Camaro wet suits amazing

rodltg2

• Baller
So I am pretty much a wuss when it comes to the cold. So before going to the trouble of launching the boat getting all my ski gear ready I decided to test the waters. I put on my Camaro full suit , then my dry suit over the top and ski gloves. Jumped on in and I felt perfectly comfortable . quickly found out that my dry suit had a pretty bad leak and my leg was full of water. So I decided to take the dry suit off and just get in with the Camaro suit only. To my surprise I was still perfectly comfortable completely amazed by this. Water temp has been hovering in the low 40s.

• Supporting Member

Welcome to the Formerly-Cold Wuss Club!

Camaro is truly a miracle. Doesn't make sense that it could be so warm in the water.

My 2014 shirt is starting to stretch, though, which means it doesn't work as well. The Camaro ends up costing more in the end because it's not as durable. But it's easily worth it.

• Baller
@cragginshred was my experience as well. Camaro full, with a heater shirt over the top for water 45F or colder, was more comfortable than baggy dry suit. Yeah, you felt the cold on your legs, but it was a relatively dry cold and not shocking.

• Baller

Totally agree with everything! I bit the bullet and bought one last year to extend my season as long as possible (Northern Wisconsin) and am simply amazed at how warm mine is! I actually start to overheat until I get into the water, now I need a neoprene beanie and some thin neoprene socks to help fight the wind chill when air temps are 40F.

I have one of the Camaro "semi dry" suits, I can't remember the exact one (5mm thick). I only get very little water leakage and what does leak in my body temp warms up in no time.

• Baller

Is it worth the upgrade from the black Tec to the titanium

The black Tec is amazing I use it in 40 deg water and can't believe how warm it keeps me with very little leaking after 6 passes and stoping at each end I'm still almost dry inside. If I could only find something for my hands that was as good

• Baller
Camaros are worth every penny. I prefer the Blacktech. The Titanium is a thinner material and IMHO more fragile. When you are on the ski platform don't slip off on your butt (this will eventually degrade the material). Yes, you have to take care of them but they're crazy warm (right now our water is 46F). I'm 6'2" and 200lbs but have a long torso. 34 inch waist and 42 inch chest. XL for me. They stretch well.

• Baller
I have a full length Black Tec. I also own a full drysuit; something I once considered essential in cold water. Once I bought the Black Tec, I stopped using my drysuit - it's been on it's hangar in the basement for at least three years now. Guess I should sell it.

I have been using Camaro wetsuits and bough more for my whole family. We are all water-skiers that live in Athens, Greece. The water is warm year-round, so we rarely use them. But still, the suits are super delicate. Even with careful use, I started noticing holes after about 12-14 months. So I sent my suit for repair. At that time the Camaro website stated: “Our unconditional 3-year warranty service ensures free repair - no questions asked, no proof.”

And their repaired it. So I became one of Camaro’s best ambassadors!

But 12 months later the suit started getting damaged with significant holes, due to its extremely delicate material and stitching. So returned it for another repair an also noticed their website now states a much ‘milder’ language: “a 3 year repair service” https://www.camaro-watersports.com/en/3-year-repair-service/.

Obviously the delicate material was a problem for many…

Now Camaro (after asking for proof of purchase which I duly supplied) replied that they consider the wetsuit “Not repairable anymore. Condition of material won´t allow to mend it long-lasting.”

Obviously I asked for alternatives. After all this is within the 3 year warranty period. But Camaro simply passed the problem to their local dealer. The dealer has been extremely professional both with his communication and his products and delivery for years. But they cannot give a viable solution.

So my conclusions:

- Camaro’s powerful sounding statements: “We stand for excellent products and world-class service – we want our customers not only to be satisfied, we want them to be enthusiastic!” are just marketing…

- The material they use is super delicate.

Have you faced similar issues?

Which wetsuit do you recommend I buy?

Regards,

Onic Palandjian

• Supporting Member
I'm not sure what Camaro was thinking with the ironclad warranty. The product is inherently not durable. That's a real drawback, but I will HAPPILY buy a new one every year to get the clearly impossible warmth that it offers in a suit you can't even tell you're wearing!!

• Baller

I have a Camaro top and love it, except how easy it nicks up. And, it could fit snugger in the waist.

I have been very happy with an Xcel wetsuit top. Very warm. Fits snug all over. Durable.

