Any initial impressions of 2016 200 5.3 DI?

swc5150

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Baller
I don't have one but have skied three so far in tournaments and fortunate to get some practice behind two of those. One of them was a couple days in a row. Very, very nice ride. It felt like it had less swing in speed than the 5.7 (I have one of those) but more solid, like the 6.0. I also felt is seemed a little softer than the 6.0, still right there firm, just not as hard. Like it better than the 5.7, hard to say over the 6.0 but maybe. I tried B1, B3 and C1-3 and stayed with my normal C1, what I ski the 5.7 and 6.0 at. Do like it over my 5.7 but not enough to get a new one, not that different. Would really like to try the 450. At 6'1" 220 I like the bigger engine boats, they seem smoother to me.

• Baller
I did a back to back comparison between my '15 - 6.0 and a '16 - 5.3 with two very strong 35MPH men 2 jumpers. One jumps in slalom mode, one in jump mode. Both jumping in the 170's. For the one jumping in jump mode, no problem getting 5.19's in the first segment on either boat with a 4 power factor. For the jumper jumping in slalom mode I had to crank the power factor up to a 5 to get 5.20's on the 6-liter. (would probably have gotten to 5.19's with a 6 power factor but didn't have enough jumps to get there) I put the power factor on a 5 with the 5.3, same letter, and also got 5.20's. The 5.3 felt like it had lots of torque as well, way more than a 5.7. There is no way a 5.7 would pull those times with those jumpers, The 5.3 at 35.4 feels pretty close to the 6.0 in torque, so I would expect torque/feel at slalom speeds of 34.2 and 36 to be pretty close to the 6. (I haven't pulled any slalom with one yet and missed the season skiing because of injury, so I can't weigh in there) Before the horsepower numbers came out I had guessed around a 30-40 hp difference between the two based on the top end being around 3 mph lower on the 5.3. When they later published the horsepower at 355, I feel I was pretty close. My gut tells me it is underrated a little in horsepower, probably around 370-375.

I've driven one at a couple of different sites in Az. Elevation around 1500. One is a short setup and the 5.3 performed very well, even with 36 mph skiers. I was impressed with the power and it is a lot quieter than the 6.0. Hard for me to compare to the 6.0 as I have only driven them at 4700 ft. Skiers liked it and it drove and tracked great. The new seat is nice, a little too upright for me, probably a adjuster for that somewhere?

• Baller
Excited to ski behind the 5.3 I have a theory that I ski my best tournaments behind the 6.0 because it never has to work really hard to keep pace. I am hoping the 5.3 is going to have that sort of feel at shortline. If so, that might become my next big purchase............

• Baller

Yes the engine box is about 3 inches wider. It is also taller, along with the pylon. Much quieter. You will find the 5.3 is almost the direct replacement for the 6 liter. I have a 6.2 and it's a beast. I feel it skis the same as the 5.3. The engines are also lighter due to all aluminum.

This may be the first time that the engine and technology in a ski boat is exactly what you will find in your 2016 Chevy and GMC trucks.

• Baller
Have had 5.3 for about a month. Absolutely LOVE IT. better gas consumption than 5.7, quiet, very powerful, and smooth. Can't believe how much more power it has than a 5.7. Have owned 20 New Nautiques, and 17 new Master Crafts. Pulled CP the other day 4 at 41. My 2016 Nautique 200, is BY FAR, the best tug I have ever driven or owned. Nice job NAUTIQUE.

• Baller
the 5.3 feels amazing, could be the newer zo with faster response time as well..hard to tell..seems to use less fuel and it's hard to believe, but every the handling gets better. it is a bit more $, small in the big picture, but it's what we're going to get at tournaments

• Baller_
@bigtex2011, the 5.3 might be more expensive in the boats this year because they are now all aluminum (as @skierjp mentioned). I believe that, prior to 2014, the 5.3 in the trucks was available in several incarnations - as cast iron or aluminum. Now, I think the aluminum is the only option and might be the cost differential over the legacy 5.3 that was prevalent in the trucks. I would expect the trucks to also show that cost differential this year.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller
Hey, I'm a hacker, not a good skier, on a very, very, very good day, everything being perfect, buoys small and low, no wind, no back wash, maybe run 35, MAYBE. Usually 3 at 35. I'm Old, and probably couldn't tell the difference ( SKIING behind) any of the Big Four slalom boats. I'm a motor head, drag racer, motorcycle racer, and just like high performance machines. I'm not comparing the Nautique 200 ( 5.3 ) to any other boats except the Nautique 5.7, which I am most familiar with. Driving the 5.3, ( pulling skiers from 30 mph 15 off , to 36 mph 41 off) the boat, is spectacular. ( in my opinion) the power, the smoothness, etc. I can't believe they got that much more performance, out of the 5.3 compared to the 5.7. Amazing.

• Baller

Let's all take a deep breath here, maybe tap the brakes a little. There are no second coming of boats, just next generation or iteration of boats.

The consensus in this thread is this boat/engine is the "GREATEST THING EVAH"! Let's remember the perspective from the origins of information.

For everything with many positives there are going to be negatives. Nothing is perfect in this world.

