Thinking about a new boat, been too long since i sold my last one.

Jeff_70

Okay guys was planning on going down to the houston area and trying to take a look at the Malibu that is in Katy for 19900, as the wife has family down in that area. But, I have been all over craigslist and found a very lower hour, 180 hrs,2006 Moomba Outback that looks brand new from the pictures. And it has a trailer....unlike the one in Katy. The moomba has a tower, has the 325 HP motor, and PP star gazer. I can get into it cheaper than either malibu i was looking at. The one in Katy, TX (would have to buy a trailer 2500-3000 depending on options) or the one in Milwaukee, WI.

8u7bl99kb18r.jpg

Thoughts?

Thanks! Jeff

• Baller
If both boats (the Malibu and the Moomba) were in similar shape, I would agree with Glock and get the Malibu. The extra cost is worth it. The Outback is a nice boat, my neighbor has one, it will do everything the Malibu does but it is a very utilitarian boat. If I was in your spot it would come down to seeing both boats and picking the nicer/better cared for one.

• Baller
Moomba's are nice for what they are. Strong powertrain, as it's essentially the same as MC used prior to moving to Ilmor (base Indmar Predator anyway). Just be aware the construction materials are not of the same caliber as Bu, MC or CC. Nature of the beast when building an "entry level" boat, and not necessarily a bad thing, just something to know going into it. Being around a lot of Moomba's, I've noticed the upholstery doesn't hold up as well, so take extra care keeping it clean and out of a lot of sun exposure when not in use. Definitely drive/ski whatever you're looking at before dropping the cash, obviously. Good luck!

• Baller
I have a 99 Malibu Response LX. Great boat still in excellent condition and the wake is great. The wake is as good as anything I've skied behind especially if you keep the gas tank below 1/2 a tank. I ski some on the next gen LXI and it has a great wake also. The other think is the Malibu will hold up better and hold its value better. If you really get into slalom you might find yourself wanting a Zero Off boat in a few years (like myself). The saleability may became a big plus.

• Baller

New boats big discounts vs. Big 3 perhaps consider if you must be a new boat buyer. Used boats with huge depreciated values take a big 3. The price differences get closer but the quality differences over years of wear become more prominent.

Given your price points, need for a fantastic slalom wake, interior space needs Malibu Response Lxi seems the best choice overall. Prostar 197 OK too granted you are at higher speed and shorter lines...longer lines/slower speeds it's tougher. Nautique 206 does a remarkable job but not many out there on used market and seems owners think they are worth more than they should be.

Meeting with Rick (2006 RLXI in Katy TX) on Saturday. He is going to take the boat out and run it for me. He even offered to pull me a few times. Holy hell it would be cold, even that close to the gulf. Low 50's and who knows what the water temp is, WOW!!!!

What do yall think? Man up and do it? I have no wet suit or dry suit.....

• Baller
Two years ago I bought an '03 Outback with 180 hrs on it. Its a utility boat without all the bells and whistles but there is plenty of room in it especially with the back seat removed. I would agree the the upholstery does not seem as beefy as a Malibu but I wouldn't consider that a deal breaker. The Outback is a great boat.

Okay first off, no pics as my phone was broke. New one is in OKC in the mailbox. Boat drives great, wow ton of power... How similiar is star gazer to ZO? This boat has SG and it works,they ran the course and it beeps or something. He explained it to me.

I tried to ski but hands were so cold, didn't have gloves forgot them, and it was ricks ski So all things considered, I love the boat! Tried twice to get up, 2nd try he just pulled the rope right of my hands. I was done, BI was like -10.......wet suit worked great but hands were brutal.... will have boat once trailer is done. I am going to give him a depsoit, then when trailer is doneI I will come get it.

• Baller_

@Jeff_70,

StarGazer is only similar to ZO in two ways:

1. It can map the slalom course and does not require magnets for timing.

2. It measures boat speed by GPS and uses that to react and maintain your preset speed.

The actual pull of StarGazer is vastly different than Zero Off. HOWEVER, you can add the zBox option from PerfectPass to StarGazer to get Zero Off emulation. I believe it is around $450 to add zBox to an existing StarGazer boat.

If your boat already has the zBox option, you are as close to Zero Off as you will get. I've skied some zBox boats. Those that had their StarGazer dialed in properly before adding zBox were very good. They accelerated and settled in well and the pull was very close to ZO.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

First of all I want to say thank you to everyone that gave input. It was very helpful, more than you know. I have put a deposit down on the 06 Malibu in Katy, TX. I am having a trailer made for it in the Houston area. He will deliver trailer to boat location, perform final fit of the bunks and then I will have my new trailer with boat bound for OKC. I chose an aluminum trailer with galvanized Axel based on the fact that this boat/trailer will see lake Texoma. I did contact ezloader and boat mate and this trailer is only $200 more than their quotes, and it is designed as a salt water series trailer. The quotes were for steel tubular trailers.

Should be able to go pick it up in about 15-20 days!

So is it safe to say that when water ski magazine reviewed this boat it is a far cry from newer technology.

Link

I would imagine it does better than the boat I grew up behind, or the ones I owned although some of the master craft boats from the 80s that I skied behind were night and day from what I was used to.

I am not stuck on it, just around my price point and close to me. Thanks for the suggestions.

And just from what I have looked at I have not really been able to find a DD that fills the day on the lake playing with the family requirement. 3 of us, my son with his wife and daughter. Then my daughter with her son, and her boyfriend. So that's 9......

• Baller

@Jeff_70 it may be a little late to comment but I don't want you to have the same problem I have with my trailer.

I have an after market aluminum trailer, the previous owner of the boat bought the trailer. The trailer did not come with a prop guard. The company that built it normally builds trailers for I/O or outboards so they must not have known how low the prop is with the boat on the trailer.

Just make sure whoever is building your trailer knows you need a prop guard.