2015 Collegiate Jump and Slalom Crashes - NCWSA

Kelvin

• Baller
@ToddL, for the D2 women there is a high percentage (approx 35%) that did not land a jump. There is a push to allow a 4.5 foot ramp for all collegiate women to give more of them a chance to ride out a jump. I believe this would be a good thing for the sport. It would definitely shorten my video next year.

• Baller
@Kelvin Push? I believe it is in the rule book and an option during team online registration( I know it is in the SAC and East). It makes pulling Nationals & Regionals difficult because it is a seeded event and the ramp would need to be changed back and forth after the 4.5 skier to the next 5' skier. It would take a LOT of time. It is not used frequently in the SAC but we do talk about it and it has come up again recently to pull the first timers/ new jumpers at 4.5' or for them to have the option to do so. Hopefully we will be using this rule more in the spring and next fall.

• Baller

At traditional AWSA tournaments all those at a specific ramp height are grouped together regardless of seeding. It prevents changing tge ramp between a lot of skiers. Since ALL collegiate jumping is at 5 foot it's likely never been an issue. A 4.5' ramp makes a lot of sense.

A potential side problem is that many ramps can't go as low as 4.5'.

• Baller

@MattP, current NCWSA rules only allow a jump ramp lower than 5ft for B team.

A .235 ramp will be used for both men and women. At the discretion of the LOC, a lower ramp angle may be used for B team competition.

A 4.5 foot ramp should be allowed for A team as well.