The new 2016's with the 5.3l engine has been interesting as we have been in/out/behind several of them. From appearances, the boat is a further work of art by Correct Craft. It's beautiful even with the larger engine box. The box is taller, wider but very plush. The interior is crisper looking, however you take it. Very sharp boat.

Regarding the engine, that's been a different story. It seems some lighter skiers have really enjoyed it and are not having any issues. Some of the heavier shortline guys aren't gelling with the engine/ZO combo. Myself included. It might be finding the right Zero off setting as well but there has been a downturn in the buoy count or consistency. Guys who usually are smooth, now , one mistake and their fighting for their passes. Guys who typically aren't smooth aren't able to get there as they get behind the curve and struggle.

I personally have not had a chance to ski test-ski the boat while trying all 9 settings in a controlled environment. Nor have we heard someone recommend a setting based on other settings (i ski A2 on a 5.7 and B1 on a 6.0l (credit to Jody Seal for the recommendation in 2012) ) Maybe it's a setting change for skiers but I personally am consistently down 6 buoys on 2-3 different settings. Somethings got to give.

Several boat buyers have commented that if they had to buy a 5.3l right now, they would not. Unfortunately, i am in that camp too. My 5.7l is for sale with the original intention of replacing it with a 5.3l 2016 soon. Not so fast.

If all things remain the same, I'll be selling my boat and probably switching to a different brand of boat next year. Call me a basher or anything like that but I am a realist while having owned 3 different 200's and 6 nautiques total in the last 8 years.

I love to vote with my wallet and would not be surprised if the market votes the same way based on as things stand now with this engine/ZO combo and people move away from it.

• Baller
@scoke is right based on feedback we got this weekend at the tournament. Quite a few skiers complained about the new ZO system and not just in the Nautique, but in the Centurion as well. The general feeling was that the pull was on them too long or at least peaking at a later point in the pull than the dual puck system. While I skied close to my average with the Centurion, I felt I was scrambling with too much speed at the buoys while the dual puck Mastercraft felt fine to me. I went down a pass early with the 5.3 Nautique though I have skied close to my average behind one in an earlier tournament, but again I felt I was out of control. I believe all this can be corrected via software and I hope they do so soon.

I'm with @scoke and @Roger , the 5.3L is not working well for slalom. Way to many skiers complaining including some who get their boats for free. This could be the new ZO single puck and software or maybe the prop or both. Either way this set up in not ready for tournaments if you would like to keep your slalom ranking up.

• Baller
The 2016 approved ZO software is on USAWS' web site. Click on 3E, tow boats & speed control, approved boats, and then 2016 approved ZO. The version has the same number ending in R for all four brands with ECI single puck. I don't know if this arose out of the AWSA boat tests which were last week (I think) or something else.

• Baller
The new single puck ZO is different. Not sure if it skis better or worse but it is definitely different. It felt harsh to me so I went from C1 to B1 and ran about the same buoys I have been running. It's going to be an interesting tournament year since we are likely to get a mix of Garmin dual puck and new ZO single puck boats. I don't know how much more can or will be done to make the new system more familiar.

• Administrators
If the new pucks and the 5.3 engines are as foreign as you guys make it sound it's just one more thing discourage people from going to tournaments. Let's just all quit the sport now.

• Baller

Reminds me a little of when Perfect Pass was changed 2 days before Regionals.As Nancy Kerrigan said,Wyhyy....?,Whyyy.....?

I'm with @Horton . sad. And we're paying for this.Even if we can't grow the sport, at least we could stop the bleeding.

• Administrators

ok have have regained my composure and have a question for the folks who have experienced the unfriendly pulls.

These boats that feel bad are

5.3 and are the new single puck?

or

all all the single puck but not all 5.3?

or

all all 5.3 but not all single puck?

• Baller
I don't think it's the 5.3 personally. I felt the Centurion with the single puck system was also more difficult to ski behind than the dual puck. I have many sets behind this particular 6 liter Centurion with the dual puck system and now a couple with the single puck system and I much prefer the old dual puck setup. However, I believe this is simply a teething issue and can be solved through software changes. I have heard the new puck has a higher sampling rate and it could be that the engineers just need to drop the rate to match the old system or skip some of the samples if the rate can't be altered. Conversations with the appropriate people are underway as I write this.

• Administrators

thanks for the feedback @Roger

If it is going to work itself out then I can go back to sleep

If there is any chance that we are about to face a situation where a 2016 boat with latest engine or ZO has a noticeably different ride than a 2015 or older boat - that would be a massive screwup. If skiers need a current year boat to compete it will be a replay of the PP to ZO disaster.

• Baller
I bet the primary factor is the ZO/single puck. I have skied it in 5.7/6.0 and it's different. I was able to adjust and yet to be seen how many people won't care and how many have a hard time. I bet the new engines are sweet as a stand alone item, but I haven't skied one yet. Having control over puck manufacture was the top priority. Equivalence was worked on and not entirely achieved. It is not anywhere near as drastic as PP to ZO. It's minor in comparison. I would call it a significant tweak and not a game changer

• Administrators

Because I was worried about this engine cruise control thing I made some phone calls this morning. I am now under the impression that people are scrambling to correct the single puck problem and there is probably nothing to worry about