Quick Winterization Question

Glock

• Baller
So, I just picked up a new to me 2012 TXI right before Thanksgiving. The dealer winterized it, but only drained the engine and didn't fill it up with antifreeze. I has been cold here in Portland lately and I am a little worried, being from Michigan, I have always filled the engine with antifreeze. You all think I'm alright?

• Baller
Only has to be drained, it is fine to not fill it with antifreeze. Using antifreeze is typically more for corrosion protection and potentially to dilute any pockets of water that got left behind. If a dealer did the draining then I sure wouldn't worry about it as long as they remembered to blow out the heater core.

• Baller
It depends on how cold it can get. I'm from the area of Montreal, Qc and it gets in the minuses fahrenheit so just draining is very risky here. I did only drain a monsoon 325 a couple years ago following the procedure of some dealer on how to winterize that type of engine. Didnt put antifreeze as it was not recommended by that dealer and the following spring the circulating pump was cracked and leaking. There's always leftover water somewhere in the engine no matter how well you drain it so I think you should put antifreeze.

• Baller
I used to only drain the water in MN on an older Hydrodyne. Had some problems with internal corrosion flaking sometimes blocking drain holes. Not a big deal but now I use antifreeze and have not seen the flaking corrosion since.

• Baller
Another Canadian here.....I have always just drained the engine, but very thoroughly. Along with blowing our the heater core I 'rod' the knock sensor and drain plug holes with wire coat hanger on each side of the block. It's amazing how much water comes out with the rust flakes. My LXI 2004 has aluminum exhaust manifolds and one corroded through and leaked water at a casting node last year. We welded in a plug and it's fine now. I always carry a tube of JB Weld in case the other side goes while out on the water. I don't think I could fill the manifold with anti freeze and don't believe tha RV glycol has any inhibitors any ways. Also, I think that the manifold leak was galvanic and not oxidation.

• Baller

Originally from Canada and I would use a fake lake with a mix of antifreeze and water in my pails. (2 x 5 gallons) Once engine was flushed I removed all plugs in block, drained water pump, and removed all water lines at lowest points.

I would recover most of my mixture with pails under exhaust ports at back of boat and under drain in bilge area.

I lived in AB where it gets colder than most parts and never ever had an issue with ant of my boats.

Spring just did reverse. Put plugs back in, hooked up hoses and fake lake, Started boat up, let water circulate and loaded ski equipment into boat to head to lake.

Oh I always stored my battery in my basement on top of a plastic milk crate so it wouldn't freeze.