• Baller
I guess the question it what is normal wear and tear. And how long should it last. For my self a 3 year warrant is great, but I know with the amount I use it Id be lucky to get 2 years out of it and with the performance I get out of the black tec its the only wet suit ill ever buy.

• Baller_
Camaro has different materials for their suits as well and as durable as any. But that comes at a cost to flexibility and not even feeling like your wearing a wetsuit. It's a trade off for sure. The Camaro SpeedSkin I just sold is way more durable then black or silver tec. And seemed really close to the same flexibility. Can't speak to their warranty claim and that seems to be a bummer. The first silvertec I had I destroyed-ish inside one season not knowing flexibility and warmth came at a cost of durability. In my case I'd be to embarrassed to send it in and tell them to fix it. Lesson learned for me. Handle with care or purchase one of their more durable models.

• Baller
I might have to look into getting a wetsuit. I have just been skiing in shorts and a life jacket even though local lake is usually around 50-60f even in the middle of summer. It's a little cool but not too bad

• Baller
I'M the OP on this thread, new sceen name, and my Camaro is good as ever still. Im not one to take great care of things either. I rather have a suit that works great and last three years, than a suit that last a long time that is hard to ski in and doesn't keep me warm.

• Baller
Y’all have convinced me to buy a Camero Blacktec next fall. I’ve been happy enough with a Henderson 3/2 jumpsuit, but they are made for diving, not skiing, and no doubt lack the flexibility of a Camero from what I am reading. The Camaros sound fantastic. Oh, as for durability, if I get one season out of it I’ll be happy. I put high value on comfort and I hate being cold. As a diver I would buy a new suit for every single dive trip... forget a full season... because suits undergo a compression set from repeated compression at depth, and therefore lose a degree of insulating value with use. So to get even one full season out of a suit skiing would be great and a small price to pay.

• Baller_
@Cnewbert prepared to be shocked and bewildered at the warmth and flexibility compared to a Henderson. One thing that keeps a skier warm unlike a normal wetsuit is the (blacktec) Camaro's ability to instantly wick/bead/sheet water off. By the time you are setting up for you gate pull out, the surface of the Camaro is 95%+ dry. No other wetsuit I've seen does this as most of the surface stays wet adding to the wind chill factor while skiing.

• Baller
I had an oneill shorty and full suit. They were pretty good, but the lack of flexibility just made it such a pain to put on and off, I stopped even using them. Last Christmas I got the blacktec and its so warm, and flexible, I use even when I could do without (may as well stay comfortable.) Granted our wetsuit season is pretty short in fl, but now after 2 seasons I see little wear, no doubt it will make it through a 3rd without issue. We rarely see water below 60 degrees, but the one time I tried in 58 degree water it was plenty warm.

• Baller

I just brought a O'Neil Hyperfreak zipperless 3/2, ordered a L/S, when it arrived looked like it was for a six year old and weighed hardly anything at all, I was amazed when I got into it, never been so comfortable in cold water, plus total freedom of movement.

Great Wetsuit !

• Baller
The camaro's are super warm and flexible. Just not very durable. I felt the Stokes is just as form fitting, just as flexible, more durable and nearly as warm--love STokes vests as well. I had a Camaro for one season, switchted to Stokes and it looks like new after multiple seasons.

• Members

I'm glad some other members had the courage to point out the one major flaw in the Camaro product - durability. For me, it was the LEAST durable ski suit I've ever owned. Insofar as they are not "cheap", I genuinely felt cheated as the suit began to fail miserably by year 2.

However, I found the solution for me, when I tried another guy's O'Neill suit. I ended up buying one right away, and after two seasons of use it is still in excellent condition and still works perfectly.

The suit I bought was an "O'Neill Psycho One, 3/2 Back Zip Wetsuit" (SKU: ONL4964BLKXLT), and the material ("Techno-Butter") is super stretchy and comfortable.

After diligent shopping I found the best price and delivery at "Cleanline Surf". This is the only O'Neill product I've ever owned, but I could not possibly be more satisfied, and I'm going to buy a second one this spring so I can take two sets per day without having to get back into a wet wetsuit. I'm sure there may be something even better out there - but for me, I found my brand.

• Baller

@RGilmore

Agreed. I have an O’Neill Psych Freak full wetsuit, with the Techno Butter. It keeps me 80% dry. It’s great for spring skiing up north.

I also have the Syndicate Dry-Flex heater top for cool mornings.

The Camaro Blacktec shorty will be the in-between. My wife loves hers.