weed killer, not lake

rodltg2

• Baller

having trouble killing off our my weeds in the yard. first bought some ortho wed b gone. did nothing. then bought some round up, same result. its like i'm shooting them with miracle grow , not weed killer! any suggestions. have a lot of area to cover. below is small area I treated. was all dirt and weeds. I trimmed them as low as I could applied generous round up and covered in bark. few days later, weeds are poking thru arrrggg!5y46p04vlibr.jpg

• Baller
A second for Reward. Used it to clear up my lake in GA when it got nearly totally ckoked with an aggressive aquatic weed. Tried some on weeds in the garden, turned brown the same day, weeds gone just days later. The post that noted best time is in the morning is correct. Works best when weeds are actively involved in photosynthesis. Save money and buy generic brand.

• Baller
My sister showed me an organic roundup that she found online, 1 gallon white vinegar, 2 cups salt, 1/4 cup dawn dish detergent. Works unbelievably well. I am a farmer and deal with weeds and chemical all the time, and for around the yard, you can't beat this stuff!!

• Baller
Do you want kill broadleaf weeds or grass? Makes a difference. If broad leaf weeds try 2-4-d ester or amine. Slightly different compound. You can also try Bayer brush killer plus which is designed for woody stem weeds.

• Baller

I have used Ortho GroundClear with good results. It is not good at killing weeds but will prevent them from growing back.

Spray the weeds with Roundup. Then spray the ground with a good coat of GroundClear. Wait two-three weeks and spray the GroundClear again. Nothing will grow in that area for 10 months to a year.

• Baller
Hey,if you're talking about 2 1/2 acres I'm sure you don't want to kill EVERYTHING. Who would want that much bare earth. You just need to kill weeds I would guess. Stick with 2-4-d, best applied in the fall. Do it now and then again in October.

• Baller
Round Up is a systemic herbicide. As @boarditup points out, it is absorbed thru the leaves. It is made for being able to replant shortly after application, so putting it directly into the ground is just a waste. No effect at all.

• Baller

I've never had any luck with roundup or any of the other weed killers sold in most home improvement stores. Coat the weeds and nothing happens but the overspray that gets on the grass 5 feet away turns the grass brown....wtf?! Also, roundup takes so long to kill the weeds that more have taken their place long before the ones you sprayed actually die. Poison ivy typically takes 2-3 weeks to finally die. Feels like killing an ant line one by one as they come past. You might eventually win but you'll be there forever.

Anyway, I use Diquat. In comparison, it's not that expensive because you use so little in the mix. It doesn't kill the roots but it kills the plant in a day or two. If I keep on top of it, I can keep the ground clear by reapplying every 3-4 weeks.

• Baller

Herbicides are not one size fits all. The active ingredients are developed and labeled (approved) for specific purposes. The active ingredient in your standard "Round Up" is Glysophate, Ground Clear utilizes Glysophate+Imazapyr. The Imazapyr acts as a pre emergent. Round up sells products with the same active ingredients. I buy my herbicide based upon the active chemical and what I want to control (and where). I believe Diquat can be sprayed near/over water. I don't believe that is the case with Glysophate or Imazapyr.

I prefer Glysophate+Imazapyr when I want to control currently growing weeds and want to control future weed growth (generally up to a year) or hard to kill things (e.g. black berries). Under broadleaf trees or areas that I plan to re-plant I use Glysohate only. I don't care about brand, I buy the active chemical at the best deal. I generally purchase at the local farm supply store. Mix based upon label and utilize a back back sprayer. ALWAYS FOLLOW THE LABEL!!! Some of these chemicals are relatively harmless, some are pretty bad. Some can be sprayed over water, some require a large buffer because they can do bad things in water.

My advice: Do a little research on what you trying to kill. READ THE LABEL. Buy based upon active chemical. READ THE LABEL. Don't worry about brand names. Follow the label.

If you are dealing with something stubborn, invasive exotic species, or a relatively large area I would consider looking into your local Agriculture Extension program, they may be able to give some expert guidance on the species you are trying to control and any state or local regulations.

For reference: I oversee a program which utilizes areas and ground applied herbicide on over 10,000 acres a year.

Bcm, we had our 100 acre lake infested with weeds last year. Tried everything. Eventually it died out, but at one time was so bad it looked like you could walk from one shore to another. Like foam on the surface. If we didn't ski everyday, our path would weed over and we were done.

Any advice for large scale weed control? Was milfoil, duckweed, Alge, and probably a few others.

• Baller

@yardsale - I work in upland areas away from water. Most of what we utilize requires a 25-50+ft buffer from water. I have very little experience with herbicides approved for use over open water or the weeds which grow in lakes. The link below may be a good starting point. Also, I would look into any Agricultural Extension program through your states university system (not sure what state you are in). They may be able to point you in the right direction. In states where irrigation ponds are common this is a big issue in the ag community and the extension programs often have people who can help.

https://lakerestoration.com/t-milfoil-control.aspx

• Baller

@yardsale What @BCM said regarding getting advice from local Ag Extension. It was a well respected expert with our local extension that recommended a 2 punch approach with diquat (Reward) and grass carp. The bacopa caroliniana that infested our lake is a tough viney plant that the carp don't care for. So, he recommended the diquat to get some initial kill in the dense areas and around our slalom course (of course) and add the carp to eat new growth and help a little with the established weed. Worked awesome.

Add the liquid diquat to bags of oil dry (in a plastic storage tote), about 2-1/2 to 3 gallons per 80 lbs oil dry. Let it soak in for 3 days or more. Then, broadcast the oil dry on the lake. You should see weeds dying in about 2 weeks.

But, per @BCM - have your local extension check your specific weed. Different weeds require different herbicides.

Sorry for redirecting this thread ....

• Baller

I'm a bit confused as to why you want to sterilize a couple acres. Wouldn't it be cheaper, easier and safer to just mow it? Heck, till it and plant it in some useful crop.

After being cited by the fire department for weeds on a lot we had, I cleared the lot. I got cited by the county for clearing the lot! The costs of the permits, remediation and potential fines forced us to sell the lot. Moral, be very careful clearing property.

Eric