Checking shaft seepage

XR6Hurricane

• Baller

Trying to help a friend make sure she's getting the right information. I've had many outboards over my life but other than skiing behind inboards, don't know much about them and have never owned one. My understanding is that the shaft is supposed to leak just slightly, like maybe a drop every 30 seconds or something like that, to keep the packing lubricated. Is that correct? Her boat seems to be leaking more than it used to...there's quite a bit of water in it after it sits a couple days. Thought maybe it needed adjustment/work. Dealer said they can't find anything wrong when she took it in to get it winterized, but that they can't really check it without it being in the water. Does that sound right? I would have thought that there would be a way to pressure check the shaft? Thanks.

• Baller
You have to adjust the packing nuts with the boat in the water. You are looking for a drip every 10 seconds or so. You need a couple special wrenches to do the job. Once adjusted, put the boat in a forward idle for a bit and make sure the packing nuts are not getting hot. Or better yet just switch to a water cooled dripless shaft seal like modern boats have;)

• Baller

Per my 02 SN 196 manual, it says "The propeller shaft stuffing box should be checked frequently (with the engine off) for excessive leakage other than a few drops per minute. This rate is acceptable and expected.

I heard 1 drop for every 10 seconds which is about the same as a few per minute... Speaking of which, I need to adjust mine!

• Baller
You can actually crank the packing quite a bit tighter than 1 per :10. If after idling for a few minutes and packing box isn't too hot to touch your in the clear. I'd steer clear of a DSS, costly systems with an increased failure rate. You can always fill bilge up with water while boat out of water and look for water leaking out. The latter isn't always as clear as one would hope.

• Baller
My 196 may drip a little, but it's sure not a drip every ten seconds. It's an '08 and I've never adjusted it. All season long and I never drain the bilge. When I pulled it out for the winter I soaked it up with a small towel.