Skiing Related injuries

Horton

• Administrators

I think a list of Baller skiing related injuries might be interesting. Please list skiing injuries only. Walking into a barbed wire fence drunk at a ski lake is not a skiing injury.

My list:

1. Left ACL torn and repaired. Jumping (1993 ish)

2. Right PCL torn and not repaired. Jumping (1994 ish)(end of my jumping career)

3. Right ankle – miscellaneous tendon damage. Unstable and weak 10+ years later. Slalom with homemade hardshells (2003 ish)

4. Right big toe – Turf Toe (hyper extended upwards). Uncovering the boat. Sucks. Embarrassing. (2015)

5. Left Bicep Rupture and repair. Slalom (2015)

• Baller_

1. Badly sprained ankle from a violent OTF in low wrap rubber binding 1982. 6 month recovery time since I was young and didn’t stay off it.

2. Gash in forehead from OTF and tip of ski hit forehead. ~2” gash down to the bone with stitches in 2 layers 1982. If the ski hit 2 inches lower, I would probably only have 1 eye today.

3. Bruised ribs ~ half a dozen times from breaking ropes or lean lock and summersault. Typical recovery time 3-6 weeks 1985-2003

4. Torn rhomboid muscle 1990. 4 week recovery time.

I’m assuming old age related pains, i.e. sore back, minor muscle/joint tweaks don’t count.

If it was easy, they would call it Wakeboarding

• Administrators

@Bruce_Butterfield that reminds me

Rib dislocation. Slalom skiing before Perfect Pass. Driver and observer (Jack Hanna & my dad) were arguing and not paying attention. Driver (Hanna) gassed the crap out of me going from 1 to 2 ball. Big OTF. I have had a knob on my rib cage ever since (1995 ish)

I am sure @Dirt thinks this is funny

• Baller

Dislocated cartilage around my sternum, rounded the 6 ball at 28 off in tournament with the whole rope in the water and I sure as hell wasn't letting go. Barely stayed in my bindings but I made it through the end gates. Shoulders got pulled forward and together so hard it dislocated the cartilage

Rib cage injury glen wood MN, on my way to the 6 ball at 32 off in tourney. Would've been the first time I ran it in tournament had I not imploded OTF

sprained SI joint lower right back, practice overturned the 5 ball again at 32 off

• Baller

Bruised ribs

Dislocated my shoulder a few times - improperly healed collarbone from a snow ski accident is the original cause of that problem

Had a bee fly into my mouth and sting me in the throat in the middle of the lake - and I'm fairly alergic

• Baller

1, Lisfranc fracture right foot

2. Ruptured distal bicep tendon right arm

3. Broken left wrist

4. Broken right wrist

5. Ruptured forehead above right eye. 12 stitches

6. Bruised ribs

7. Hip pointer right hip

8. Very bruised ego.

• Baller

Knocked 3 top teeth out and broke nose landing a backroll on a wakeboard - took up slalom as primary - 6 surgeries over three years - 1999

Several Sprained ankles learning the course 2003-2006

Torn labrum in left shoulder - lean lock at 28 off circa 2010

Knee sprain rounding 6 ball at 35 off trying to complete first full 35 ever - 2015 - goal delayed:)

• Baller

Listing only the ones that meant 2+ months out of the water. Less than that is not an injury, just a scratch...

Ruptured disc and cervical tendon between C6-C7

Post-tibial tendon sprain - worst tendon sprain you can get

• Baller

Detached Bicep Tendon and forearm crush injury from arm through handle - 2004, 5 month recovery.

Dislocated elbow - 2014, 4 month recovery. Ironically the dislocation resulted from keeping the handle to prevent another arm through handle injury. Given the choice I'll take the dislocation every day.

• Baller_

1. Trashed right ankle 1974, twisting, one foot in one foot out fall, slalom. I still can not run in a straight line on it, but it keeps me from being shamed into an Ironman by my friends;

2. Five broken ribs, two most recently in 2011, two jump, three slalom;

3. Two broken ear drums, one slalom one trick, left and right 1973 and ?;

4. Full thickness right rotator cuff tear circa 2001, slalom, first injured (partial tear) in 1988, and repaired circa 2002;

5. Partial thickness left rotator cuff tear, slalom, unrepaired;

6. Dislocated left pinky toe, slamming into a Wiley on the dock, sort of slalom, 1998 ish;

7. 10 stitches, 1977, barefooting; hit in the head with the drop ski;

8. I'm pretty sure I dislocated my wrist in a hand through the handle fall, but I never did anything about it other than have my ski partner pop it back into place, 1980 ish;

9. Bruised kidney, jumping, 1982 (last tournament jump until 2014);

10. Chronic golfer's elbow;

11. I also partially cut off my right thumb eating water melon in my ski partner's kitchen and water skied down the lake to the marina to go to the hospital to get my hand stitched up in about 1976.

Lpskier