Tournament shortline rope lengths

Fam-man

• Baller

How are the rope lengths decided? There seems to be reasonable decreasing increments down to 41 off. 38 to 39.5 = 1.5

39.5 to 41 = 1.5

After 41 the next increment is 2 feet shorter at 43. Why not stick with the 1.5 foot increments?

• Baller_
If you look at the metric lengths of the rope, it looks more consistent. I believe 39, 41, and 43 are all separated by half a meter. The English equivalent in feet is approximate and not actual. The metric measurement is actual.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller

Starting with "35 off":

12.00m, 11.25m, 10.75m, 10.25m, 9.75m, and then fantasy lengths of 9.50, 9.25, etc.

Deltas: .75m, .50m, .50m, .50m, then .25 on...

At one time, especially for Pro events, I was proposing that the lengths be based on course

width. At that time, 11.50m was a pass that tended to separate out the winners. Compared

to that, you might have +1 meter, minus .5 meter, etc. Idea never really took off, along with

a Buoy Zero idea to replace the endgate.

• Baller

Suddenly the Americans are in a tough spot. Admit the metric system is better and that's why the sport is based in metric or admit they didn't define the sport.

As a Canadian I will sit back and watch, eventually siding with the winning team.

• Baller
This would be where Ed Brazil tells us when and how it went from imperial to metric, I'm pretty sure it started in feet and went to metric to adapt for international competition. The metric system is pretty user friendly for water skiing.

• Baller_
I think the AWSA existed before the IWSF (now the IWWF). IWSF was formed in 1955. I can show a copy of a booklet we received with a 1954 Evinrude that has an AWSA membership application in the back. In fact, the book itself talked about slalom courses, jump, etc.

• Baller_

Here are some of the pages from that 1954 Evinrude book, including a slalom course layout of 315 yards and a history of the AWSA and tournaments going back to 1939. I haven't seen any European or Canadian literature on the subject yet that shows a sports discipline originating or any organized competition occurring earlier than 1939.

uwz16nbo661d.jpg

4z4f8r13fo2v.jpg

6uotv7drvcq3.jpg

• Baller_

Here is some additional history on water skiing and organized competition.

http://www.usawaterskifoundation.org/#!history-of-water-skiing/c1rp6

Regarding the invention of water skiing, there has been some discussion about some French snow skiers adapting their skills to water in 1926 or so, but that would be 4 years after Ralph Samuelson.

• Baller_
@Than_Bogan, the first time I slalomed was on a jump ski from the 50s, which were incredibly similar to those slalom skis. It was 72" long with no back toe piece. Just put foot flat on the back. This was when I was 9 in 1974, behind a 25 HP Sea Bee motor (made by Goodyear).

• Administrators
@Edbrazil I thought Horton Lake was originally Imperial and then Metric in about 72. Thought you did the survey. I may have still been crapping in diapers at the time.

• Baller_

Well, we've talked about a lot of great stuff on this thread, but did we settle the question of whether the USA invented and organized the sport of water skiing or not?

@Fam-man and @gsm_peter, did you get your questions answered?

My summary is this:

1. Water skiing first invented/discovered in 1922 by Ralph Samuelson in Minnesota.

2. Water skiing first organized as a competitive sport in 1939 by the AWSA.

3. Official slalom course layouts in many evolutions (e.g. 315 yards) and in English/Imperial measurement units originally.

4. Official measurements for speed, rope, distance, course layout changed to metric for Olympic consideration reasons.

• Baller

I have seen some things described slightly different but I do not have references so End of discussion from my side.

Note. not related to the discussion above!!

It would be interesting if someone with more knowledge than me could create a more detailed history tread about how the slalom course evolved over time over the world (year and changes).