Course ski VS open water ski for 32mph 22 off skier

Jaypro

• Baller
After not skiing for almost 20 years, I have gotten back into slalom skiing as my kids have started skiing. I found a great deal on a prostar, and am now looking to upgrade my 1985 O'Brien TRC! I was never anything special, 22 off skier, but want to get back to 22 off and hopefully better. Now that I am 48 years old, I was considering skis like the vapor or Syndicate Type R or Mapple T3 vs the Senate or CX. Are skis like the Vapor/syndicate/T3 overkill for me if I want to focus on the course, or are these cross-over skis the way to go?

• Baller

@Jaypro welcome to BallofSpray! There was a long discussion on this last year, I will see if I can find it and post a link. It was a poll titled something like "would you put a new skier (or -15 off) on a high end ski."

I know you are not new to skiing but it will answer your question.

• Baller

I'd argue that a high-end ski is a good choice only if (i) you've got the money - and it doesn't eat in to funds you should be spending on coaching, and (ii) it's a ski that's proven to be stable/forgiving. While I think you'll find individual advocates who'll say the Syndicate & T3 are stable/forgiving, there just aren't enough skiers @ your level out there to get a lot of suitable feedback on those skis (most things I've read about the T3 are from very short line skiers). On the other hand, this forum is full of very assuring posts—at all levels—about the Vapor.

That said, both the CX and Senate Lithium seem to be fine skis and as per (i) above, if it frees up some $$ to see a coach as you work yourself back into skiing, it may be the wiser approach. My 2¢.

• Administrators

@jaypro I would send you toward the Radar Senate or the HO CX or the Conquer*

My reviews on these skis

HO CX

Radar Senate

O'Brien Conquer

My review of the Senate is on the older version. I expect to do a quick review of the 2016 Senate Lithium this spring. ( @eddie_roberts_jr where is my darn ski? )

*the Conquer is not really a mid level ski but it is so darn easy to ride.

• Baller
Thanks Horton! Its gonna be a while before I get on the lake here in Vermont!! I may try to sneak to Orlando over the kids april break. Any recommendations for a coaching day down there? Recovering from shoulder surgery last summer in addition to the 20 year break! I am sure I could use a day with a good coach.

• Administrators

@Jaypro it is like a buffet down there. You really can not go wrong with any of them.

If you are going to go Radar visit Matt Rini or the Wilsons Brothers

If you are going HO go see Jack Travers

If you are going to go O'Brien visit Drew Ross

T-Gas, Jodi Fisher, Kris La Point and so many more coaches down there. I wish I could come.

• Baller
I sure wouldn't be afraid to pull the trigger on a Vapor. I'm a good bit older than you and I love my 67" Vapor Lithium! it does everything I tell it to in a smooth and easy, forgiving manner. And it's easy on the body. You can demo one at Performance ski and Surf in Orlando and take it out to Matt Rini's Ski School where you can get a lesson and he can set it up perfectly for you.

• Baller
I was in your exact position six years ago ('82 Kidder Redline Graphite). I went with what was a less than forgiving tournament ski (O'brien Elite), but I still loved it. Everything in today's market skis easier than that Elite, but honestly, anything you buy will feel awesome after skiing 80's technology!

@jaypro

I ski with a few people that are at your level. I'd like to add something to the list above. I think a lot of people on this site are in incredible shape and may overlook one key item. If you have a bad back, and/or feel like you may be using to much energy getting up, I'd look at a shaped ski. The more time on the water and on the ski the better!

If you are fit, and have no issues getting up 12-24 times a day follow the mass consensus above.