Suggestions on which Inboard Boat Insurance Company to use

Booze

• Baller
I have been a State Farm agent for 30 years. I insure alot of boats We handle claims exactly as promised. I have had quite a few claims with my clients over the years, and each claim was taken care of, the client was made as they were before the loss. If you use the boat in a competition, State Farm excludes that, so another carrier should be used if you use the boat to pull tournaments. Other than that, State Farm insures more recreational boats in the USA than any other carrier... there is a reason for that. If you own a boat, have cars & a home an Umbrella should always be a part of the protection plan. While price is important, protection is really why we all have insurance. Get a good agent who knows his stuff, and don't listen to silly advise from people that aren't experts.

• Baller_
I bundled mine with all my other insurance through Auto-Owners. I haven't had a claim yet. I also maintain my own separate umbrella liability policy. I think the boat coverage alone was about $140. My liability policy is affected by more than the boat (teenage drivers), so I don't really worry about the boat impacting that so much.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller_

$78,000 on new 16 SN 200 and trailer, $1 million in liability and tournament coverage , Ski Safe and pay $445.00 per year.

Boat will Tow over 20 tournament over the next 2 years.

I just got off the Phone with a State Farm Claims manager after over 30 day's of Cluster #$%@ on their behalf. on Jan 21 A distracted driver rear ended my Tahoe at over 45mph while I was stopped waiting on oncoming traffic and making a left hand turn into my shop. Totaled my shop truck. Talked to their claims team over a period of 30 day's and never talked to the same person twice, nearly 20 people in all until yesterday a manager finally admitted that they suck and today she called me back and claimed a settlement was in the mail (Check's in the mail international Lie #1 !).

What a Great Company !! LOL!!! Bunch of lying clowns! would stick hot pokers in my eye's before utilizing State Farm for any thing!!

A Good Neighbor??? Claims team???

"Rant"" Sorry!

• Baller

Hmm, very different than my claims. Call my agent, give them the details and all done. Heard back from both of the people that my kids ran into and they said that their repairs were handled quickly with no drama. When the tree fell on my roof I had a check in about 2 weeks.

FWIW - if I try to quote my boat through skisafe I get through the whole form and it says - sorry we can't quote this boat. Also tried an imaginary 2012 Response and got the same result

• Baller

Jody, why don't you utilize your own insurance on the boat for your claim, thats what you pay for! Your insurance company will subrogate from State Farm. Much simpler than doing the work yourself. just a thought...

• Baller_
@oldjeep, I looked it up and I was mistaken. I paid $96 for the boat policy. It included $30,000 coverage for the boat, $5000 for the trailer, and $1,000,000 in liability. It is a rider on my house policy. My umbrella policy adds another $1,000,000 liability.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

progressive has been awesome for us. Never made a boat claim but have had a few auto claims and they have been spot on. I agree with @Jody_Seal we left State Farm after making our one and only claim after 20 yrs!! 20 yrs no claims then we finally have a claim and they stuck it to us. They made it easy to shop for other insurance.

• Baller
FYI on your claim Jody, that is a property damage claim from the driver who hit you. Based on your story. That has nothing to do with boat insurance... You didn't involve your insurance company. Therefore you had no agent dealing in a complex process, you were trying to deal with a claim process with a claims team. Sounds like your insurance agent, if you have one & your company could step up on your behalf and end all the frustration... and now we know more of the story. Yes insurance is complicated. You need someone you can trust who knows the ins & outs of the insurance business. I see this all the time, people watch TV ads from the GEKO & FLO & think this is easy, this is just a commodity that I want for the cheapest price. I'm here to tell you that you are dealing with legal contracts, and if you don't have an agent who understands those, well GOOD Luck, you can always hire an attorney at $350 plus an hour to unravel the mess. I stand by State Farm, they have treated my clients well for over 32 years and continue to do so!!!

• Baller_

@Rich

Boat was not on the truck! Truck only had Liability. Other driver at fault! I am in Florida!

Dr Moe (Daughter) Had a similar incident on I 75 north of Tampa a couple years back. Accident on freeway ahead she was stopped, young new driver could not get it shut down and ran up the back side of her Mazda, They had Geico insurance. Two day's after the accident, car in my boat yard a Geico claims adjuster totaled the car and after a little down home dickering wrote a check on the spot. Next day her and I went and found her another car... That's how its should be!!

• Baller
Ski Safe, Ski Safe, Ski Safe. My boat burned in a fire in March of 2000. I was all a panic and the guy from Ski Safe said don't worry, your covered, go shopping. Exact words. Covered the entire price I paid for the boat plus an additional $1,000 for the trailer. They are very reasonable, but I think the biggest factor in judging an insurance company is how they process your claim.

• Baller

My home and auto insurance and boat financing are through USAA. As someone mentioned they no longer provide boat insurance and have some kind of association with Progressive. I got a quote from progressive. Global Marine was some much less if I remember right about a 1/3 of progressive.

I did just go through a property damage case were someone ran off the road into my property. The person had Progressive and they were quite easy to work with. I was very impressed.

Great experience with Global Marine - they understand tournament boat that are actually used for tournaments. The prices are good and the coverage includes competitive use - so if you use your boat to tow practice or an event, you are covered. The fine print in Progressive (I was USAA until the dropped the coverage) specifically excluded sanctioned events (the event had to hold primary insurance) and, by my read, even a sanctioned practice. So, I switched.

Lesson Learned: Read the fine print, not just the summary.

• Baller

Boat US is aligned with USA Waterski and they have very good boat insurance rates. They paid quickly and efficiently on two ski injuries under the Medical portion of my boat policy. Zero out of pocket for torn bicep and lis franc foot break while skiing. Oh, after that - no increase in premium either.

http://www.usawaterski.org/boatusinsurance/ Sorry Horton, I don't see a short link option above the comment box

• Baller

Colebrah or anyone else that might know:

I just did a quote with Ski Safe for a 2014 Centurion Carbon Pro I am looking at. It gave a quote for two different packages. The higher priced package was $314 for I believe the Captions package. I live in Chattanooga TN.

Question:

I will be using this boat on a private ski lake leased by a ski club. Do I need any kid of extra riders for using a boat on a private lake to cover the ski club.

Liability was $100,000. This seems low. Can you get larger liability on a boat thru ski safe?

Thanks.

oldmanskier