So you want to know what a TSC hulled 196 might be worth? What's for sale?

Fast351

• Baller

I've been researching buying a 196 for a while, and have put together this spreadsheet that has every 196 that I could find on the internet between SIA, BoatTrader, OnlyInboards, and Craigslist. The list contains 80 different boats from 1997 to 2009.

It also contains the following: Asking price, engine hours, primary hull accent color, speed control option, state where for sale, listing date, trailer axle count, and the URL where the boat can be found. It also contains a rating for what I view the interior and exterior condition to be.

This has kind of been a fun project for me hunting/scouring the internet every couple of days for new listings. I figured I'd share the fruits of my labors with BoS, figured it might be useful for someone out there.

Couple of notes: Obviously this is perishable data. These boats will probably sell within the next few months, and as boats get a year older, the price drops. I'm sure there are probably plenty of errors and incomplete data, as well as the condition rankings being based on available pictures, some of which, quite frankly, people need to learn to take better pictures if you're trying to sell a 10K-30K boat. Also, the hours for 2000-2002 boats are probably a guess at best since so many of these have had their crappy Teleflex gauges replaced with either new Teleflex gauges (resetting the hour counter without leaving any evidence) or replaced with Faria gauges (resetting the hours counter). The number of these boats with a factory installed Perfect Pass is pretty low so take those years' hours with a grain of salt.

I also found it interesting the massive number of 1997s and 1999s, with relatively few 1998s, which were all with the exception of 1, green. Anyways, here you go. My personal hunt continues.

• Baller

I think what's funny out there is the gross overpricing of some TSC1's...thinking they can ask $19.9K for a '99 or $16.9k for a '97. Some other guy in the $18k's with a carb motor. With that logic I have a boat in XS of $20K...yah smokin' some good stuff there.

Cool spreadsheet, good luck on your search.

• Baller

Number 19 on your list is totally trashed if it is the same boat i looked at

the hull is beat to hell and one of the fins is broken in half the other two did

not look much better and the adjuster was gone. Would have been a total waste

of five hours driving to go see it if I did not stop to see a old friend on the way.

• Baller
Great question and learning experience for me to always get a compression test before buying. I had engine issues right after buying the boat. After the 3rd time out (and first one with family) it stopped running 15 feet from the dock. Boat had several bad valves, so I got the engine completely rebuilt.

• Baller

Deal of the Year

2014 Mastercraft Pro Star 197 425 hours, bow cover, 5.7 Ilmor, MC Road Cover, Red Bimini, used on private lake only, 3 small scratches, interior is in very good condition, all maintenance done as scheduled, one recall for a water pump, boat belongs to Alabama Water Ski Team, UA has said sell it $37,500, check out on ski-It-again. This boat has not been misused or beat up. It runs out perfect.