LXI Fuel filter

customski

• Baller

Went to service a 2010 Lxi the other day, no fuel filter to be seen, enquired with the local dealer who told me they are an unserviceable set up in the fuel tank. It is an Australian built boat with the 350 Monsoon engine.

Can anyone shed any light on this set up? Seems strange, my 07 LX had the paper cartridge type filter in top of tank.

Thanks.

• Baller

I had a sock filter on an old Cadillac plug up on me. What a pain.

I had a sock filter on my old 76 Nautique (it might have been a different boat - it was a long time ago). When it plugged up we just blew backward on the fuel line to fix it. That might have been challenging as there was a check valve we had to work around. Eventually we used compressed air and blew the sock off. An aftermarket filter in the fuel line solved the problem for good. Note, this was a suction line.

My 97 Nautique had a giant fuel water separator filter near the fuel pump. Great system! Trapped tons of stuff and water. Replacement was when the filter rusted too much.

The UCLA team 98 Malibu had a fuel filter in the suction line right above the tank. But the old fuel line was starting to degrade and plug up the fuel pump screen with rubber flakes. So we replaced the fuel line with new and moved the fuel filter to right under the fuel pump. Solved that problem. There was also a high pressure fuel filter downstream of the fuel pump.

My 04 MC has the fuel pump and filter in the tank. The fuel pump was straightforward to service (fortunately as it was quite unreliable) and the huge filter never looked dirty. You have other problems if this filter is an issue over the life of the pump. I heard that some Malibus used this filter/pump setup as well.

I have no idea about my 2011 Indmar powered MC. No problems ever with the fuel system! The way I like it.

Eric