Team Skiing

ForrestGump

• Baller

The idea has been kicked around here and there lately. But I thought I'd throw out how another sport does it. BMX has a HUGE team competition in three categories. Team standings at the end of the season are almost as big a deal as individual standings. I really got to thinking about this after a manufacturer told me "Man, hopefully I can get Team Hostile to come on board with us at some point." In essence, team riding is important enough to them that the manufacturers compete against each other to get teams to ride their gear. I realize that the count of manufacturers and skiers isn't nearly comparable in waterskiing, but it goes to show the importance they place on teams. My girlfriend's son is on a top 3 Trophy Team and it's fun to see the camaraderie and spirit they have. And they're not necessarily all in the same area. His team has riders in Texas, Oklahoma, Missouri, Louisiana and a few other states. @jeffsurdej Thoughts?

Here's how the description is:

TEAMS

Team racing consist of three national team categories;

Trophy - a non-rostered team, competing for trophy of the day

Bike Shop - any rostered team that calls itself a Bike Shop Team

Factory - any rostered team where a sponsor manufactures any component for bicycles or calls itself a Factory Team

Team racing is about the camaraderie of being part of a group effort. Each rider competes for their own best effort and the best four finishes on a team sheet for the days standing against other teams finishes. BMX Team racing can be strategy and it can be luck!

Team Points are the overall standings in the three above team categories after each national weekend. Team scores are verified in the office after race and published on-line. The team racing season runs through the Grands where all teams compete for a year end award and bragging rights of being the best!

US TEAM STANDINGS

Trophy Team counts the best 6 scores

Bike Shop Team counts the best 8 scores

Factory Team counts the best 12 score

• Baller
Sounds like something that is easily doable. Can be incorporated into any tournament without modifying it. Joe, Jim and Jill are all from Lake SoandSo and team up there scores. Or in my case being from the northeast a team that consists of skiers from a specific state so you can get enough members at a tournament. Something to play with and it does sound like a lot of fun. We can talk smack at a tournament without sounding like a douche.

• Baller

One of the events that they tried at the Old Marine World in Redwood City was Team

Jumping. Probably before they incorporated some other events like Womens Jumping and

4-buoy Slalom.

3 jumpers behind the boat. Each takes a jump, and the distances are summed for a score.

Then, there is a 4th jump available to either make up for a fall or for one of them to add

to his original distance. There was a good bit of timing and strategy so that the other two

could get as much out of the way as possible. One method was for the 3 to lock arms on

the whip-style countercut.

This exact scenario was presented to the AWSA Board at the summer meeting. There has also been some programming done to develop/admin the teams, link to the ranking list, etc. The idea is to have any number or type of teams including husband/wife, father/daughter, club teams, factory teams, Pro/Am teams, etc. Each with various 'rules' to establish the teams in a particular league.

The functionality also includes a handicap system which should level the playing field. Anticipate seeing this rollout this spring. The idea is to have a team ranking list where a champion can be crowned in various categories.

Also in the works is a team concept for Regionals/Nationals. Pending approval, each region would put together state/area teams which would compete at Regionals. Each team consists of 5 men, 5 women and 5 juniors in each event (single, two or three event skiers). The top 4 scores count for the team score. Each region then sends one team to compete against each other at Nationals. Expect to see more info at the regions winter meetings.

Both of these ideas have been the work of a AWSA "Special Interest Group" which was put together after the winter meeting last year. I hope to see both ideas come together this year and add a spark to the competition again!

• Baller

One of the events that they tried at the Old Marine World in Redwood City was Team

Jumping. Probably before they incorporated some other events like Womens Jumping and

4-buoy Slalom.

3 jumpers behind the boat. Each takes a jump, and the distances are summed for a score.

Then, there is a 4th jump available to either make up for a fall or for one of them to add

to his original distance. There was a good bit of timing and strategy so that the other two

could get as much out of the way as possible. One method was for the 3 to lock arms on

the whip-style countercut.

• Baller
@JeffSurdej has been holding team tournys for a while now in Illinois. Was signed up for it a few years ago, but got dinged up 2 days before the tournament. Looked like a lot of fun. Skiers would put their teams together with all three events. Maybe Jeff is bringing his experience to AWSA?

• Baller
Pending board approval we will have our first AWSA team event this year where the teams compete at Regionals and the top winner at Regionals go onto Nationals. Teams are 5 men, 5 womens, 5 juniors. Its based off of NOPS but then points are awarded by placement only like NCWSA. Should be fine...stay tuned for more info or contact your regional council.

• Baller

Teams would be fun for class C's. Good way for newbies not to be as intimidated, to meet fellow competitors, and to have something other than yourself to ski against...probably bring out some friendly and family rivalries as well depending on how the teams end up split.

How to score is another issue. I've seen skiing against one's average but not everyone has an average...especially newcomers. If possible could try to have a high end skier, a mid range skier and a beginner then take total buoys but may be hard to have this mix on all teams at a given tourney.

Could also consider awards for goofy stuff like terrible crash awards, scrappy/ugly pass awards, missing your entry gates (I became a first-time gate whiffer last fall...tho it had to be damned close), PB awards, why did you hang on to that awards, newcomer complete pass awards. It could all be relatively inexpensive stuff as prizes but would be fun to announce on the mic during the tourney.

Notice I didn't call any of these "best crash" type stuff cuz that would all have to happen at the end and not everyone sticks around. Also when it's over a lot of people bug out so as stated above anyone with a terrible crash could get announce during the tourney for fun.

@ShaneH that's the intention of the league idea introduced last year. A "year long" or "these 4 tournaments" or even one tournament team scenario where a simple handicap system makes it fun and competitive.

The "regionals/nationals" idea is a slightly different approach using straight NOPS scores but requiring a mix of team members to work.

Both excellent ideas in my opinion.