Off-Season Exercise

akale15

• Baller

If you can have one piece of exercise equipment in your home to help train for the upcoming ski season what would it be?

My wife and I stay fairly active skiing, swimming and biking in the summer but now during these winter months we are looking for an alternative knowing we need to do something to stay in shape as well as trying to keep cost down. Cardio and core seem to be my biggest weak points when the season begins and I want to try and stay on top of that this winter. We have been thinking about a rowing machine...figured it offers both cardio, core/back as well as some leg/arm strength.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

• Baller
I have a C2 rower in my home gym and use it all the time. Fantastic for all of the core muscles we use in slalom and great for cardio as well. If I had to choose a single item? Kettle bell is a great call but so is a pull up bar

• Baller_
Why just one? If space is the object, okay. If money is the object, shop garage sales and Craigslist. There's lots of really good, barely used exercise equipment out there.if you live in the Great White North, get some skate skis. Hard to beat skating on cross country skis for a full body and cardio workout. And you are outdoors. Or get @bkreis to design a winter workout routine for you. All you'll need are a bunch of dumbells and a big blue ball.

Lpskier

• Baller
I am currently doing the P90x and Insanity hybrid schedule which I will do for Nov,Dec, and Jan. For Feb, Mar, and Apr I will be doing Insanity. If I am feeling strong enough by April I may try Insanity the Asylum Volume 1. Minimal equipment needed. Better than any workout at the gym, especially Insanity..

• Baller
I bulk up easy so when I do P90x I do lighter weights and more reps. I am also currently rehabbing my right arm from bicep tendonitis. At first it appeared to be a torn rotator, but after resting for two weeks before seeing my doctor it healed up quite a bit and he said it was tendonitis. Going lighter on the weights until it is 100%. I would say it is at 97%. I can do most of the Yoga X now. Insanity is the better program for my body type. I am built more like a football player than a skier. P90x is better for people who are really thin and need to put on some mass. Insanity is best for cardiovascular workouts.

• Baller
I bulk up easy so when I do P90x I do lighter weights and more reps. I am also currently rehabbing my right arm from bicep tendonitis. At first it appeared to be a torn rotator, but after resting for two weeks before seeing my doctor it healed up quite a bit and he said it was tendonitis. Going lighter on the weights until it is 100%. I would say it is at 97%. I can do most of the Yoga X now. Insanity is the better program for my body type. I am built more like a football player than a skier. P90x is better for people who are really thin and need to put on some mass. Insanity is best for cardiovascular workouts.

• Baller
Until Christmas dinner and New Years have passed externally what's the point? If a person in shape quits working out, all is lost within two weeks. Is just like you never worked out at all. I will hit my wait program starting Jan 3 or when my daughter clears all her stuff from around my workout area, whichever occurs later!

• Members
Olympic bar for dead lifts...the most effective strength training for most sports, especially skiing. The reason being that it strengthens the core so much, especially if you consciously flex your transverses muscles while lifting. Use the same bar and weights for power cleans, the second most effective for skiing. If that takes too much space, Third would be a pull up bar, palms away works the back better. I argue that course skiing is anaerobic, so doing low rep workouts and ignoring 'cardio' workouts will leave you less winded after 6 buoys in the spring. Also, studies are starting to show that high intensity/short duration exercises are better at preventing cardiovascular events than a long drawn out medium intensity cardio workout.

• Members

just to back up my opinion on best exercises to help you this winter...

Aerobic vs. Anaerobic Exercise

Kenneth Cooper, M.D., an exercise physiologist, first coined the term “Aerobic”. He used running, walking, swimming and bicycling in a scientific exercise program. When you walk briskly or run slowly without a shortness of breath, you are exercising aerobically. Anaerobic exercise occurs when a person runs faster and they gasp for oxygen due to a shortness of breath.