Where are some ski courses in Michigan?

Mastercraft81SnS

• Baller_
@Mastercraft81SnS, where do you live? Or, maybe the better question is: where in Michigan are you willing/planning to travel? Public lake courses are difficult in Michigan, due to the heavy restrictiveness of the DNR, but there are some. I'll try to help you find some, if I can.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller_
@scotchipman, a few of these sites no longer exist (Placid Waters, the site in Charlotte) and all of them, except for Belleville Lake Water Ski Club, are private lakes. I also got the impression that @Mastercraft81SnS was looking for public courses.

• Members
What we more likely need is also a listing of where Ballers ski. For example, I'm on Pine Lake (Oakland County), and ski with my neighbors a lot. You might have some luck linking up with someone who has access to one of the private lakes/courses and come out the occasional session. It's not hard to convince us to ski and we're often looking for a third.

• Baller_

@Mastercraft81SnS, the closest public water to you would be the slalom course on the Grand River that the MSU ski team uses. I live near East Lansing, so I know the area very well and also know what a desert it is for available slalom courses. I am always looking for gravel pits and other opportunities to lease a lake in the area, but it is just not that common.

After the ski school closed in Charlotte, the land owner leased that lake to a ski club for some time. They later decided to discontinue doing that, but I don't know why. Maybe you could try to find out who owns the property now and whether they would be willing to let you use it.

Below is video of one of my first slalom lessons at Charlotte, when it was still a school. I think this is around 1991.

• Baller_

@Mastercraft81SnS, I think one of the other things you could do is find out who owns this lake near you. It's big enough for several simultaneous courses. If you need some advice on approaching the owners, I have been successful in the past and have a form letter and other tips for proposing an arrangement with the owner.

FYI, I have a portable slalom course, should you suddenly find yourself able to access this lake or other private site.

gxj9lf0sza8h.jpg

• Baller

We went TOUR-ing at Charlotte, MI in 1987 and 1988. Think the place was called Ski

Paradise. Deena set one of her World Records in jumping there in 1988: 47.5m (156'),

a mark that stood for 8 years before it was exceeded. That was when women were still

jumping at 5 feet. Those 2 tournaments had plenty of off-water intrigue.

• Baller

Don't just try to find the course,find the owners first and ask for permission to use the course even on a public lake!

Be prepared to repair any damage that you could cause.Have spare bungees,tie wraps,spare bouys and maybe magnets.

I own a course on a public lake and would welcome any skiers that would ask permission first and have stuff to repair the course.Also,you'll meet new ski partners for when you're missing a third...

My ski finish in 16.95 but my ass is out of tolerance!

• Baller

Warning this public slalom course info comes from along time ago. Therefore, the sites might (probably) not still exist but...

Lake Templane in Centreville

Boardman Lake just south of Traverse City

There is a river (perhaps the Albion River?), just south of Albion. (This is/was one of the best tournament sites in MI. There was something in the water that resulted in great slalom scores and probably some three-eyed fish.)