height between an 04 and 06 LXI. The 04 is in at the water line and the 06 sits above the water at rest. Didn't seem to make any difference to me but it just looked odd when I first saw the 06.

• Administrators
@dw I would assume they all about the same. More to the point I have never noticed. I do always notice the height of the back of the boat and the how easy it is to get from the inside of the boat to the swim step. Pretty nit picky stuff.

• Baller_
@JTH: I do like the boats that do a good job of step over access, started by the Infinity and for myself it is a criteria in boat selection. I was a bit surprised on some feedback I got on the effect of platform height, particularly if the person is not very fit, like I noted, not a big deal for the athletic set. Cobalt actually has a flip down platform to aid platform access for the non athletic customers.

• Baller

As far as I know a platform ladder is still an option on just about every boat made if you are having issues getting out of the water. Can't say I've seen one on a DD lately but the system they use on the VTX would work the same on a TXI.

Older style

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvrccxP4q3Y

Newer style

http://i776.photobucket.com/albums/yy50/mrnate450r/Mobile%20Uploads/20140509_200822_zpse9b16b3a.jpg

• Baller
@ryno65 I think you are correct. With the low transom does it ever take water in the back when dropping into the hole? The Gekko GTR used to do that if you didn't keep a squeak of throttle on...just cutting it was a recipe for water over the transom. I think some of that was the molded in platform creating a ramp to the transom. Any issue with the CP and low transom?

• Baller
The CP platform does sit a few inches off the water line, definitely higher than older boats whose platforms were right at the water. By observation I think the CP is maybe an inch higher than the new MC and about the same as the 2016 TXi. Have never had an issue with water over the transom. You can dip the bow in wakeboard rollers in open water!